Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,622,209 times

Advertisements

Dh has a solid and positive faculty position at ASU and we need to start the relocation process. We currently live in a uber master planned new urbanist village in Issaquah, WA that offers housing options for all SES levels (we live in a condo, but enjoy an extremely family-friendly environment). I have a great arrangement right now where excellent schools, yoga studios and community colleges are miles of each other. I would love to remake this situation in AZ. I insist on strong academic programs for the kids (and one of my kids is high functioning autistic that benefits from an IEP) and we might be willing to use private schools. We are definitely liberals (yeah, I know, good luck with that, right?), my husband is from Mexico and we're both history and culture buffs. We don't want to be near the undergraduates We could afford a home of at least $370k but are looking to rent (up to $2000 monthly). I don't want a big house or a big lot and the cheaper the better. Access to a pool, playground and community center is ideal. Dh might not need to drive in every day so we are considering places as far out as Verrado. I have read positive things about N. Scottsdale, Greyhawk, Chandler, Gilbert, especially Ahwatukee (sounds awesome but it's farthest from a nursing program for me), Arcadia, Goodyear and Surprise. I am even considering student housing at the polytechnic campus (faculty can live there too). Given our demographic info, could anyone provide an opinion???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 PM

606 posts, read 1,599,900 times
So will both you and your husband be working at the ASU Polytechnic Campus? Google says it has a Mesa address, but on the map it looks like it's between Higley and Queen Creek. But yeah, is that the area you and your husband will be commuting to every day?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Sorry for any confusion. He'll be at the Tempe campus. I am going back to school for nursing and could do the program at most of the Maricopa County CC campuses. ASU Polytechnic campus is also where Gilbert/Chandler CC has their nursing program. Student family housing is for both ASU and MCCC students. We've lived in student family housing at UT Austin and UW Madison and enjoyed it a lot (both had excellent schools nearby and wonderful, diverse communities). We like quality, but not necessarily fancy. His current commute is 1hr each way. We would be willing do keep that for the right living arrangements.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:50 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,744,187 times
Who chose ll those placed on other other edges on the valley when I best place to live will be in Tempe itself. Look into South Tempe and you will far from the campus and it's an upscale area. Also, the Kyrene school district is one of the best in the Valley.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,233,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Dh has a solid and positive faculty position at ASU and we need to start the relocation process. We currently live in a uber master planned new urbanist village in Issaquah, WA that offers housing options for all SES levels (we live in a condo, but enjoy an extremely family-friendly environment). I have a great arrangement right now where excellent schools, yoga studios and community colleges are miles of each other. I would love to remake this situation in AZ. I insist on strong academic programs for the kids (and one of my kids is high functioning autistic that benefits from an IEP) and we might be willing to use private schools. We are definitely liberals (yeah, I know, good luck with that, right?), my husband is from Mexico and we're both history and culture buffs. We don't want to be near the undergraduates We could afford a home of at least $370k but are looking to rent (up to $2000 monthly). I don't want a big house or a big lot and the cheaper the better. Access to a pool, playground and community center is ideal. Dh might not need to drive in every day so we are considering places as far out as Verrado. I have read positive things about N. Scottsdale, Greyhawk, Chandler, Gilbert, especially Ahwatukee (sounds awesome but it's farthest from a nursing program for me), Arcadia, Goodyear and Surprise. I am even considering student housing at the polytechnic campus (faculty can live there too). Given our demographic info, could anyone provide an opinion???
I don't think you should consider Verrado. Whether he has to come in every day or not, that is a ridiculously long commute. Same with Surprise. Goodyear is a nice area, but I see no need to live that far from campus, either.

South Tempe would work for you very well. You don't have to get very far south of campus before you aren't aware the University is even there, unless you want to take advantage of what it offers in terms of cultural events, etc. Tempe has a great Parks and Rec department with all kinds of programs and classes for adults and children. Kyrene School District there is excellent. There are other good options in Chandler in terms of neighborhoods, and good schools too. Being liberal politically, Gilbert would not be the best fit for you. Tempe is quite diverse and leans more liberal, Chandler is more that way than Gilbert. Ahwatukee is a great area, I'm not sure where your nursing program is located.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,232,341 times
South Tempe would be perfect. I used to live near Warner/Rural and it took 10 minutes to be in the campus area at rush hour, without getting on a freeway at all. South Chandler (South of 202) is another good option if you prefer homes less than 10 years old. If you stay close to the 202 and not too far East, it's barely 20 minutes via 202 & 101 at rush hour. Ahwatukee would be a good option if you like mountain views, also about 20 minutes via I-10, as long as you're reasonably close to the freeway. I would avoid Mesa.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM

If you don't want to be around undergraduates, I'm not sure why you would pick campus housing. I think your children would enjoy a more typical neighborhood with more children.

The commute from South Tempe or Ahwatukee to Chandler-Gilbert CC would be a reverse one and not bad. If you are thinking Ahwatukee is too far from that nursing program, why would you even think of Verrado, Surprise or Goodyear? Spending all that time on the road, for both of you, rather than spending it with your family, isn't the best choice, in my opinion.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:18 PM

890 posts, read 2,269,553 times
Check out Ocotillo in South Chandler! It's a newer master-planned community but much closer to Tempe than Verrado.

I think you would also enjoy South Tempe and Arcadia, but as those neighborhoods are older, "Access to a pool, playground and community center" will be harder to find, as those are found more in newer developments with HOA's and community amenities. It would be easier to find a home with a private pool located near a public park and city community center in those areas.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:15 PM

I don't know what student family housing is like for ASU and that is something that I will continue to research. Like I said earlier, we lived in family housing at UT Austin and UW Madison and both schools housed families in different complexes, completely away from undergraduates. They were both exceptional communities, with tons of children of all sorts of nationalities and languages running, playing and living together (we used to joke that all our kids were going to end up working for the UN) and at UW we were so tight that one of my neighbors actually got a tattoo of our building number There is substantial variability in offerings though. We considered housing when my husband got hired at Michigan State, but their accommodations were too small and were combined with undergraduates.

Estrella Mountain Community College is close to Verrado and that's why it's a possibility. Frankly I'm not worried about my husband's commute as long as I'm always very close to the kids. His (future) boss commutes once a week from Sedona and stays overnight in Scottsdale. We're not that extreme, but if he only needs to go to campus once a week to teach then we could be more flexible.

I wish I knew which neighborhood had the most kids running around. I like the idea of community amenities and HOAs because, at least here, they can facilitate community interaction. Ocotillo is on my radar too!

Thanks for the replies!

Old 10-28-2012, 09:11 PM

I don't have first hand experience, but I don't think you will find the "family"/faculty housing at Polytechnic to be what you are accustomed to at those other campuses where you liked it.

I would have to REALLY love a place like Verrado substantially more than any place on the east side of the Valley before I would set myself up for any kind of commuting to Tempe from there. You may not find exactly what you have now (in fact, I'm pretty sure you won't) in this area, but you don't have to set yourselves both up for ridiculously long commutes IN TRAFFIC to find something that will meet your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area