U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 48,369 times

Advertisements

My family and I are wanting to up and leave CA and move to AZ. We are a young family looking to find a great safe neighborhood at most an hour away from the city. Anthem caught my eye. I have heard its a "nazi community" and the water bills are $300 at LEAST. but that's all I have heard. Can anyone else let me in on Anthem? We're looking around there...buckeye..surprise...nowhere too south. thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 01:05 AM

8,875 posts, read 15,157,470 times
I see this is your first post. Did you do a search using the term "Anthem Arizona"? There have been a lot of threads here about Anthem in the past. Also all the other suburbs you mentioned. You'll learn a lot from reading those threads and get a better idea of what living there is like. Sometimes people will talk about things you never even thought to ask about. Many people seem to be happy there so I really doubt that the strict HOA is the only thing worth knowing about Anthem.

These article from Phoenix magazine provide brief opinionated snapshots of most of the neighborhoods of the metro, including the ones you mentioned.

2008 Best Places to Live - Phoenix Magazine
2009 Best Places to Live - Phoenix Magazine
2010 Best Places to Live - Phoenix Magazine
Best Phoenix Neighborhoods - Phoenix Magazine
Neighborhoods We Love - Phoenix Magazine

Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 AM

Yes I looked at a few. Most were a little outdated so I wanted to make sure they still were good. You can never be too sure these days!

Old 10-15-2012, 11:32 AM

6,026 posts, read 7,240,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcak3 View Post
My family and I are wanting to up and leave CA and move to AZ. We are a young family looking to find a great safe neighborhood at most an hour away from the city. Anthem caught my eye. I have heard its a "nazi community" and the water bills are $300 at LEAST. but that's all I have heard. Can anyone else let me in on Anthem? We're looking around there...buckeye..surprise...nowhere too south. thank you!
We moved to Anthem from Pennsylvania about 4 months ago. We absolutely love it. There does seem to be a bit of negativity about Anthem floating around, and I don't see why. No community is perfect, but this one, to me, seems darned good. Like yourself, I researched Anthem on C-D before we moved and I also found a lot of older threads. One thing you can disregard are the threads complaining about the heavy traffic in and out on I-17. They are outdated as 17 was widened a few years ago and there are no traffic issues at all from at least the 101 to Anthem. Another completely ridiculous thing you may hear about Anthem (we did, even from our realtor) is that it has a reputation as being a haven for people who prefer a certain "lifestyle". That's all nonsense and barely worth repeating but since I know there are posts about it here I mention it.

I've heard complaints about the HOA as well. All I can say about that is, read the rules and the CC&Rs. They are available online at www.onlineatanthem.com. HOAs in general can be a pain, especially if you find the rules objectionable. I had no issues with the rules and I've had no problems with the HOA. The Community Center is beautiful, the staff friendly and it is well maintained.

Here's the thing with the water. If you live in Anthem on the east side of I-17, the water is provided by Epcor, a private water company, and the rates are very high. We are using about 18000 gal a month and are paying about $200 a month, which includes sewer. That's high, but its not $300. We have a pool and an irrigation system, family of 5 (including one teen). Also, this has been for summer months. We are working on lowering that (I think the irrigation system is watering too much) but that's a topic for another thread. On the west side of I-17 the water is provided by the City of Phoenix and I understand its less expensive. Having lived here for a while now, though, I like the east side better (no offense to anyone on the west side), to me the west side doesn't feel like its really Anthem.

If you want to be away from the city, but not too far, in a safe family atmosphere with friendly people and good schools I think Anthem is a great choice. Feel free to PM me if you want any additional details.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Thank you very much for the information! The more I hear about it I like it. i heard about the "lifestyle" too. i told my husband just dont go to "pink rock" houses lol

I asked my r.e. agent about this but I am still waiting back on a response. I know when you own there, you pay for the HOA fees which let you into the community center. If you rent in anthem, do you still have to pay those fees or is it your landlord that does it for you because they own the house?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:13 PM

6,026 posts, read 7,240,976 times
Quote:
Thank you very much for the information! The more I hear about it I like it. i heard about the "lifestyle" too. i told my husband just dont go to "pink rock" houses lol

I asked my r.e. agent about this but I am still waiting back on a response. I know when you own there, you pay for the HOA fees which let you into the community center. If you rent in anthem, do you still have to pay those fees or is it your landlord that does it for you because they own the house?
Pink rocks, green rocks, purple rocks I've heard all that. Haven't seen one yet.

