U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM

701 posts, read 1,021,890 times

Advertisements

I will definitely second (or third or fourth) meetup. The meetup groups out here are really active, and you'll meet some great people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 14,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellemcn111 View Post
I moved from NY over a year ago - best choice I ever made! It does get a little warm out her in Arizona, but its worth it never to have to shovel snow again.
It was a little tough finding the perfect house within our price range - It actually took about 4 months! We decided to look in the North East Valley ( Scottsdalel / PV, North Phoenix area), which seemed like the safest area. We orginally only planned to have to stay in a hotel for about two weeks, but the deal that was a "sure bet" fell through.
Luckily, our realtor helped set us up at an apartment-like hotel in Scottsdale while we continued our search for our new home. So far, I LOVE it here! The shopping, grocery store options, schools, parks, biking, hiking, night life - its great. And I have to agree with another persons post, it is A LOT cleanner out here than back east - at least in the NE valley. If youre planning on relocating I would recommend looking in the Scottsdale area. It has a bad rep for being snobby, but its just a high class area.
I do need to mention since they took awesome care of me and the Homewood suites was my home for 4 months and as excited as I was to find a home, I was sad to leave my new friends at the hotel. If you need a place to stay while you look around, I recommend the Homewood in Scottsdale. They have a free shuttle, so between the realtor driving us around all day and the hotel van taking us grocery shopping, we didnt have to waste money on a rental. I hope this information helps!
We actually began the housing search today and I looked at an apartment off Tatum (I think that's the NE valley or some part of the valley? haha). I loved it and so far I love it out here. I cannot get over the scenery and mountains, they are beautiful. Thank you so much for your advice!!

Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM

357 posts, read 657,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunk22 View Post
We actually began the housing search today and I looked at an apartment off Tatum (I think that's the NE valley or some part of the valley? haha). I loved it and so far I love it out here. I cannot get over the scenery and mountains, they are beautiful. Thank you so much for your advice!!
Definitely come back and ask us about apartment complexes. Tatum has some really nice places but most people in their early 20's gravitate towards the old town area - if they're going to be going out on weekends. If not Tatum is a great location mostly. Feel free to message me directly as well, I'd be happy to give more specific tips on places to go that fit your style, whether it's clubs, breweries, dive bars, etc. Unlike some places there's a very wide variety of nightlife and cultures here so I don't want you to be turned off by going to the wrong places.

Also, everywhere within 5-10 miles of your work will be safe, so you're lucky there (just probably avoid south of McDowell, it can get more hit and miss).

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM

7,140 posts, read 10,423,806 times
Quote:
Thank you so much! I'm working at VIP Mortgage as a marketing coordinator. I'll have my car out there but i'm not opposed to public transportation at all. My max preferred commute would be 30-45 minutes to work.

My likes would include shopping, good restaurants, sports, good night life, fitness, and charity. I guess that's basically all you listed, lol. I love working out so hiking and co-ed sports sound great! I played club and intramural sports throughout college. I'm about to turn 22 so a nightlife or just great restaurants with happy hours and great food sound great, as well. I would like to get into more charities and do more volunteer work so I'm definitely interested in that, too. Thank you again for all of your suggestions!
Where in Scottsdale is VIP Mortgage? I don't know if you have been to Scottsdale, but it's more than just an average suburb ... it's really its own city in that it takes up a large amount of land area, has a population of nearly 300,000, and has its own brand of culture, entertainment, shopping, and nightlife. Many people think of Scottsdale as too upper class and snobbish, but it's really not. Old Town and downtown would have what you're looking for as far as nightlife and good restaurants, so living & working close by to downtown Scottsdale would require a lot less driving. Remember that in the Phoenix metro area, you can easily put thousands of miles on your car in a short amount of time & never leave the city. That's how big this area is.

Quote:
Tatum Boulevard? That's not even in Scottsdale ... it's considered NE Phoenix or Paradise Valley area. That area is nice, but it's typical suburbia with not much of a nightlife. Not sure if that area would be to your liking or not.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Definitely come back and ask us about apartment complexes. Tatum has some really nice places but most people in their early 20's gravitate towards the old town area - if they're going to be going out on weekends. If not Tatum is a great location mostly. Feel free to message me directly as well, I'd be happy to give more specific tips on places to go that fit your style, whether it's clubs, breweries, dive bars, etc. Unlike some places there's a very wide variety of nightlife and cultures here so I don't want you to be turned off by going to the wrong places.

