Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times

Advertisements

Magnum Mike, your posts are 100% right on target. I've lived here in the Phoenix area since 1963 and have enjoyed every moment of it. I love it when people from humid, cold, icy, tornado,, hurricane, floods, earthquake type areas rant on AZ hot weather. Makes me laugh at their foibles and how nice it is here in the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 06:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
"Getting you head examined" is more a tongue and cheek expression and I am just busting a little.

But I do wonder why people in Arizona (Phoenix specifically) always try to claim that the weather isn't that bad. Talk to a person from Houston about their summers and they will tell you the truth, it stinks. Talk to a person from Seattle about the rain and they will tell you the truth, it's dreary. Talk to a person from Boston about the winters and they will tell you the truth that they suck. I could go on...

When the temperatures are in the upper 90's in mid October, that is not nice. And certainly there are temperatures under 100 that are most certainly hot.
Let me put it this way:

I am a Wash DC native; born and raised------left that place courtesy of the crappy weather------winter and summer. Even our 'hot' Az desert summers are more pleasant in my experience

Suffice to say I have been nowhere near that section of the USA since 1978

Old 10-11-2007, 06:47 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Well it sounds to me you're talking on behalf of other people in Seattle, and Houston - Have you asked everybody in Seattle and Houston about their cities? You're not going to get the same answer every time, and as a Phoenix native, I can tell you that it certainly isn't perfect, but we live here and we make the best of it.

I know people in Seattle and Houston and they tell me different things, some like the constant drizzle from October until June in the Northwest, and some hate it; and yes Houston gets humid in the summer, but there has to be a reason why so many people live there, and I'm sure there are a lot of things to like about both cities.

Me, I wouldn't live in places like Chicago or Minneapolis because I don't care for the snow and ice, and I'm sure many who live in those cities will tell you that they hate the snow and ice. People here say it's too hot, well that's the desert, what do you expect? Compared to July and August, right now until the middle of May or so, the weather will be perfect, even though it's in the 90's right now. Keep in mind also that the 90's only last for an hour or so, but it's nice and brisk mid 50's and 60's in the morning, and it warms up to the mid 80's by noon, and mid 90's by the mid afternoon, then it starts cooling down when the sun is about 45 degrees above the horizon.
I know friends and family in Seattle and have heard them talk about the wonderful hiking, wonderful city life, wonderful water and natural beauty, wonderful summer weather, wonderful high tech jobs but I have NEVER heard anyone talk about the "wonderful" dreary, rainy weather seven months out of the year.

I know friends and family in Houston and have heard them talk about the wonderful job opportunities, high pay, low living expenses, cheaper home prices and friendliness of the people. I have NEVER heard people talk about the "wonderful" hot humid weather that feels like a towel has hit you in the face when you walk outside in the summer.

Look, I didn't like my time in Phoenix but I can see some of the positives of living out there. My only point is that the weather is not one of Phoenix's prime positives. If you want great weather, move to Southern California.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:08 PM

86 posts, read 267,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From KW View Post
What is your favourite month weather-wise?
Here in MI? I would take what we had this past July--high 80s, sunshine, dry.

In AZ? I have visited a few times and the time I was there in March seemed ideal--high 80s, sunshine, very dry. July seemed a tad warm, I think it was 105, but I still went hiking, Oct was in 90s and almost perfect, although it DID thunderstorm even tho everybody told me it wouldn't.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,303,340 times
It's not so much the numerical value of the temperatures that makes this place so hot-- it's the intensity of the sun's rays. That's what the real issue is. You can be outdoors, at long as you're in total shade with a slight breeze, and 95 degrees with no humidity can feel quite comfortable. I'll be the first to admit that. Above 100, it really does get uncomfortable. The problem is the moment you step into the exposed sun-- then you feel like you are baking. For example, I bicycle back and forth to the ASU campus everyday, during the hottest of the daylight hours, with a backpack on my back, and by the time I arrive the back of my shirt is soaked in sweat-- even though it's low humidity. It's really hard to stay clean here for very long if you have to be outside in the middle of the day. I just came out of a meeting where I had to sit next to somebody with bad body odor. It was so gross I almost had to gag!

