U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 05:10 PM

11 posts, read 14,587 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much! I'm getting more excited about it the more I read. I'm most interested to get away from the humidity because I just cannot grasp the idea of dry heat since I've always lived on the east coast and we're in the middle of a heat wave. Glad to hear that sports are huge out there. I love hockey, football, and baseball so I'm glad Phoenix has all of that!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 05:43 PM

9,092 posts, read 17,817,257 times
heh ... hockey could be a bit on the shaky side ... but still have it currently........

football has ASU, the cardinals, a pair of bowl games and occasional special events

baseball is great - from spring training, to ASU (and other schools), to the diamondbacks, the rookie summer instructional leagues and my favorite gem - the arizona fall league

lots of really good sports bars in the area ...... way more than what I remember being back east

although, you didn't mention what school you are graduating from - if you a blue hen I cannot wish you any happiness in collegiate sports though

Old 08-06-2012, 05:44 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,591,032 times
Somebody mentioned Meetup.com and yes, it's a great way to meet people with like backgrounds or interests. That's what I did about a year ago and I met a ton of people and made a ton of new friends that way, so I highly recommend it! The one I joined was AZ Young Professionals Social Group, and last I checked there are about 2,000 members, so you are bound to meet some cool people in a group that big.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
heh ... hockey could be a bit on the shaky side ... but still have it currently........

football has ASU, the cardinals, a pair of bowl games and occasional special events

baseball is great - from spring training, to ASU (and other schools), to the diamondbacks, the rookie summer instructional leagues and my favorite gem - the arizona fall league

lots of really good sports bars in the area ...... way more than what I remember being back east

although, you didn't mention what school you are graduating from - if you a blue hen I cannot wish you any happiness in collegiate sports though
Sounds great! We might disagree when it comes to collegiate sports. I graduated from Towson University so we're rivals. haha

Old 08-06-2012, 06:29 PM

9,092 posts, read 17,817,257 times
I went to Drexel ...... not sure if I would consider Towson much of a rival

(there is always lax .... but then Towson wouldn't consider Drexel much of a rival - although it's getting closer)

Although to the best of my memory the last basketball game I attended was the season ending game against Towson .... a 30 point favorite they ended up losing by 30 ..... I think I drank an ounce of whiskey after the game for each point in the differential ...... such is the way of the Dragon though

It's all CAA love - except for the blue hens

Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Could not agree more. Even though I have pride for Delaware, I do not have much love for UD. Definitely a Tiger all the way. I'm pretty sure all of the student body drowned its sorrows during basketball season at Towson. I mean we hold the record for most losses.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM

58 posts, read 107,005 times
I have a bunch of friends that moved from Delaware... They love it. We are from Jersey and also moving soon. People are much nicer and the city is SO clean compared to the east coast. You will flourish and we all believe it's just a better quality of life

Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 PM

That's awesome! That's both exciting and promising to hear that there are people from Delaware and New Jersey out there!

Old 08-06-2012, 09:10 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,264,480 times
Avoid bars and driving. But if you go to bars, use public transportation. Old Town Scottsdale is pretty active at night. At least when I was living there ten years ago. Tempe near ASU is of course a 20-something crowd.

But since you say you are into fitness (the opposite of having a buzz several days a week from partying), in the day time there is the Scottsdale greenbelt. There is a sidewalk path that you can roller blade on. It runs 12 miles from Central Scottsdale to Tempe near ASU along Tempe Towne Lake. There are fitness clubs such as Lifetime Fitness in Scottsdale, probably the best. LA Fitness is up there in quality but not as good as LifeTime. Mountain Biking rules in the cool season. McDowell Mtn Park is a great place to start the mountain biking season. There are trails all over Phoenix for biking. In the summer the area around Showlow and Flagstaff is awesome for mountain biking.

I can go on but...Arizona is full of great fitness opportunities.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM

3 posts, read 2,149 times
Default Scottsdale is awesome =)

I moved from NY over a year ago - best choice I ever made! It does get a little warm out her in Arizona, but its worth it never to have to shovel snow again.
It was a little tough finding the perfect house within our price range - It actually took about 4 months! We decided to look in the North East Valley ( Scottsdalel / PV, North Phoenix area), which seemed like the safest area. We orginally only planned to have to stay in a hotel for about two weeks, but the deal that was a "sure bet" fell through.
Luckily, our realtor helped set us up at an apartment-like hotel in Scottsdale while we continued our search for our new home. So far, I LOVE it here! The shopping, grocery store options, schools, parks, biking, hiking, night life - its great. And I have to agree with another persons post, it is A LOT cleanner out here than back east - at least in the NE valley. If youre planning on relocating I would recommend looking in the Scottsdale area. It has a bad rep for being snobby, but its just a high class area.
I do need to mention since they took awesome care of me and the Homewood suites was my home for 4 months and as excited as I was to find a home, I was sad to leave my new friends at the hotel. If you need a place to stay while you look around, I recommend the Homewood in Scottsdale. They have a free shuttle, so between the realtor driving us around all day and the hotel van taking us grocery shopping, we didnt have to waste money on a rental. I hope this information helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area