Also, everywhere within 5-10 miles of your work will be safe, so you're lucky there (just probably avoid south of McDowell, it can get more hit and miss).
I'm coming back again this coming weekend, hopefully, to sign a lease. We hired another realtor since the first trip didn't work out. My budget is $800 and we are finding it difficult to find an apartment or condo for that price. Some of the places we saw were sketchy and as a single girl living by myself, security is my top priority. I realized the places on Tatum were beautiful but they were farther than I wanted to be from work and downtown. I would love to be in Old Town because, as everyone has said, it is young and has great nightlife. HOwever, any tips and advice on clubs, bars, and everything else is always welcomed. I will direct message you for sure! Thank you again and I look forward to talking with you more!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:57 AM

891 posts, read 2,079,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
(just probably avoid south of McDowell, it can get more hit and miss).
I've lived south of McDowell for over 2.5 years now and I don't understand the reputation the area gets. There are a lot of younger people, both single and families, in my current condo complex. When I lived in a single family home the neighbors were significantly older, but in both cases everyone has been very nice and I have always felt safe. As far as affordability goes you can't beat the area anywhere else in Scottsdale. It definitely isn't as upscale as the rest of the city but it is worlds better than Tempe, Mesa, or many parts of Phoenix. And I love that it is so centrally located in relation to all the other valley cities. It is right by both Old Town and Mill Avenue, where a lot of the bars and nightlife are located. You can drive to a lake within an hour, or hop on the 101/202 very easily to get anywhere you need to go. And the trolley picks up right outside my front door if I don't feel like driving to Old Town for happy hour!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:20 AM

357 posts, read 657,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
I've lived south of McDowell for over 2.5 years now and I don't understand the reputation the area gets. There are a lot of younger people, both single and families, in my current condo complex. When I lived in a single family home the neighbors were significantly older, but in both cases everyone has been very nice and I have always felt safe. As far as affordability goes you can't beat the area anywhere else in Scottsdale. It definitely isn't as upscale as the rest of the city but it is worlds better than Tempe, Mesa, or many parts of Phoenix. And I love that it is so centrally located in relation to all the other valley cities. It is right by both Old Town and Mill Avenue, where a lot of the bars and nightlife are located. You can drive to a lake within an hour, or hop on the 101/202 very easily to get anywhere you need to go. And the trolley picks up right outside my front door if I don't feel like driving to Old Town for happy hour!
I've lived there too when I went to ASU and I agree there can be nice areas and I never felt unsafe in my exact neighborhood but didn't love going to that Fry's on McDowell and Miller (?) late at night for instance. Because it sounds like she'll be living alone, working in McCormick Ranch, and doesn't know the area well I figured it'd be easier to suggest neighborhoods that are less hit or miss and a little closer to her work. Some apartment complexes south of McDowell are very nice, some not as much. Just coming from a female who lived alone right out of college as well (for the first time) safety of the neighborhood and complex was #1.

Also, getting a realtor is a good idea or checking out Craigslist - you'll have to sort through a lot of crap and map places but put in "Old Town" and your rent amount and lots of stuff should pop up. I rented my old condo 3 years ago on Indian School/Hayden for $700/month (negotiated down from $750 because it was vacant). Rent might have gone up but a couple condo complexes to check out that used to be apartments are Sunscape, Indian Terrace, Scottsdale Terrace. All were converted during the boom to condos but over the past 4 years many were lost to foreclosure so investors bought them and rent them out. All the complexes were redone, in a great area right outside Old Town and very close to Hayden or the 101 for you to get to work. There's tons of great complexes out there that are "condo" in addition to the ones I mentioned so having a realtor will really help in seeing those listings.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 PM

It's official! I'm renting a condo on right off Shea on N. 69th St. So excited! Now, any tips for the social scene of Scottsdale or just living there in Arizona in general? Where is the best place to buy groceries as well? Thank you all!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM

891 posts, read 2,079,113 times
There are 4 grocery stores just west at Tatum and Shea: Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Albertsons, and Fry's. I like the first two because they generally have better quality produce/meats and many delicious specialty items. Fry's is a nice store because it has a bigger selection overall and is pretty cheap, but for fresh produce and meat it is not as good. I go there to stock up on dry goods/drinks when they have their "buy 10 items, get $5 off special".

Fresh 'n' Easy at Scottsdale and Shea has fresh pizza/pretzel/foccacia dough, fresh basil pesto/salsa/etc, and fresh mozzarella balls (not that hard crap that all the big chain stores carry). Some of their produce is good but for that I prefer Sprouts (see below)

Sprouts Farmer's Market on Shea east of the 101 has bulk foods for a good price as well as delicious organic produce, bakery items, and specialty items. (There is also another Fry's nearby)

AJ's Fine Foods at Lincoln and Scottsdale has fantastic seafood and meat as well as prepared lunches/dinners/desserts, but it is pricey.

Finally, if you drink soda check the Safeway ad for weekly specials. They don't require a minimum $25/$35 purchase like most other stores and occasionally have awesome specials (last time I bought soda it was buy 2 twelve packs get 4 free). There is one at Scottsdale and Shea

Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 PM

81 posts, read 320,501 times
Did you see the scorpion thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area