U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 AM

6 posts, read 25,163 times

Advertisements

I'm driving to Phoenix next week. I've been to PHX area quite a few times in the past and love all it has to offer. Yes, I've been there in Jun/Jul/Aug and know the heat and I'm fine with it. Although, moving next week is good in such that it will give me time to get used to the area and not deal with extreme heat until next year.

I've been looking at couple apartments around Tempe and frankly, I'm just lost and confused. There are so many out there and a lot of them have negative reviews. I'm quite flexible as to where I can stay because I'm in a home-based profession (and travel a little) where my work entirely depends on computer/phone/home office. So, selecting a area based on my work is not relevant to my situation.

However, since I'm all by myself and still establishing my business, I'd like to keep the expenses as low as possible. ($600 or so for a small 0/1 studio will work) Can you suggest an area/apt complex that is in a safe area where I don't have to worry about getting my car jacked or my door knocked down in the middle of the night? I'm 32, don't drink or do drugs, and don't need to be near the bar/party scene. I'd like to be in a young (25-35 age group) neighborhood however and not too far from the airport or things like grocery stores/gym/shopping/library/bookstores (I love reading). Hence, I picked Tempe! Are there any other areas I should consider? Can someone guide me on the safe area/pockets of Tempe?

I'll really appreciate all your help! Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 AM

17,824 posts, read 38,716,847 times
Generally, further south is better, to get away from the immediate University area, where property crimes are somewhat more prevalent. South of Broadway, or even further, south of Southern Ave., will get you out of the higher concentration of the undergrads.

Negative reviews on apartment websites should be taken with a grain of salt, as they are often posted by people with axes to grind who ran afoul of management due to their own actions. Most apartment complexes in Tempe are going to have plenty of people in your age group.

Nothing in Tempe is very far from the airport; grocery stores are scattered all over, the library is right at Rural and Southern, and there's a great independent bookstore in south Tempe. There are some gyms in the area, too.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM

61 posts, read 249,248 times
I don't really know Tempe, but like other poster mentioned, take those apartment reviews with a grain of salt. My daughter just spent several months looking for an apartment and going by the reviews mostly. The place she ultimately selected had some pretty good reviews, but she's been there 5 months and has had nothing but issues - water pipe from next door breaking and flooding her apt., a/c breaking down and not getting fixed for 3 days, stuff like that. So while reviews are helpful, they don't compare to physically going to the various complexes and checking them out first hand.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM

992 posts, read 2,588,395 times
Like others have mentioned if U want to avoid the undergrads such as myself then stay south of Southern. There are decent apartments along Baseline. There are also quite a few nice apartments on Kyrene between Guadalupe&Elliot. You shouldn't have a problem finding something in your budget. Like someone else said you are never far from the grocery store and other conveniences in Tempe. Although it's a suburb it's very much "Big City" with a lot traffic and people everywhere. Gas stations on every corner, grocery stores a mile apart, fast food joints at every intersection, etc, etc. I like Tempe it's a nice city with plenty of fun things to do.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:41 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,840,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessLoverr View Post
I'm driving to Phoenix next week. I've been to PHX area quite a few times in the past and love all it has to offer. Yes, I've been there in Jun/Jul/Aug and know the heat and I'm fine with it. Although, moving next week is good in such that it will give me time to get used to the area and not deal with extreme heat until next year.

I've been looking at couple apartments around Tempe and frankly, I'm just lost and confused. There are so many out there and a lot of them have negative reviews. I'm quite flexible as to where I can stay because I'm in a home-based profession (and travel a little) where my work entirely depends on computer/phone/home office. So, selecting a area based on my work is not relevant to my situation.

However, since I'm all by myself and still establishing my business, I'd like to keep the expenses as low as possible. ($600 or so for a small 0/1 studio will work) Can you suggest an area/apt complex that is in a safe area where I don't have to worry about getting my car jacked or my door knocked down in the middle of the night? I'm 32, don't drink or do drugs, and don't need to be near the bar/party scene. I'd like to be in a young (25-35 age group) neighborhood however and not too far from the airport or things like grocery stores/gym/shopping/library/bookstores (I love reading). Hence, I picked Tempe! Are there any other areas I should consider? Can someone guide me on the safe area/pockets of Tempe?

I'll really appreciate all your help! Thanks
Chesslover, I'll be honest, I've left negative reviews for Tempe apartments. But lets be honest. $800 is hit or miss for 2bd because of the giant take over of ASU'ism. I found 0/1 bd in Tempe are really hard to find while college is in session. I've lived in some really dumpy apartments, a lot of Tempe apartments are, but as far as fearing for my safety? Never. I was more scared to step on dog dookie, then being mugged or whatever. Tempe is sesame street compared to places I've been to in Sacramento. I lived ON mill and never feared for my safety. It's so white bread here. lol.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Like others have mentioned if U want to avoid the undergrads such as myself then stay south of Southern. There are decent apartments along Baseline. There are also quite a few nice apartments on Kyrene between Guadalupe&Elliot. You shouldn't have a problem finding something in your budget. Like someone else said you are never far from the grocery store and other conveniences in Tempe. Although it's a suburb it's very much "Big City" with a lot traffic and people everywhere. Gas stations on every corner, grocery stores a mile apart, fast food joints at every intersection, etc, etc. I like Tempe it's a nice city with plenty of fun things to do.

Thanks! I don't really need to go out of my way to avoid undergrads..would it be cheaper to stay south or north of Southern? The apts on baseline and the area you mentioned are almost $700 and most 1/1 are unavailable anyway. I rather get a studio over a 1/1-less headache to furnish and manage.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Chesslover, I'll be honest, I've left negative reviews for Tempe apartments. But lets be honest. $800 is hit or miss for 2bd because of the giant take over of ASU'ism. I found 0/1 bd in Tempe are really hard to find while college is in session. I've lived in some really dumpy apartments, a lot of Tempe apartments are, but as far as fearing for my safety? Never. I was more scared to step on dog dookie, then being mugged or whatever. Tempe is sesame street compared to places I've been to in Sacramento. I lived ON mill and never feared for my safety. It's so white bread here. lol.

Thanks. Yes, as you said, a lot of 0/1 are unavailable right now and it's hard to find a decent non-dumpy apt. lol I'll expand my search to include south/north Tempe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area