Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 PM

419 posts, read 908,123 times

Advertisements

No decision after only a few weeks or even a few months will necessarily feel like the 'right' decision.
I would heed the advice of others here and plan to give it a lot more time. Even the acquiring of one new
friend here, can change everything in your mind....that's how little it will take.

Besides, if you cut and run this early, how will you feel when you're back in Detroit? I'll bet you'll start
to think you didn't give it enough time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 09:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,003,802 times
Like others have said, give it a little time, and see what happens when you're in school. When I first moved to Arizona, I was pretty much here by myself. I didn't know anyone either. I really love the weather here and liked the chance to get a fresh start. Many years later, I'm still here.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:05 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,737,552 times
One word...nope!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,710,858 times
I arrived in Phoenix (from Michigan) on a Wednesday afternoon with one large and one small suitcase in the back of my brand-new company car.

I had lunch with my new boss, waved goodbye as he drove away, then promptly backed into a light-pole with that new car. Eight miles on the odometer, 3pm, no hotel reservation, and a stack of Craigslist "roommate" ads on the passenger seat.

By 6 pm I had a roommate, at 11pm I was assembling my new futon, (never buy a futon!), and a few months later I had my wife, my dog, and all my stuff situated in a comfortable home.

Moving like that is either an awesome adventure, or a big green monster - the experience you have is all in your head, and how you perceive what is happening to you. Every day for the first few months especially, you'll have turning points where you get to choose whether to turn around and go back, or press on and make it work. There will be good, justifiable & reasonable reasons to turn back, and to stay. Remember why you came.

Good luck!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,468,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
I arrived in Phoenix (from Michigan) on a Wednesday afternoon with one large and one small suitcase in the back of my brand-new company car.

I had lunch with my new boss, waved goodbye as he drove away, then promptly backed into a light-pole with that new car. Eight miles on the odometer, 3pm, no hotel reservation, and a stack of Craigslist "roommate" ads on the passenger seat.

By 6 pm I had a roommate, at 11pm I was assembling my new futon, (never buy a futon!), and a few months later I had my wife, my dog, and all my stuff situated in a comfortable home.

Great story!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,468,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbrooke View Post
I'm 20 years old and I just moved to the Phoenix area, from Michigan, all by myself. I'm staying with a family friend, who is much older than me, but besides her I don't know anybody else in Arizona. I'm having regrets about moving here. I've been here several times before, visiting a friend who used to live here and I fell in love with it. I don't know if its just nervous jitters or if I really did make the wrong decision. I'm looking for a job and I start school next week, so I will meet people then. But I'm having anxiety this week because I have no one to talk to and don't really have anything to do. I'm also worried I won't make friends next week as easy as I think it will be. So what then? Do I move back home? Just wondering if anybody else has had the same jitters moving across the country or if I truly did make the wrong decision.
It's scary moving by yourself.
Congratulations on having the nerve to do it!

Nothing makes us feel more alive than getting out of our comfort zones.
You are going to gain SO MUCH character by going through this.
Hardly anyone's originallly from Phoenix, so other people will want to make new friends too.

As others said.. use meetup...
There will be at least one for people new in town or any interest/hobby you can imagine.
Keep us posted.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,077,889 times
you put "az" in your username!....so I would say all will be cool

Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

Moving like that is either an awesome adventure, or a big green monster - the experience you have is all in your head, and how you perceive what is happening to you. Every day for the first few months especially, you'll have turning points where you get to choose whether to turn around and go back, or press on and make it work. There will be good, justifiable & reasonable reasons to turn back, and to stay. Remember why you came.

Good luck!
What a great post! Exactly the kind of advice/perspective the OP needs to hear.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,765,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbrooke View Post
I'm 20 years old and I just moved to the Phoenix area, from Michigan, all by myself. I'm staying with a family friend, who is much older than me, but besides her I don't know anybody else in Arizona. I'm having regrets about moving here. I've been here several times before, visiting a friend who used to live here and I fell in love with it. I don't know if its just nervous jitters or if I really did make the wrong decision. I'm looking for a job and I start school next week, so I will meet people then. But I'm having anxiety this week because I have no one to talk to and don't really have anything to do. I'm also worried I won't make friends next week as easy as I think it will be. So what then? Do I move back home? Just wondering if anybody else has had the same jitters moving across the country or if I truly did make the wrong decision.
You will make friends as soon as you start school. Just choose them wisely and you will enjoy life here.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:15 PM

211 posts, read 544,658 times
the good thing is your Young. you did this at a perfect age. You get to see if you Love AZ and if not still young enough to move home or another state..Just be glad you did this now and not when its harder in your 50s or so..
Its always something you can look back at and say i did it or tried i wish i did it when i was younger !
Im hoping to be in AZ in 2013. Been out there a few times to see many friends and honestly i found it very easy to meet new people. AZ people are alot more friendlier than MA people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: