Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:39 PM

130 posts, read 385,395 times

Advertisements

Recently someone in my family passed away and the will basically left everything to my dad, including the house. My dad is considering moving out to Arizona but there's a bigger possibility that he'll just rent the house out to my husband and I for $650 a month. I used to live in Florida and one of the reasons that made me hate living there was the constant hot weather. I love cold weather and snow, and when I checked on the current temperature in Phoenix (108°) I almost immediately decided there's no way I'm moving there. But the weather is dry so you don't feel the heat as much, right? What does the weather typically feel like in Phoenix?

I really would like to move somewhere more affordable as much as I love being back in New York so we're seriously considering this move. The company my husband works for has a branch in Phoenix that his boss said he would most likely be able to transfer to if we do decide to move so the job situation isn't too much of a worry. My main concern is:

-Weather
-Safety
-Education

We don't have any kids currently but do hope on having some in the future so I do want to be in a safe area and have good schools.

I don't know the address of the house or anything but can anyone give me an idea of the safe areas or the places to avoid? I will ask my dad for the address so I can figure out if it's in a good neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:01 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,760,222 times
Anything over 100 is *hot*, the whole "dry heat" thing doesn't wash.
Schools are case by case- we've got some great ones, and some terrible ones.
When you get an address, Type it into :
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community to check it out for yourself.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:02 PM

7,338 posts, read 12,437,564 times
The East Valley has some pretty good school districts, particularly the Chandler, Gilbert, Higley, and Kyrene districts. As for safety, Gilbert is well-known for being very safe.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:05 PM

2,403 posts, read 2,756,134 times
Yeah, it's dry, but I"d still prefer a humid 85 degrees in New York to a dry 115 in Arizona.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:20 PM

34 posts, read 52,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Yeah, it's dry, but I"d still prefer a humid 85 degrees in New York to a dry 115 in Arizona.
Not me.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM

357 posts, read 714,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I'd agree with that...however it's 115 no more than 10 days a year here. It's 85 and humid a lot in NY plus you have the winters to battle about.

Don't want to turn this into too much of a weather discussion but if you love snow and rain, and hate hot weather, then I would say Phoenix is probably not the place for you. Give us more info on the location of the house however and we can give more feedback beyond weather. $650/month could either be an absolutely amazing deal or just a pretty good deal depending on neighborhood.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
It does feel different than the heat in FL, but, particularly if you like cold and snow, that doesn't mean you will like it. Perhaps your dad should rent the house to someone else, perhaps someone who is already living here. Do give us the general address area ("[insert round number] block of _____ street")

Old 08-10-2012, 09:53 AM

19,470 posts, read 28,036,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
i'd agree with that...however it's 115 no more than 10 days a year here. It's 85 and humid a lot in ny plus you have the winters to battle about.

Don't want to turn this into too much of a weather discussion but if you love snow and rain, and hate hot weather, then i would say phoenix is probably not the place for you. Give us more info on the location of the house however and we can give more feedback beyond weather. $650/month could either be an absolutely amazing deal or just a pretty good deal depending on neighborhood.
great advice

Old 08-12-2012, 12:28 AM

7,826 posts, read 6,465,087 times
50% humidity is a dry day in Florida. In Arizona at 50% they are complaining about the dampness.

We have lived in AZ for 12 years, we lived in FL for 27 years. I was born and raised on Long Island. I would be happy to go back to FL. NY, no way, not even for a visit.

Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,012,085 times
If hot weather bothers you, Phoenix is NOT for you. Regardless of humidity, it gets HOT here. The only redeeming quality I can see for you is the fact that a short two hour drive north from Phoenix, and you can have your cold and snow, and come back to some rather pleasant winter temps here in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area