U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:32 PM

148 posts, read 248,478 times

Advertisements

Hi We are coming to AZ over christmas and new year and wondered where the best place is to rent a car.
Our plan is that upon arriving at the airport at 11pm we were going to stay at a hotel close to the airport, via using the hotel shuttle from the airport and then the next day we would pick up a rental car from somewhere close by.

Is it cheaper to rent off Airport grounds or at the airport ? Which company's are the cheapest ? Are their alot of add on's that they try to get you for on top of the car rental base price ? Do any of the car companies deliver to the hotels ?

We have only had rentals before that were covered trhough our insurance companies, so we have never had the experience of paying for them.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:24 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,542,517 times
I use to have a parttime job with AvisBudget for 6 years but not in Phoenix. So this is what I am going to recommend you do on this trip. Your plan to stay at a hotel near the airport and rent a car the next day. Excellent plan. Now by no means rent a car at the Phoenix airport. I can't stress that enough. Phoenix is just about the highest cost rental market in the USA if not the highest. Its the amount of taxes and fees collected in this particular city that causes the high cost. As bad as most cities are for add on fees on car rentals. Phoenix is the worst offender. I am not exaggerating the tax structure can literally double the cost of a weekly rental. Its that bad.

So do this. Find out from your hotel if they have a car rental site on the hotel grounds. Many times major hotels have a contract with the car companies, to keep some rental cars at the hotel for hotel guest rentals. I am not sure of local hotels in the Phx area and what they do on this subject. So You will have to ask on that one. Make sure your hotel is not on airport property, or you will still deal with the high airport cost. You will pay Maricopa county taxes where ever you go though.

Another thing to remember is. Never take a rental car shuttle from skyharbor to their off airport rental locations. If you do because you were picked up at the airport, you will still pay the high airport rental charge. So keep that in mind also. If your hotel doesn't have a rental car kiosk on their property, then your only other option to beat the high cost is. The surburbs. Fortunately there are numberous locations all over Metro Phoenix. The trouble is getting to them. Public transit is pitiful here unless you are right in the central area of Phx, Mesa or Tempe. So you would be dealing with a cab I imagine. Phoenix really gets you. Its a nice area but its to damn dependent on cars for a large Metro area.

I wish you luck. If it were me I would never rent at skyharbor. Even if it meant I had no way out of it but a vehicle. I would do as you are doing. Stay at a nearby hotel. Make arrangements from a rental company that is out of range of airport property and their outrageous fees.

I would try to book a car thru bookingbuddies.com or Priceline type websites for one of those suburban locations. That is once you find out about the hotel and whether it offers car rentals or not.

I hope you enjoy your holiday and I hope this reply has helped you in some way.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 PM

679 posts, read 786,275 times
Which airport are you flying into?

Old 10-20-2012, 10:35 PM

631 posts, read 829,611 times
Have you looked at Expedia or the other travel websites? You should be able to find out pretty quickly which company is the lowest price on the dates you are needing the vehicle.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:45 PM

6,341 posts, read 13,360,565 times
+1 for Jimrob's post. Definitely if there's any way you can do it, rent from a neighborhood location.

Use the airport shuttle to get to the hotel, & take a cab if necessary to a neighborhood location.

If you're a Costco member, you can get excellent pricing online there, just make sure you uncheck the box that says "airport" & pick someplace close to your hotel.

If you want to look for discount codes for rental cars, you can check the "flyer talk" forums.

For what it's worth, many of the off-airport locations will now pick you up, as long as you arrange it in advance.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:49 AM

2,066 posts, read 3,564,277 times
Jimrob's post is 100% correct. Stay away from the airport rentals as you'll pay double with their taxes. I use Budget on Indian School Rd.,it's only 3 miles from the airport and half the cost. Use PX1 as the location code,check it against Sky Harbor's (PHX) and you'll see a big difference. You can also pick up the car off the airport and return it to the airport. I take Super Shuttle to and from Budget,they cover all of the Phoenix area and are cheaper than taxis.

Car Rentals from Budget

SuperShuttle Airport Shuttle Service LAX SFO DIA PHX BWI DFW TPA JFK JAX CDG IAD SAN DCA SMF MCI IAH LGA MSP EWR AUS SNA HOU BUR DAL OAK ONT LGB SJC ISP PTP PIE ORY MIA MCO Airport

Old 10-21-2012, 10:00 AM

5,801 posts, read 6,068,040 times
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you or anybody else EVER renat a car at ANY major US airport; the so-called 'junk fees' will send your final bill into the stratosphere.

Renting a full-size car from Hertz if you're an Auto Club member for a full week will save you $95.00 at the Phoenix Airport Hilton vs. the airport.

Last edited by Marv101; 10-21-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 AM

3,391 posts, read 6,687,742 times
I've always been pleased with prices and service with Enterprise offices (not airport locations). Plus, they'll pick up/deliver.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:20 AM

8,390 posts, read 10,848,434 times
I use Enterprise as well because of the pick up/drop off option. It's saves some $$$.

Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM

51 posts, read 69,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I've always been pleased with prices and service with Enterprise offices (not airport locations). Plus, they'll pick up/deliver.
Could you please explain the pick up/delivery? If I rent from an 'off-airport' location will they pick me up at the airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area