U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:52 AM

46 posts, read 180,936 times

Advertisements

Good morning all. I just found this forum and hope I can get some honest answers to a few questions.

I recently retired and have been looking to move out of New York. After many visits to both Florida and Scottsdale I have decided on Scottsdale. I am hoping to move out there by the end of the year or early next year.

Although, I am retired I am still young (36) and single. I retired after I suffered an injury as a NYC cop. I am looking to buy into a gated community (condo) in Scottsdale. First off, can anyone here give me some information on some nice gated communities in Scottsdale/N. Scottsdale areas. Like I said I am 36 and single so I want to live somewhere near where there is a younger crowd and great night life.

During my visit I primarily stayed in Old Town. Although, I have been told there are some great areas in N. Scottsdale. Can someone recommend some communities with a younger/active crowd. Sometimes I think these RE just show you properties in hopes they can unload them and disregard your wishes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I would love to hear what area you prefer Scottsdale or N. Scottsdale??

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM

919 posts, read 3,219,215 times
[SIZE=3]Generally speaking, central/south Scottsdale is more conducive to singles/nightlife. It’s also a shorter hop to PHX, Tempe, etc. I’m not in tune with the gated/condo scene but there are developments all over, some of which are very cool. The prices are all over the map as well – though you might have less sticker shock coming from NY. Google “Scottsdale Lofts” for some sites that list current projects. [/SIZE]

Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM

27 posts, read 68,920 times
From experience a gate for a condo community doesn't really keep anyone out as their are so many car coming in and out all the time and its easy to tail someone in.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,664,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCop View Post
Good morning all. I just found this forum and hope I can get some honest answers to a few questions.

I recently retired and have been looking to move out of New York. After many visits to both Florida and Scottsdale I have decided on Scottsdale. I am hoping to move out there by the end of the year or early next year.

Although, I am retired I am still young (36) and single. I retired after I suffered an injury as a NYC cop. I am looking to buy into a gated community (condo) in Scottsdale. First off, can anyone here give me some information on some nice gated communities in Scottsdale/N. Scottsdale areas. Like I said I am 36 and single so I want to live somewhere near where there is a younger crowd and great night life.

During my visit I primarily stayed in Old Town. Although, I have been told there are some great areas in N. Scottsdale. Can someone recommend some communities with a younger/active crowd. Sometimes I think these RE just show you properties in hopes they can unload them and disregard your wishes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you are single I probably would not suggest moving to N Scottsdale. There are a lot of nice condos, but mainly for couples.

Have you checked out the Camelback corridor area? Sometimes it's referred to as the Biltmore area. It's in the heart of central Phx and there is plently to do there. Plus downtown Phx is 5-10 minutes away...Downtown Scottsldale 20-30...Tempe not much farther.

Have you been here in the summer? Do you know how REALLY hot it is? I love the area, but have read a lot of hostile posts of transplants that either don't like the heat or think Phx is a cultural waste land.

It is, in my opinion, a good time to buy now. Bargains galore.

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:37 PM

3,632 posts, read 15,418,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
From experience a gate for a condo community doesn't really keep anyone out as their are so many car coming in and out all the time and its easy to tail someone in.
Gated condo communities will most always be a lot nicer than one that's not gated. I agree that the gate does nothing more than keep a thief waiting longer to get in. I only looked at gated apts as they are ten times nicer than the others. (now they have gated many more older, not as nice apts, so I'm not talking about those)

Old 10-11-2007, 01:46 PM

31 posts, read 174,908 times
There are two gated communities near Chaparral/Hayden. Both on the south side of Chaparral. One on east side of Hayden the other on the west side of Hayden.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:44 PM

52 posts, read 202,352 times
Talking N Sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCop View Post

Hmmm I would have to say that I would prefer N.Scottsdale! It already has started and will continue to grow and become the place to be, in my opinion.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:59 PM

9,320 posts, read 17,737,565 times
You might also look around Desert Ridge while you are looking. You are a short drive over to Scottsdale and it might be a little more affordable. My daughter and her friends all love going to Jillians and the other spots there. They are 26 to 30 ish, so you might find it fun.

Old 10-11-2007, 05:06 PM

52 posts, read 202,352 times
Desert Ridge area is great as well...much like N SD...new and booming.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM

4,472 posts, read 16,508,475 times
I live in the gated community Grayhawk in N. Scottsdale. It has a pretty mixed crowd overall; there are two sections: The Park and The Retreat. The Park is the more family-friendly one with parks, playgrounds, etc and the Retreat is more the single and retiree type crowd. The Retreat contains a golf course and as always, real estate on the course with always command a premium. I live in the Retreat on the course and love it, it's absolutely beautiful in the evening. There's quite a few singles that I know of who live fairly close.

Commute to old town is pretty short as long as it isn't rush hour. Other gated communities to consider would be Troon North, McDowell Mountain Ranch, and DC Ranch. There's literally TONS of private communities in the Valley so you have a wide array of choices. Good luck, hopefully this gave you some insight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area