The landlord pays the dues. The landlord signs a form for you, which you bring with a copy of your lease and a one-time fee of $75, then you get your own IDs and can use all the amenities. You just have to make an appointment at the community center, the whole process only takes a few minutes.

Old 10-17-2012, 04:26 PM

56 posts, read 152,650 times
We also love Anthem. We studied Anthem and the other communities, prior to purchasing our home, and are VERY happy with our decision. We have 4 generations now that have moved here in the past year. We chose Parkside, my mother chose to live in the country club, our daughter and grandson are in the condos and our son is also in Parkside. We don't have any issues (thus far) with the Homeowners Association, but then we don't leave car bodies out in the driveway, etc. The association fees are very reasonable for Parkside ($79/month). We have a 1200 sq ft (no pool) and ALL of our utilities (water/sewer/gas/electric) average a COMBINED total of $300/mo. Some people complain that it is too far from things. We don't agree at all. We love having all the necessities right here, and a movie theater 15 minutes away, and if we CHOOSE to venture into the "city" for the Mall, etc., it isn't that far or a big deal. My kids found jobs within a 20 minute drive, so even the commute works for them. I think it says alot that a community can attract such a broad range of ages.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbird2B View Post
We also love Anthem. We studied Anthem and the other communities, prior to purchasing our home, and are VERY happy with our decision. We have 4 generations now that have moved here in the past year. We chose Parkside, my mother chose to live in the country club, our daughter and grandson are in the condos and our son is also in Parkside. We don't have any issues (thus far) with the Homeowners Association, but then we don't leave car bodies out in the driveway, etc. The association fees are very reasonable for Parkside ($79/month). We have a 1200 sq ft (no pool) and ALL of our utilities (water/sewer/gas/electric) average a COMBINED total of $300/mo. Some people complain that it is too far from things. We don't agree at all. We love having all the necessities right here, and a movie theater 15 minutes away, and if we CHOOSE to venture into the "city" for the Mall, etc., it isn't that far or a big deal. My kids found jobs within a 20 minute drive, so even the commute works for them. I think it says alot that a community can attract such a broad range of ages.
What other places did you look at before deciding Anthem? We're looking at Surprise, Buckeye, and Avondale also but I love the idea of Anthem.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:22 AM

56 posts, read 152,650 times
Quote:
What other places did you look at before deciding Anthem? We're looking at Surprise, Buckeye, and Avondale also but I love the idea of Anthem.
We seriously looked at Marley Park (Surprise) and Vistancia (Peoria) but Anthem felt immediately like "home" to all of us, especially considering the "age range" and the different desires we each had. I would really suggest you atleast visit it in person before making a final decision. We have lived in Northern California and most recently on an island in the PNW, so we didn't want to live "in" the city, but didn't want to feel isolated, but still wanted to be close enough to major shopping and great healthcare, which Anthem has provided. Hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM

175 posts, read 438,471 times
I lived in Anthem for 8 years before moving closer to my daughter's high school in N. Phoenix. I can say that for a family with kids you really can't beat living there. The 1-8th grade schools are excellent but the high school is a different story. "Overcrowded" I guess would be the best word I can say to describe Boulder Creek. Anyway they have a beautiful main park with fishing ponds, a Veterans Memorial area, a wonderful community center with a nice large pool, enough fast food places to keep everyone happy and a super Walmart across the 17 on the Westside. A branch of the Maricopa county library is located right next to the high school. Have carnival type rides twice a year to celebrate founders day and I believe Veterans day but not sure. July 4th celebration is top- notched (even though it is on July 3rd) along with a great veterans day parade. Try to find a home on the east side if you can. More of a community feeling there. Yes water rates are higher but get desert landscaping (no lawns) and it shouldn't be that high($150?).
Follow the HOA rules and you should for the most part be happy living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area