Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 04:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The problem was specifically roof rats, and the cause was presumed to be citrus trees, i.e. people not harvesting/removing mature fruit. Arcadia seems to have been where the problem started, although it has spread to many other areas. I have heard reports of them here in Willo, although have not had the problem personally. I *think* that roof rats are somewhat under control when compared to a few years ago since you don't hear so much about them lately.
Yes, allowing citrus trees to drop fruit on the ground is a great attraction to varmints of every type. It happens in California all the time. Arcadia was built on what used to be lemon tree groves. Taking care of the trees takes care of the problem. But many houses in the Arcadia area don't even have fruit trees any more. Pack rats are also attracted by the fruit dropped by the prickly pear cactus, which is ubiquitous in Arizona. That's another clean up that must be attended to. But most people who can afford to live in Arcadia can afford to hire landscapers who can keep these issues at bay with proper care, so the OP shouldn't let this discourage her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 12:32 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Anyway, my take on Arcadia is it's popular because of the type of people who live there. It is considered a trendy area but the populace is very educated and liberal thus it's venues in the area tend to reflect that whether you are talking about restaurants, bars, shopping etc.
I don't think it's so much trendy as it is unique and bordering on historic. It reminds me a lot of the old Phoenix: large styled quality built ranch homes with huge grass lawns, and none of that cookie cutter nonsense like you see so much of these days in the newer developments. Definitely one of my favorite areas, but it does tend to be on the expensive side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The problem was specifically roof rats, and the cause was presumed to be citrus trees, i.e. people not harvesting/removing mature fruit. Arcadia seems to have been where the problem started, although it has spread to many other areas. I have heard reports of them here in Willo, although have not had the problem personally. I *think* that roof rats are somewhat under control when compared to a few years ago since you don't hear so much about them lately.
I haven't heard about roof rats as much lately either (thank God). They're such disgusting creatures! I remember a few years ago how rampant they were in Arcadia ... they're mostly attracted to green areas with lots of trees, especially mature citrus. But they were spotted in other parts of the metro area as well, such as Tempe and many parts of central Phoenix, so they're not just a problem in Arcadia.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,898 times
I'm 23 and lived in Arcadia my whole life. I love the area! Besides central Phoenix, there is no where else I would want to live in Phoenix.

To me, central Phoenix is the unique, high quality, character portion of the city to go to if you're looking for a high energy place. Arcadia is the unique, high quality, character place in the city to go if you want to have a quieter area. But there's still lots to do within a short drive!

No cookie-cutter McMansions here!

Old 08-16-2012, 10:30 AM

46 posts, read 116,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Arcadia was built on what used to be lemon-tree groves.
I think it's mostly grapefruit (and also orange trees). I have 65 citrus trees on my property in the heart of the Arcadia groves, and about 80 percent of them are grapefruit.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:45 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times
That's good to know the rat problem is under control.

What caused them to be a problem in the first place and then reduce in numbers?

Was it the heat, the lack of rain, or just better pest control?

Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
They are not native to Arizona. They first showed up in Arcadia in 2001, presumably having been transported on a truck or something similar. With the citrus abundance in Arcadia they found an ideal environment. Eventually various civic and governmental groups learned how to make the area less hospitable to them, the most obvious being harvesting fruit when mature, but other no brainers like not leaving bowls of pet food outdoors. These approaches have not eradicated them but have helped.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:12 PM

357 posts, read 711,868 times
Roof rats have worked their way to other parts of the Valley. My parents had them about 10 years ago in Central Phoenix, they had a citrus tree they needed to do a little better job taking care of. I don't remember it being a huge issue to get rid of them though.

Regardless Arcadia is very nice although it can vary from street to street - stay north of Indian School.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:12 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Roof rats have worked their way to other parts of the Valley. My parents had them about 10 years ago in Central Phoenix, they had a citrus tree they needed to do a little better job taking care of. I don't remember it being a huge issue to get rid of them though.

Regardless Arcadia is very nice although it can vary from street to street - stay north of Indian School.
Yes, the roof rat issue seemed to start in the Arcadia area, but like any other pest, they work their way to other areas within a short time. I live in the Camelback East area, and some of my neighbors have reported seeing rats in their sheds. In any case, this shouldn't be a major scare to prevent anybody from looking at Arcadia. It's a very nice area ... and I would definitely agree to stay north of Indian School Road (specifically the canal). The area south of there has many businesses with the Arcadia name, but that section is more like south Arcadia. The true Arcadia is north of the canal between about 44th and 68th Streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area