Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:52 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maronson View Post
I am moving to Phoenix next month, and was looking at threads, and have many of the same interests as flyingsaucermom. I want to be close to light rail if possible, need strong schools for my kids (10 and 13), with a neighborhood with kids and safety, given that I'm a single mom and work. I appreciate a bohemian/artistic/liberal community, but have no idea where to find that in Phoenix. Any advice? I'd like to be close to light rail, as I'll likely be working in the downtown.
It's a little pricy, but I think the Willo Historic District would fit all your requirements perfectly plus it would be the easiest commute imaginable; apart from this, it's one of the nicest areas of the city regardless. Check out the Willo Historical District and see if that fits your budget and preferences. Feel free to drop any further questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:41 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Some suggestions from several different issues of Phoenix magazine:

I chose this one because Tempe has very good light rail coverage:
"Alameda, Tempe

It’s no Haight-Ashbury, but if the Valley has a ’hood for upgraded hippies-at-heart, it’s the area just east of Mill Avenue and Alameda Drive. Here, you can sleep comfortably on a well-manicured street secure in the knowledge that you’re not surrounded by a sea of Stepford wives but instead close to that liberal lifeline: the university. The enclave is justifiably popular with professorial types and lifelong learners who take advantage of ASU’s many free programs and concerts. Houses are somewhat older, but several sport a fresh coat of stucco, and a few resemble modern art museums. And Mill Avenue offers plenty of indie hotspots amid the chains. Boho vegetarians caffeinate at Three Roots Cafe, Asia-philes stock up on kimchee at Village Market, and one patchouli-scented whiff of Hippie Gypsy clothing store will transport you back to 1969."

There's an enclave of homes in Tempe known as Maple-Ash, comprising about 350 houses built in the 1950s to 60s. Cute and homey, but within walking distance to all the new amenities of Tempe, supposedly good schools, and on the light rail. Maple Ash Neighborhood Tempe AZ University Heights is another neighborhood in Tempe with good light rail access.

"South Scottsdale, aka the Dale Next Door

Scottsdale is a more diverse city than people realize; it’s not all cowboy art, velvet-rope nightclubs and sprawling, seven-figure gated homes with tastefully spare desert landscaping. There’s also a part of Scottsdale – with an epicenter at, say, Scottsdale and Thomas roads – where you can bike to the Coach House, catch a free bus to ASU or jog the trails of Papago Park. It’s Scottsdale for the people. Best for: Left-leaning dog-lovers and bartending doctoral candidates"

Note: This neighborhood is really a mixture of zipcodes. Also, most is in Scottsdale and some crosses over to Phoenix, so consult a Realtor about what schools would be best for your kids. But the park is great and despite being called Scottsdale this area has more of a poor-man's Arcadia vibe. It's definitely not chi-chi North Scottsdale or the well-known entertainment and shopping extravaganza known as Old Town Scottsdale.

And, of course, El_Waiboi's suggestion of Willo is primo if it's in your price range. Gorgeous homes.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:15 PM

57 posts, read 109,611 times
I went to ASU and had many classes at Polytechnic. Def won't be the type of family faculty housing you're interested in.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM

11 posts, read 17,898 times
@flysaucermom - I am now in a similar situation. We are considering a faculty position at ASU and have two small children (2 and 6). Now that you've been in the area, what is YOUR recommendation? Thanks!

Old 02-03-2015, 12:47 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Well, you could live in Tempe and take either the light rail (you might need a short bus ride to get there, if you don't live right along the route, or take an express bus from the southern part of the city. But, if you are looking for bohemian/artistic, I'd live closer to downtown Phoenix, between 7th St and 7th Ave. You could go north a bit along or just off Central, and take the light rail south to downtown.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sws9 View Post
I went to ASU and had many classes at Polytechnic. Def won't be the type of family faculty housing you're interested in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturasPond View Post
@flysaucermom - I am now in a similar situation. We are considering a faculty position at ASU and have two small children (2 and 6). Now that you've been in the area, what is YOUR recommendation? Thanks!

This is an old thread resurrected today by a new poster. Flyingsaucermom is evidently still in WA, according to recent posts. Not sure if they ever actually came here. Send her a Direct Message through the forum and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area