Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 AM

57 posts, read 172,914 times

Advertisements

Flying out there for a job interview, it's looking pretty serious. I'd like to drive around a bit while I'm there and get a feel for what neighbourhoods would be worth looking at for us if I get this job. The office is at E Camelback and North 24th Street.

I've heard some say Tempe is best, others suggest Gilbert or Chandler, heard varying things about Mesa.... But I'd like some more input. There's me, my wife, and 3 teenage daughters entering grades 12, 10, and 10 (not twins, the youngest skipped a grade). I'd love to be able to keep the rent close to $1000/mo for something with at least 3 br and at least 1200 sq ft. (We were paying $1800/mo for those stats here in southern California!) Ideally, with great high schools in the area, and no need to put bars on the windows or for me to arm myself. And preferably, not only with good A/C, but also (do they do this in Arizona?) well-insulated places so the A/C doesn't have to be on 24/7; my daughters and I are originally from Canada's Arctic, and anything over about 75F makes our brains melt. %-) (Yeah, I know, that's all summer there ... long story why we're looking at Phoenix, but oh well.)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:07 AM

890 posts, read 2,282,118 times
If you go east of 44th street and north of Thomas, you will be in Scottsdale Unified, which is a better school district overall than Phoenix Union, which is the district they would be in if you lived close to work. I don't think there will be much in your price range in that area, at least for a house. It's right by Paradise Valley (the city) and Camelback Mountain. If you could move further from your job into Scottsdale proper, I think you should be able to find a townhome for a more reasonable price and still be in that district. http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...l_disthigh.pdf
Paradise Valley Unified district may be another area you could look into. It is more in line with your price range and the schools are still good. Look for a place off the 51 and your commute to work will be very easy. (If you choose to locate within the Scottsdale district, you may need to take surface streets to get to work, depending on location)

Old 08-31-2012, 06:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,167,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnorth View Post
And preferably, not only with good A/C, but also (do they do this in Arizona?) well-insulated places so the A/C doesn't have to be on 24/7; my daughters and I are originally from Canada's Arctic, and anything over about 75F makes our brains melt. %-) (Yeah, I know, that's all summer there ... long story why we're looking at Phoenix, but oh well.)
No matter how well insulated, your A/C will be on 24/7 for a few months during summer. And as for melting brains over 75...good luck with that!

Lots of great apartments and schools near your office. For a shorter commute, think east and north but still within the Phoenix city limits, or Scottsdale.

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-31-2012 at 09:30 AM..

Old 08-31-2012, 10:43 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,452,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
No matter how well insulated, your A/C will be on 24/7 for a few months during summer. And as for melting brains over 75...good luck with that!

Lots of great apartments and schools near your office. For a shorter commute, think east and north but still within the Phoenix city limits, or Scottsdale.
Whether it's on 24/7 depends on where you have the thermostat set, and lots of other factors. As noted, east and north of you are your best choices. Really near the office may be a bit more expensive, but you can get an easy commute from not very far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area