Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,245,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingpointe516 View Post
I love cold weather and snow, and when I checked on the current temperature in Phoenix (108°) I almost immediately decided there's no way I'm moving there. But the weather is dry so you don't feel the heat as much, right? What does the weather typically feel like in Phoenix?
You still feel the heat, even though it's dry. A dry 108 degrees may feel like it's "only" 105, whereas a humid 108 may feel like 112+. The big difference with dry heat, IMO, is you don't get that "kicked in the chest" feeling when you go outside, like you can get with high humidity. Although hot, the air doesn't feel thick and hard to breathe. The other difference with dry heat is that while you still perspire, the perspiration evaporates so quickly you're barely (if at all) aware of it. It is rare your clothes become wet and stick to you, whereas with high humidity it's common.

To add a bit more of my opinion, since you love the cold weather and snow and you hate hot weather... If you're truly a "winter baby" (as I am), even with the dry heat, our climate may not make you happy. DH and I left Long Island for several reasons, but none of them had anything to do with the weather which, to me, was nearly perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,177,083 times
The o/p asked about education and safety, as well. Let's not get stuck on the weather aspect and ignore the other questions.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,955,044 times
I think we are "stuck on the weather aspect" because it's such a glaring disconnect from what the OP states they love.

Also, I think everyone would agree that you can find plenty of safe places and good schools in the Valley. But you can't change the weather.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,245,566 times
People can respond appropriately re education and safety when we have somewhat of an idea where the house is located, since the valley has areas similar to Brentwood through Brookville in those regards.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 PM

73 posts, read 153,017 times
Regarding safety, just like any big city, there are pockets of safe and unsafe neighborhoods all across the metro area. I feel perfectly safe in my neighborhood, enough so that I have taken my dogs for a walk at night. You will get much more helpful feedback about safety if you give a general idea about where the family house is in which you would plan on staying. With that in mind, you would also want to check the distance between that house and the Phoenix branch of your husband's work, if you would be relying on that job for your income. The house could be in Phoenix and the office could be in Phoenix, but you could be looking at an hour commute.

But honestly, if your attitude really is that you hate heat and love winter and snow, you really might want to reconsider moving to the desert. Yes, dry heat is different, but 100+ degrees is still hot. You should come for a visit during the summer to get an idea of what it is like and if you would be able to tolerate it for several months on end.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:59 AM

800 posts, read 1,916,066 times
The Phoenix Metro area "The Valley" is HUGE, and encompasses around 30 different municipalities, each with their good and better areas. Without knowing where this house is located, and also knowing where your work is located, there is know way to tell you whether the home will be close to good schools (there are good and not-so-good scattered all over the Valley), safe enough for you to enjoy, close to amenities you like, or even a logical commute for you.

The only advice I have for you is, like the others have said, that if you enjoy snow and cold, the Sonoran Desert probably isn't the place for you, humid or not. No way of telling that for sure unless you actually visit at this time of year and decide for yourself whether the heat is tolerable or not.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,010,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2.0 View Post
Not me.
Me either. 85 and humid in NY or NJ or PA or FL is just plain miserable. 115 is an extreme and yeah thats hot but I can still be in my yard and enjoy the desert view on most days here.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:41 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,780,180 times
Phoenix is HOT mid may sometimes April until third week of October. I would not advise you to move here. Education is not good. Safety well that totally depends.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,857,006 times
There are 3 good months in the valley....November, December, and January...just my 2 cents.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,177,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
There are 3 good months in the valley....November, December, and January...just my 2 cents.
Seriously? What happens in February?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area