Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,616 times

Advertisements

Ive moved out of my apartment. Now the landord want me to pay $700 for a new carpet. Before I moved in we seen the carpet had pet stains and I ask if the carpet would be replaced and it also had patches. I was told, oh now we just clean and patch. When I filled out the form when I moved in I put stains on carpet. Can they make me pay for a new carpet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:54 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skavanau View Post
Ive moved out of my apartment. Now the landord want me to pay $700 for a new carpet. Before I moved in we seen the carpet had pet stains and I ask if the carpet would be replaced and it also had patches. I was told, oh now we just clean and patch. When I filled out the form when I moved in I put stains on carpet. Can they make me pay for a new carpet?
Was the previous damage documented? How old is the carpet. If the carpet is past a certain year in age they cannot make you replace. As with everything it also depends on your local laws and tenant rights.

I had a landlord try this with us in California and I followed my rights, sent a certified letter with the laws highlighted, and gave him 30 days to send me my money or we would meet in court. I got a full refund check that week. Check with your local laws/google your rights. There are example letters online that you can use.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:10 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,576,169 times
Assuming you are in Arizona, here's the site to check out for your rights:

Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM

391 posts, read 787,767 times
Not sure about there but in the part of Canada Im from, its based upon the age of the carpet. Previous condition is almost impossible to substantiate so its usually a depreciated replacement cost. Depreciation is about 20%/year so after 5 years, you can't charge someone for replacement. From a landlords perspective, its unfair.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:27 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
Terminate A Lease | Arizona Renter Rights | Landlord Tenant | Arizona Apartment Ratings

Read this website. Many landlords will take advantage of people not knowing and using their rights. It is easy money. It is easier and more profitable to pay they few that actually fight for their rights than to do the right thing from the start.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:38 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,774,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skavanau View Post
If you did not damage it, then you do not have to pay for anything.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:12 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,023 times
You're in a tough spot when someone else has your money. A lot of landlords view sec. deposits as their own money and then find a way to keep it after lease end. I don't do that in my own rental property, but have heard it from a lot of folks. The carpets in my rental are 10 yrs. old, so they're pretty much done for. But it's pretty attractive to prospective renters to allow pets. And it seems every prospective renter I get has or plans to get a dog. So I just tell them I'm not replacing the carpets if they have or will get a pet, but I also won't charge a pet deposit or hold them responsible for the condition of the carpets when they vacate. It's worked well for the last three yrs.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM

223 posts, read 514,530 times
What percentage of the total job did the 700 represent?

Old 11-15-2012, 11:42 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
The answer from you comment about patches and stains is "NO". Tell them so, and contact the DOJ in Arizona with a complaint. You will get your money back.

I never give legal advice in a forum, but this one I am sure of, as long as you take a stand and you were truthfull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area