Even if it's only 70 degrees out, the sun here is a real killer. That's why cultures around the world who are native to desert areas take long afternoon siestas. The problem with Phoenix is that we take the same lifestyles and daily schedules that were developed in a completely different geography, throw it into a desert, and pretend nothing's odd.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:55 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm not complaining. This has been a very nice early fall. Cooler than most years it seems. Every weekend for the last month it has been gorgeous. It's in the 50s at my place in the morning. Anyway, temps will drop by the weekend (again).
On that point, I will agree. The average last date for 100 degree temps in Phoenix is October 2nd. This year, the last date for 100 degree weather was September 21st ... which meant that fall set in a little earlier than usual this year. We could still reach 100 degrees, but it's becoming more and more unlikely as we progress further into fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Not only is it still hot, but I'm willing to bet that last Thursday was the last rain we'll be having for a LONG while. The last few days here have been really POLLUTED. It's really gross, especially when you look at the sky towards the horizon (for some reason, it's harder to see the pollution right above you when you're in the midst of it). If this year is anything like the last two years, expect to have non stop polluted, hazy, dusty days from now until next March. Oh yeah, I can't wait.
Good grief, I HOPE NOT! That description sounds like the period between October, 2005 and March, 2006 when we had that record long rainless streak. I remember how bad the pollution was during that winter due to the lack of rain. What ticked me off the most was how a lot of people kept bragging about how beautiful it was to have sun every friggin' day. Yes, sunny days are nice ... but not when we have 100 + days of no rain! Too much of a good thing certainly applies in that case.

Now, the prediction for this upcoming winter is for above average temps and below normal precipitation (AGAIN). If that outlook holds true, I honestly don't know how much more drought we can take without consequences. If we happen to have no more rain at all through the end of the year, it will officially be the driest year on record in Phoenix history.
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Plus we all know that even in 95 degree heat it's still super hot because there are NO clouds! The suns rays are terribly damaging and just friggin' hot.
That's 100% true. They say that it feels hotter when there's higher humidity, but I don't buy it. When you're out in the direct intense sun, it IS hotter because actual temperature is measured in the shade. That's why it feels so hot out in the sun during June, July, August, and September. Just because it's a dry heat doesn't mean it's any more comfortable, or any safer.

Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 PM

919 posts, read 3,394,724 times
I think it's just about perfect right now. I'm sad that I didn't pull of one last pool party to end the season, but I also like the fact I can open the windows at night and cool the house, rather than crank the AC and write a big check to SRP.

Also my yard is coming alive like it's spring. It was a hot, dry summer and many plants/trees were brutalized. Now they're acting happy. I've got new growth, humming birds a buzzing. I've even seen butterflies fluttering about like it's March.

If Arizona stayed like this year round, it would have 20 million more residents. And I say that as someone who spent 12 years in LA and San Diego. Phoenix really is the valley of the sun. I'd have to really think hard to count the last 5 times it was cloudy. If anything, the tough summers are what keeps many away - so maybe it's a hidden blessing in a way.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I know much of the nation has had quite the heatwave, but at least theirs is breaking!
When will our dreaded heat end????
It seems to get hotter and hotter every year and seems to last longer and longer. ARGH!
I don't have two hours to drive up north everyday to get away from this heat! Waaaaaaaah!
What did I miss? I thought this weather was kind of nice. I had to eat next to a patio heater the other night, and I've had several days without air conditioning. Sunroof open in the car, too... a black car no less. It can't be that bad.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:25 AM

376 posts, read 490,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
I remember this as being the time of year when you really suffer in Phoenix (not all of AZ). Look at a weather map, and all across the country pretty much everyone else is enjoying temps in the mid-70's. In Phoenix, you've had 5 months at this point of relentlessly hot weather, and it's still hitting 90's every day until mid to late October. I can remember thinking Good God, enough already!!
Amen. This place is so hot for so long. It really wears on a person. I can't wait for an afternoon cool breeze on my face. That is all I am sayin.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:23 AM

788 posts, read 2,110,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
"Getting you head examined" is more a tongue and cheek expression and I am just busting a little.

But I do wonder why people in Arizona (Phoenix specifically) always try to claim that the weather isn't that bad. Talk to a person from Houston about their summers and they will tell you the truth, it stinks. Talk to a person from Seattle about the rain and they will tell you the truth, it's dreary. Talk to a person from Boston about the winters and they will tell you the truth that they suck. I could go on...

When the temperatures are in the upper 90's in mid October, that is not nice. And certainly there are temperatures under 100 that are most certainly hot.
That's because you live in Boston and are used to cooler weather, so for you, 95 degrees is hot. For those of us who just went through a 110+ summer, 95 feels very nice.

And telling people to get their heads examined in person might be interpreted as tongue in cheek, but on the internet, people can misinterpret that for rudeness, since they can't see your body language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area