Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 15,145 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent college grad who has been put through the ringer of the job market but I have a job opportunity in Scottsdale, Arizona. I'm a born and raised East Coast girl and I do not know anyone out there. However, given the fact that it's a job and I can travel, it's the opportunity of a lifetime and why not I'm young? Anyway, I'm seeking advice, stories, any pieces of information available. I'm excited about this chance but also nervous so any bit of advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
have you looked thru all the other threads here??!!.....there is a lot of "advice, stories" and "pieces of information" in them!.....

otherwise, do you have specific questions or concerns?....thanks

Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Are you confident enough in your ability to be self-dependant? Will you be OK being away from friends/family? Are you OK not seeing snow again (unless you drive up to Flagstaff)? If so, and if its "the opportunity of a lifetime" why not do it?

Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
You finally got a job offer. Congratulations. Go for it. You'll make friends and do just fine. The majority of people here are from somewhere else.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:45 PM

I am in the process of looking through all of the threads so I'm learning as I'm reading. I guess my major questions are what's the best way to meet new people besides through my new job (maybe a younger crowd) and what's the biggest differences in culture?

I'm definitely okay with being away from home. I went away to school so being independent is perfectly fine with me. My cousin lives in Tucson, which is only about 2 hours I think from Scottsdale.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:40 PM

357 posts, read 711,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adunk22 View Post
I am in the process of looking through all of the threads so I'm learning as I'm reading. I guess my major questions are what's the best way to meet new people besides through my new job (maybe a younger crowd) and what's the biggest differences in culture?

I'm definitely okay with being away from home. I went away to school so being independent is perfectly fine with me. My cousin lives in Tucson, which is only about 2 hours I think from Scottsdale.
Hi, welcome to Phoenix (soon!). I'm in my 20's and in that stage where I still go out once in awhile but am starting to settle down a bit but would be happy to give you any tips on nightlife or things to do in your 20's.

Where will you be working? And what's your max preferred commute? Some more info on your likes/dislikes would help in steering you where to meet people - and where to live. For instance, do you like co-ed sports (softball/kickball), or do you like hiking/biking more? Or shopping, charity, partying? Whatever it is Phoenix does have plenty of ways to meet people.

There's tons of organizations you can find..college alumni organizations, if you were in a sorority in college find an alumni chapter, join a 20/30 "charity" club (lots of socializing, and some charity), check out city's websites to try and find a sports team to join, or hikers group. Scottsdale has some co-ed sports in the Old Town area where on weekdays it's pretty much all people in their 20's. It seems silly but just put yourself out there with different organizations and something will stick.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:19 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
I'm sure you know about meetup.com, right?....lots of special interest groups in there....

Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Hi, welcome to Phoenix (soon!). I'm in my 20's and in that stage where I still go out once in awhile but am starting to settle down a bit but would be happy to give you any tips on nightlife or things to do in your 20's.

Where will you be working? And what's your max preferred commute? Some more info on your likes/dislikes would help in steering you where to meet people - and where to live. For instance, do you like co-ed sports (softball/kickball), or do you like hiking/biking more? Or shopping, charity, partying? Whatever it is Phoenix does have plenty of ways to meet people.

There's tons of organizations you can find..college alumni organizations, if you were in a sorority in college find an alumni chapter, join a 20/30 "charity" club (lots of socializing, and some charity), check out city's websites to try and find a sports team to join, or hikers group. Scottsdale has some co-ed sports in the Old Town area where on weekdays it's pretty much all people in their 20's. It seems silly but just put yourself out there with different organizations and something will stick.
Thank you so much! I'm working at VIP Mortgage as a marketing coordinator. I'll have my car out there but i'm not opposed to public transportation at all. My max preferred commute would be 30-45 minutes to work.

My likes would include shopping, good restaurants, sports, good night life, fitness, and charity. I guess that's basically all you listed, lol. I love working out so hiking and co-ed sports sound great! I played club and intramural sports throughout college. I'm about to turn 22 so a nightlife or just great restaurants with happy hours and great food sound great, as well. I would like to get into more charities and do more volunteer work so I'm definitely interested in that, too. Thank you again for all of your suggestions!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
I'm sure you know about meetup.com, right?....lots of special interest groups in there....
I've never heard of that site but I'll definitely check it out!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:55 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
It sounds like you should be pretty happy then - the climate is a world different, but then again the climate was one of the things I hated about DE when I lived in Wilmington for a little bit ....... who knew it could be both sweaty soupy and skin cracking dry at the same time................

If you are in involved with all of those things you'll have no problem meeting people ....... lots of good hiking and good recreational opportunities

It's a sports fans mecca out here - especially for baseball

Tons of restaurants, happy hours, etc - especially in Scottsdale .... also I really like the mid-town area of phoenix

Public transportation stinks out here by and large - so bring that car

Also, the metro is huge ....... if you took the swath from newark to dover and filled it in with a grid of duplicating housing developments, strip malls, commercial plazas and other types of phoenix landscape you'd get an idea of the metro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area