Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:23 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,199,544 times

Advertisements

If you want to look at it from the other side... Warren Buffet swears by DirecTV. He bought into it a while ago. He only buys companies with superior competitive advantages that cannot be conquered by competitors ("wide moats"). I would go with his wisdom - there must be something better with DirecTV that cannot be copied by others. Disclaimer: long DTV.
P.L.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,984,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm comparing the non discounted cost...we are paying $125/month with Dish (discounted to $90 for the first year) compared to $149 per month we were paying with DirecTV (with no discounts) and we have more channels and the hardware is better with Dish.
Ouch that's expensive, you probably have all the channels though. Our DirecTV bill last month was $32.xx
No premium channels, but we do have the HD DVR box and HD channels.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 PM

7,338 posts, read 12,437,564 times
Quote:
I'm comparing the non discounted cost...we are paying $125/month with Dish (discounted to $90 for the first year) compared to $149 per month we were paying with DirecTV (with no discounts) and we have more channels and the hardware is better with Dish.
Since you have a premium package, your comparison is a bit flawed, since not everyone is willing to pay for such package, regardless of the provider. If you compare the basic packages of DirecTV and Dish, it is obvious that DirecTV has the better channels.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:12 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Since you have a premium package, your comparison is a bit flawed, since not everyone is willing to pay for such package, regardless of the provider. If you compare the basic packages of DirecTV and Dish, it is obvious that DirecTV has the better channels.
First, I was comparing my experiences between Dish and DirecTV and I had similar programming on both so I don't know how my "comparison is a bit flawed".

You need to research your advice before you give it. I just went to both websites and Dish Network is cheaper for every "basic package" and each package contains more channels than DirecTV.

My bill without the discount...

America's Top 250 $69.99
DVR Service $10.00
HBO 1/2 - 6 Mo ($16/Mo) $8.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Protection Plan $7.00
Starz - 6 Mo (reg $13) $6.50
Outdoor Sports $3.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) $0.00
Monthly Charges $125.49

The "basic package" at DirecTV that compares to mine is $74.99 and I can't find any channels with DirecTV that I don't have with Dish. I only have HBO and Starz because they gave them to me for half price for 6 months and those will go away when that promotion ends.

I was paying $149 at DirecTV for similar service with only HBO.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM

6,146 posts, read 8,029,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Start up cost? There shouldn't be any start up cost.
Unless its changed since I signed up, they charge you for each receiver. How much depends on if its a standard, HD, or HD-DVR. And you still don't own it. There may be deals for new installations with only 1 TV but we had 4 at the time and it cost us over $200 to get started.

From DirecTV's web site:

As technology becomes more advanced, monthly fees for additional receivers allow us to provide the latest equipment with minimal upfront cost to the customer. The upgrade fees allow us to keep our monthly fees low. Many leased items require an upfront payment as well as monthly fees. Similar to leasing a car, a customer pays an amount upfront, and that amount allows the customer and the company to keep the monthly fee low.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:52 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,275,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Unless its changed since I signed up, they charge you for each receiver. How much depends on if its a standard, HD, or HD-DVR. And you still don't own it. There may be deals for new installations with only 1 TV but we had 4 at the time and it cost us over $200 to get started.

From DirecTV's web site:

As technology becomes more advanced, monthly fees for additional receivers allow us to provide the latest equipment with minimal upfront cost to the customer. The upgrade fees allow us to keep our monthly fees low. Many leased items require an upfront payment as well as monthly fees. Similar to leasing a car, a customer pays an amount upfront, and that amount allows the customer and the company to keep the monthly fee low.
Yeah, we had to pay $99 for the initial equipment with Dish.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:56 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,984,630 times
As a new customer, they usually have up to 4 or 5 TVs for free (equipment wise). They will usually do an HD DVR box and then an additional 4 HD receivers (which can also access recorded content off the HD DVR but do not have recording/pause live TV features themselves).

Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM

17,916 posts, read 43,582,084 times
Quote:
First, I was comparing my experiences between Dish and DirecTV and I had similar programming on both so I don't know how my "comparison is a bit flawed".

You need to research your advice before you give it. I just went to both websites and Dish Network is cheaper for every "basic package" and each package contains more channels than DirecTV.

My bill without the discount...

America's Top 250 $69.99
DVR Service $10.00
HBO 1/2 - 6 Mo ($16/Mo) $8.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Joey Receiver $7.00
Protection Plan $7.00
Starz - 6 Mo (reg $13) $6.50
Outdoor Sports $3.00
HD 250 Free ($10/Mo) $0.00
Monthly Charges $125.49

The "basic package" at DirecTV that compares to mine is $74.99 and I can't find any channels with DirecTV that I don't have with Dish. I only have HBO and Starz because they gave them to me for half price for 6 months and those will go away when that promotion ends.

I was paying $149 at DirecTV for similar service with only HBO.
More channels, just to have more channels, don't matter to me if I'm not going to watch them. I'm on that 74.99 package with DirecTV, which includes numerous channels I never watch, and is missing 2 or 3 what I'll call "regular" channels I wish I had, and think my package really should include (it used to include one of them), but not enough to upgrade the package. I've got plenty to watch. My DVR is TiVo and is a separate bill, I have one receiver, no sports, no movies. Ends up at eighty-something a month.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:08 PM

3,329 posts, read 2,296,713 times
I was fed up with Cable TV and considering Dish/Direct options awhile back, then discovered video streaming. Bought a Roku streaming device, signed up for Amazon Prime (so I could watch freebies); two weeks later I canceled Cable TV and forgot about satellite altogether.

No doubt it isn't for everybody, but it's right for this household; love being able to watch TV using my current Preferred internet speed (no upgrade was required). I'm sticking with the free stuff on Prime, but you can sign up for a lot of other options too (Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc.).

Good luck!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:10 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,728,403 times
If you enjoy watching the walking dead, do not get Dish. Dish banned AMC from their channel lineup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area