Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 03:52 PM

517 posts, read 1,703,935 times

Advertisements

In our imminent search for the right area to buy (at the bottom end), so far for simplicity we have considered Mesa, Chandler and North Glendale as possibilities.

But what about these zips i.e. 85015, 85014,85013, 85021,85020. Is there a name for this overall area. It appears to be sandwiched between Scottsdale and Glendale, so I guess it's just referred to as Phoenix? I'm sure that's not 100% accurate, but is it roughly correct?

We're running on the idea of being centrally located, because we don't know where we'll be working. So if we need to reach the airport area/downtown we won't be far away. And if we needed to drive North most of the other traffic would be driving in the opposite direction. Correct me where I'm wrong.

It's a little frustrating knowing so little. But we will be arriving in a about a week, and taking long drives is a priority. I know we'll have to see things for ourselves. I'm just trying to pin point the logical area to aim for work-wise and for safety. Who knows though, maybe we should just set up home in Mesa for example and obtain jobs in that area only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 04:08 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Yeah, it's Phoenix. Different neighborhoods. Probably some hits and misses in all the areas. The areas in 85015 would likely be viewed as a "miss" by many but it's still worth checking out. I think Phoenix is far too large to go by zip only. Things go from nice to dicey at random. In one square mile from my home you will find dingy trailers and upper middle class homes that I could never afford. You really have to come here and explore.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
You need to get temporary housing, get set up working, then rent for six months in a convenient part of the Valley, get familiar with the area, and then go from there as far as something more permanent. Mesa's not particularly central, not sure why you would focus there first. You need to have a broader job search than the area where you will live on a more long term basis. Get the work first.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:45 PM

285 posts, read 904,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Yeah, it's Phoenix. Different neighborhoods. Probably some hits and misses in all the areas. The areas in 85015 would likely be viewed as a "miss" by many but it's still worth checking out. I think Phoenix is far too large to go by zip only. Things go from nice to dicey at random. In one square mile from my home you will find dingy trailers and upper middle class homes that I could never afford. You really have to come here and explore.
Having lived in 85015, I would say "miss". Being bordered from Glendale Ave to Thomas Rd (N-S) and I-17 to 15th Ave (W-E), one should expect a higher crime rate as opposed to 85013, 15th Ave to 7th Street, which is not a bad looking area IMHO. It helps too that it is on the Central corridor.

This zip map should help. One can zoom in to a chosen area for closer inspection but sadly, it's still buyer beware on location.

Phoenix, Arizona Zip Code Boundary Map (AZ)

Last edited by desertskies; 09-03-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: adding map link

Old 09-03-2012, 04:52 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
I don't know about the others but I lived in 85020 for a couple years (actually had a roommate and I was home every three weekends). The cleanest areas seem to be on the south slope of North Pointe (the other side of the Hilton resort) and on the north side, along Thunderbird. There are otherwise checkerboard patterns of unimpressive stucco boxes in the area. The Pointe Tapatio area is obviously an HOA since it's all uniform and they do a good job of keeping it nice and neat. yet places directly to the east are, well, spartan! There may be other pockets of "nice and neat" in the area but it is probably along Greenway Parkway...I prefer the parts of 85018 and around Lincoln Blvd, which can be expensive but it also is an easier way of getting higher quality neighbors other than knocking on every door in a potential neighborhood of $100,000 homes and introducing yourself and finding out who your potential neighbors are.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:21 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
My wife grew up in 85021. You can go from classic 50's era ranchers on 1/3 acre lots to the third world in less than half a mile. I really like the area if you can stay east of 15th Ave. Old school houses on flood irrigated lots with mature vegetation. Only takes 15-20 minutes to get to the Biltmore area or downtown and really close to great outdoor hiking areas at Squaw Peak and North Mountain Preserve.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM

344 posts, read 812,538 times
As mentioned, rent for a good length of time.
Do a lot of driving/exploring.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
In Phoenix metro, it's Crazy to buy BEFORE you know where you are working.

Additionally, if you were looking to "buy at the bottom end", you've certainly missed that window in Chandler and probably some other areas.

Buying the wrong house in the wrong area costs a heck of a lot more in the long run. RENT FIRST and do your due diligence.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:28 PM

357 posts, read 711,601 times
Stay east of 15th ave in any of those zip codes - usually east of 7th ave. And except for right around Central Ave nothing south of Highland is that great.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:56 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Some of the zips in Central PHX are long north/south wise. Stay toward the north end. 85016 is nice, around Camelback and north of it.

I'd go for Central PHX over Mesa anyhow. It's just looks nicer, has more going on, and is definitely convenient location-wise for the airport and entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area