Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,595,185 times

Advertisements

What do most people in the Phoenix area do to get to the airport? Take these shuttles or cabs or drive in their own car, and park at the airport or nearby lots? I would guess most just drive themself and pay the parking fees. Which probably are cheaper than the shuttles in some instances in the economy parking lots. At least if one is going away for a week. I know from Surprise these shuttles are around $80 incl the taxes and fuel fee RT. That is the cheapest one from here. Then add all the wait time involved with that kind of service. I'd rather drive myself and park at the airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 01:56 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,548,799 times
For me, it depends on how long you I'm going to be gone. Onsite airport parking gets expensive.

There's lots of variables to this situation, depends on the nature of the trip and who's traveling, depends on the person.

If I'm going on a long personal trip, I get a ride to the airport or take the shuttle and leave the car at my office, get a ride back to the car or take the shuttle (or a city bus, once). If I'm going on a long trip for business where I can get reimbursement, I'll either park at the airport or use the shuttle (it's still nice not to wrestle bags on and off the buses).

Old 11-03-2012, 02:50 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,702,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Is there no end to the lack of getting around such a massive Metro without a car. Here is an example. An outrageous bill for a cab or a supershuttle just to go to the local airport. Why do residents put up with this year after, and there not be the normal level of bus service for a metro this size. This is the 5th largest city or Metro in the USA, with this lack of service. What a joke.

After reading this thread with the pitiful options that are offered in this area. I would treat myself to the easiest method even though its an expensive option. I would rent the car. I wouldn't waste my time and all the effort with the supershuttle and forget the cab. There is no excuse to pay a cab that kind of money, just to sit in the back seat. Then you have to I assume add a nice sizeble tip. Because that driver expects more than $2.00. For what I don't know, all you do is sit there and pay the ripoff amount for the ride. Treat yoursell to the car rental and then your on your time, and not at anyones mercy. Watiting around like on that shutte.

If I lived closer to the airport than way out here in the Surprise area. I would give you a ride. I hate to see someone ripped off like that. It just really irriates me. Probably because I know I am going to face the same problem, when I need to get to the airport and home again. Good Luck.
I'm just curious - outside of the tipping issue, how is renting the car easier than cabbing or using SuperShuttle?

Unlike cab or supershuttle, I would still have to return the car the next day, AND spend more money to refill the tank. You complain about the cab or the supershuttle taking more time, but to me, returning the car actually burns more time than using cab or supershuttle.

Check it:

1) Have to take the shuttle off-site to the rental agency
2) Make sure rental agency gave you the right car that can fit your party and baby seat (this has been screwed up the last two times by different agencies)
3) Spend an hour and a half returning the car the next day and spending money to refill the tank.

We have a dedicated ride and reservation from SuperShuttle. So even if I'm waiting 20-30 minutes after luggage pickup for the shuttle, it's STILL going to be quicker overall than renting the car, and I don't have to be bothered returning the car the next day.

Plus, SuperShuttle + tip is still cheaper than renting a car.

Remember: I don't need a rental car for my entire trip. I was just looking for transport from Sky Harbor to where I am staying. Nothing more.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:46 PM

9,546 posts, read 16,595,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepTheLeg View Post
I'm just curious - outside of the tipping issue, how is renting the car easier than cabbing or using SuperShuttle?

Unlike cab or supershuttle, I would still have to return the car the next day, AND spend more money to refill the tank. You complain about the cab or the supershuttle taking more time, but to me, returning the car actually burns more time than using cab or supershuttle.

Check it:

1) Have to take the shuttle off-site to the rental agency
2) Make sure rental agency gave you the right car that can fit your party and baby seat (this has been screwed up the last two times by different agencies)
3) Spend an hour and a half returning the car the next day and spending money to refill the tank.

We have a dedicated ride and reservation from SuperShuttle. So even if I'm waiting 20-30 minutes after luggage pickup for the shuttle, it's STILL going to be quicker overall than renting the car, and I don't have to be bothered returning the car the next day.

Plus, SuperShuttle + tip is still cheaper than renting a car.

Remember: I don't need a rental car for my entire trip. I was just looking for transport from Sky Harbor to where I am staying. Nothing more.

Do what you want to do.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:24 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,905,802 times
If a week or so, I will park at the off-site lot, take the bus, go, come back and get my car....at most $50 for the week...$7 with a coupon, could be less with another...

Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,767,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
What do most people in the Phoenix area do to get to the airport? Take these shuttles or cabs or drive in their own car, and park at the airport or nearby lots? I would guess most just drive themself and pay the parking fees. Which probably are cheaper than the shuttles in some instances in the economy parking lots. At least if one is going away for a week. I know from Surprise these shuttles are around $80 incl the taxes and fuel fee RT. That is the cheapest one from here. Then add all the wait time involved with that kind of service. I'd rather drive myself and park at the airport.
To get to the airport I take SuperShuttle ($14 plus tip).

To get back from the airport I either take a cab ($25 with tip) or if I am not in such a hurry I take the light rail which stops about 5 blocks from my house ($3.50).

But I chose to live in the city rather than out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:07 PM

570 posts, read 1,006,018 times
When I've had to go to Sky Harbor, it's been either cabbing it or rides from friends. One of my friends who flys frequently will park at the airport once in a while, if out of town for only a few days.

If more people in the outer suburbs like AJ were demanding more, or ANY, mass transit options, maybe there would be more of a push for some in the government. But there really isn't that much. I think most people who are moving to or visiting outlying areas know what they're getting into. Other than the light rail line, I don't know of any mass transit in Arizona that runs after 11pm (when the OP is flying into Sky Harbor).

Old 04-18-2013, 10:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,702,262 times
I forgot to post my experience:

Using SuperShuttle was a great experience. We had to wait about 10 minutes for the van to show up, but after that, it was smooth sailing. They took us door to door, a careful, courteous, and pleasant driver, and I would definitely use them again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area