Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:58 PM

2,000 posts, read 10,589,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
If you want to look at it from the other side... Warren Buffet swears by DirecTV. He bought into it a while ago. He only buys companies with superior competitive advantages that cannot be conquered by competitors ("wide moats"). I would go with his wisdom - there must be something better with DirecTV that cannot be copied by others. Disclaimer: long DTV.
P.L.

Since I study the stock market, I actually know the answer to this one: Directv is going into Mexico and Central America now where there are oodles of tv's. They must have the "lock" there or Buffet wouldn't claim a moat with this particular company. (I did some homework on buying stock in Directv awhile ago)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:12 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,016,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
As a new customer, they usually have up to 4 or 5 TVs for free (equipment wise). They will usually do an HD DVR box and then an additional 4 HD receivers (which can also access recorded content off the HD DVR but do not have recording/pause live TV features themselves).
Thats good then. A much better deal than we got 4 years ago.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 PM

784 posts, read 926,888 times
In both of our homes we now have DirectTv.....at our home in Illinois we had DirectTV...switched after two years to Dish and couldn't wait to switch back....now its only DirectTV for us.

Our package in Arizona is running about $60/month cheaper than the same DirectTv-high speed internet we have in Illinois and also includes a landline connection for the security system....I really threw a fit on the phone company.....my first bill for just the basic phone was going to be $52/month.....outrageous.....now its going to run about $20/month with taxes.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:31 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,942,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Basically, when you are comparing DirecTV with Dish, it is basically a decision on quality vs. quantity. Dish offers more channels on its basic package, however, much of those channels are "filler" networks that nobody seems to care about. DirecTV, on the other hand, has fewer channels, but a has a greater number of the popular channels on its basic package.

In other words, if you favor quality, go with DirecTV. If you favor quantity, go with Dish.

BTW, we use DirecTV, and in my neigborhood (Freeman Farms in Gilbert), I have seen more homes with DirecTV dishes than those with Dish Network dishes.
I can't say "quality" and "DirecTV" in the same sentence. lol I guess, if you like/love home shopping, paid programming, old, old (1970s-90s) sitcoms and other shows it could be considered "quality". And the bad thing about those is that they have marathons of these shows, day after day. Oh, and reality shows! Egad!! How many do we need? I like Nat'l Geo., HGTV, SciFi and a few others, but the majority of the lineup is useless to me. I end up watching a LOT of 'true crime' TV. I also appreciate the one news channel that shows ALL the current shows on the news channels. I guess I get tired of seeing shows that sound really interesting but, oh, I don't GET that channel. Happens a lot...

I have the DirecTV/Internet/Phone bundle through CenturyLink and it costs me $150 month. It's been going up a few dollars every month. I do get a $5 discount on each of those services, I have NO 'extras' and no cell phone through them. I have been seriously thinking about switching to Cable One up here in Cottonwood. I had them before and liked them okay but back then they didn't 'bundle' and now they do. I guess I get a tad irritated when I get those ads, along with my bill, where CenturyLink/DirecTV is offering some really good deals to new subscribers but they never, ever, offer good deals to long time, good paying, loyal customers. I would LOVE to be able to program my OWN TV with only the channels I really really want.

I have to admit that our TV here beats out a lot of TV in other places. On vacation I watched TV in NV, OR and CA. Have to say, even DirecTV here was better than most of those places!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:26 PM

357 posts, read 714,187 times
Just signed up for DirectTV and called and spewed some stuff about maybe I would go with Dish and got $1 installation, startup, etc. For the first 12 months it will be $44.99, slightly more year 2 and then $74.99/month past that (although I'm sure price will be higher by then). That is the "Choice Ultimate" plan which is the second highest only because others in my household are demanding certain sports channels.

This includes 1 HD DVR Receiver (record up to 5 shows at once and view from anywhere in the home) and one regular HD Receiver. The two receiver's are an additional $16/month I believe. For the amount of channels I'm pleased with the cost. Also, online the HD DVR Receiver would've cost $99 so I definitely saved a little by calling in.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,196,397 times
I had directv for two years and switched to Dish. I had MORE problems with Directv... outages that lasted for a few days. I haven't had a single issue with Dish.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:41 PM

344 posts, read 815,648 times
After reading all comments I'd say the concensus here is clear..as clear as mud.

I'm intrigued, as many are, with going online for the most part. The main disadvantage there is a dearth of live sports that the networks hold on to.

It's case by case, depending on your interests..you'd have to look at each one and fill in your particular profile and see how they compare.

Last edited by sunluv; 08-28-2012 at 06:23 PM..

Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 PM

Is it possible to compare just the COSTS of Directv vs. Dish here?

Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,548,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Is it possible to compare just the COSTS of Directv vs. Dish here?

The problem with that is that their packages are not the same in terms of channels (or, what channels matter or don't matter to you), they both give deals to sign up that then expire after a certain time, it's not an apples to apples comparison.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:56 AM

I agree, and when I call them I ask always what the cost will be AFTER the first year. That's always a little eye-opener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area