Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:47 AM

16 posts, read 78,038 times

Advertisements

I went to vegas and i thought the weather wasn't bad compared to dallas, in fact may a little better due to less humidity and had no problems being outside half of the day on a late july. If I did fine in vegas summer heat, could i do fine in phoenix? I want to be able to golf, ride my bike, take walks instead of being indoors all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,412 times
If you were fine in Vegas you should be reasonably fine in Phoenix.

Both cities have a dryish kind of heat much of the summer but Phoenix is a little more humid than Vegas in July and August.

Phoenix is a little hotter too.

I know some people are shut-ins during the summertime because of the heat. I'm not a shut-in but I'm not outdoors very much either this time of year.

Shade, sunscreen, and lots of water are the keys to survival.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
If you were fine in Vegas you should be reasonably fine in Phoenix.

Both cities have a dryish kind of heat much of the summer but Phoenix is a little more humid than Vegas in July and August.

Phoenix is a little hotter too.

I know some people are shut-ins during the summertime because of the heat. I'm not a shut-in but I'm not outdoors very much either this time of year.

Shade, sunscreen, and lots of water are the keys to survival.
Pretty much covers it. You didn't ask this, but just to cover all the bases, Phoenix is a bit warmer than Vegas in the winter. You should be able to do what you want to do.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:33 PM

357 posts, read 712,350 times
Yes you'll be fine then, Vegas heat is very similar to Phoenix heat. However, Vegas does get cooler at night. Keep in mind Phoenix can get some humidity during monsoon season (July/August), and I don't really go out much during those two months unless I drag myself out of bed at 7 am on weekends.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,717,544 times
Phoenix people develop a habit of getting up very early, before it's too unbearable.

Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
There is no reason to stay indoors during the summer. Being dressed properly and staying hydrated - then you are good to go!

Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 PM

267 posts, read 693,332 times
Gradually acclimate to the heat; don't over-exert at first, wear a hat if you'll be out long, replace water and salt/minerals, and you should be okay.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,529,743 times
i lived in phoenix during the 90s & now live outside of vegas. very similar heat patterns. phx has a longer monsoon season than vegas & more lightening storms (i miss those!).

phx summers will consistantly get 115+ degrees for a longer period of time (may/june - sept/oct). whereas vegas will be 105+ degrees for a shorter time span (june - sept), with a few weeks of 115+ temps. the winters are warmer in phx (60s-70s) than vegas (40s-50s).

heat is relative to each person. if you can handle vegas, you can handle phx.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,033,703 times
Depending on your age/health will determine how long you will tolerate the furnace that is AZ in summertime. For us, most days after about 1pm until about 7pm we're inside. Not even our puppy will stay outside for long during the heat of the day.
Smart Dog!

Old 08-29-2012, 08:30 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,648,601 times
You should look at the hot summer just like most people look at their winters where ever they are from. It's the "off" season with one big difference. You can still do many more things in the heat than you can in the cold and that doesn't take into consideration of the driving conditions. Heat doesn't make the roads slick. Heat doesn't make any treacherous driving conditions. It's just hot so you still do things outside except you should be knowledgeable about what hot conditions can do. Just be prepared. Always, ALWAYS have plenty of water with you where ever you go. Not soft drinks, not coffee, etc. WATER.
Other than that, the heat isn't something you should concern yourself with too much. The great fall, winter and spring weather here more than makes up for a little discomfort the heat may cause you.
Actually, the heat can be your friend if you want it to. In my case, I use the heat of the day to enjoy the pool when I can. I also am an avid fisherman so many days you'll find me on the lake in swim trunks and a rod and reel in hand enjoying just a small portion the beauty this great state has to offer. Clear blue skies, tropical winds and cool waters. That's one of the many reasons I love it here so much.
Well, there I go again. lol. Anyway, don't let the heat scare you. It just isn't as bad as many make it out to be. Particularly in the mornings and evenings. Those times of the day are absolutely a wonderful time to do things you enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area