Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 AM

233 posts, read 445,055 times

Advertisements

You should be able to go outdoors, at least in the morning/evenings. The posters are right; drink water, find shade, wear sunscreen, and ease into it. Don't expect to be able to comfortably run a marathon or go on day long hikes in the middle of the day, but don't become a hermit! You can buy home mister systems for cheap, which makes it MUCH more comfortable to sit outside with. Many restaurants/bars have them outside as well. There are public pools and water parks that are fun to go to in the summer. Try walking around an outdoor mall, and ducking into a store if you get too hot. The zoo opens early in the morning to beat the heat. Same for the Desert Botanical Gardens. Phoenix also has a great network of bike paths. If you could do Vegas in July, you'll be fine in Phoenix.

And if you get tired of the heat and just need a break, do what a lot of other people do. Drive up to Crown King or Flagstaff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
You should look at the hot summer just like most people look at their winters where ever they are from. It's the "off" season with one big difference. You can still do many more things in the heat than you can in the cold and that doesn't take into consideration of the driving conditions. Heat doesn't make the roads slick. Heat doesn't make any treacherous driving conditions. It's just hot so you still do things outside except you should be knowledgeable about what hot conditions can do. Just be prepared. Always, ALWAYS have plenty of water with you where ever you go. Not soft drinks, not coffee, etc. WATER.
Other than that, the heat isn't something you should concern yourself with too much. The great fall, winter and spring weather here more than makes up for a little discomfort the heat may cause you.
Actually, the heat can be your friend if you want it to. In my case, I use the heat of the day to enjoy the pool when I can. I also am an avid fisherman so many days you'll find me on the lake in swim trunks and a rod and reel in hand enjoying just a small portion the beauty this great state has to offer. Clear blue skies, tropical winds and cool waters. That's one of the many reasons I love it here so much.
Well, there I go again. lol. Anyway, don't let the heat scare you. It just isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Particularly in the mornings and evenings. Those times of the day are absolutely a wonderful time to do things you enjoy.
What a great post maverick, I enjoy it in the same ways. Love to swim so the hot days make it a great time to enjoy the pool.
Some don't like the heat but it's a part of our climate I have learned to look forward to. If the op doesn't mind Vegas I think they will be just fine here.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:53 AM

357 posts, read 711,601 times
Driving in a hot car I think is the worst part of the heat so I've countered that in two ways:
1. Buy a sun shade for your windshield for $5, you will be shocked at how much of a difference it makes
2. Pay the hundreds of dollars for a remote starter for your car or when buying new make the dealer throw it in. I got one on my most recent car and it is AMAZING starting my car from inside the grocery store and having it cool already. Really takes the sting out of the summertime to me and your steering wheel is comfortable due to sun shade!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:30 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
What a great post maverick, I enjoy it in the same ways. Love to swim so the hot days make it a great time to enjoy the pool.
Some don't like the heat but it's a part of our climate I have learned to look forward to. If the op doesn't mind Vegas I think they will be just fine here.
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common when dealing with the heat. I really enjoy and hour or two in the pool every afternoon when it's sizzling out. I swim laps a lot. It's not that I'm so much into the fitness side of it, it's just enjoying the water and keeping cool. I just crank up the radio on an oldies station and hang out. I do a lot of thinking while I'm swimming. How I'm going to tackle certain tasks or problems. A little "me time". lol.
Love the pool.
During last winter, even though the weather is incredible, I surprisingly found myself longing for those sizzling days so I could be on the lakes and in the pool. I was very surprised that I looked forward to the summer here. I thought I'd be like so many on here that deplores the hot weather but luckily, I love all the seasons here. Makes me even happier.
A very good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Driving in a hot car I think is the worst part of the heat so I've countered that in two ways:
1. Buy a sun shade for your windshield for $5, you will be shocked at how much of a difference it makes
2. Pay the hundreds of dollars for a remote starter for your car or when buying new make the dealer throw it in. I got one on my most recent car and it is AMAZING starting my car from inside the grocery store and having it cool already. Really takes the sting out of the summertime to me and your steering wheel is comfortable due to sun shade!
That's a great point. I don't have many complaints about the heat although I've only been here for two summers but yes, the hot steering wheel sure is an eye opener. lol.
I don't have a sunshade for my car or truck nor do I have remote starters in either vehicle. Parking spots in the shade are at a premium around here so what I do is just park in such a way that the car shades the front passenger compartment. The mornings aren't hot enough to worry about. It's the afternoons that get sizzling at time. That typically means I park with the car facing east if possible and that seems to work fine for me. The steering wheel and the front seats are shaded so no sizzling seats or steering wheel to deal with. Luckily my A/C blows cold within a minute or so. I can handle a little heat for that long. In some cases, they keep the grocery stores so cold that stepping outside into the heat is almost a relief.
Another tip is to get a steering wheel cover made of cloth. The plastic and leather ones get to hot in the direct sun. No matter how hot it is, the cloth ones don't get very hot at all.
Just sayin'

Old 08-30-2012, 04:10 PM

46 posts, read 115,991 times
I play golf once a week every weekend in the afternoon heat. I will sometimes find an indoor activity instead if the high temp is above 110 and the dew point is over 50.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM

7,166 posts, read 9,216,704 times
No AC in my pickup. Just gotta suck it up and suffer.

Shades are a good idea. Parking in available shade helps too.

Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Hat + Water + Sunblock = have fun outdoors

Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz451 View Post
Ove Glove for opening the doors and buckling the seat belts.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:49 PM

188 posts, read 515,603 times
Totally depends on what you can tolerate. I hate the heat but will do such activities (i.e. labor, biking, etc.) during the heat because I don't care what I look (or smell) like afterwards. Otherwise I'm indoors until the heat subsides... sometime in November Some really enjoy 100's and some don't.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:11 PM

567 posts, read 787,172 times
Phoenix is why God created air conditioning. And malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area