Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,960,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
19th Avenue west to 83rd Avenue, between McDowell to the south and roughly Grand Ave. to the north. This includes Scaryvale and Desert Sky mall. Gangland U.S.A. Do not go there at night unless you're packing, and I mean packing an arsenal.

LMAO Scaryvale I've never heard it called that before. That's funny! You get a point Steve.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 08:06 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,960,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Why do you keep coming back if it's so awful?
We're like a bad sore she can't stop picking at You have to admit this is a colorful group, very controversal

Old 10-15-2007, 09:38 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
19th Avenue west to 83rd Avenue, between McDowell to the south and roughly Grand Ave. to the north. This includes Scaryvale and Desert Sky mall. Gangland U.S.A. Do not go there at night unless you're packing, and I mean packing an arsenal.
Totally agree. I wouldn't go to Desert Sky during the day anymore either. Unless you fit their demographic, you will feel out of place and unwanted. The clientele make sure you know they don't want you there.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,140,907 times
For me the rock bottom part of the city is the area south of downtown extending west toward god knows where..I don't know where it ends. The SW Valley is scary to me because of the industrial nature of the businesses and sad state of housing ("Someone actually LIVES there?!"). The west side (practically anything west of 19th Ave.) is bad in my opinion. I avoid the west side and because of this I can't comment on what others say is nice about it. I really have no need to continue west to find out where/when it gets better. I agree with the individual who wrote "Chandbert" and described the endless sea of sameness in the SE Valley. In 22 years, I've yet to get to Gilbert. Why would anyone go out that far? What's there? How is it any different from the walled in subdivisions that cover the Valley?

Anyway, there are parts of San Diego that scared me more than most parts of Phoenix. Parts of Chicago and Seattle and large swaths of Los Angeles (Hell A) also fit the bill. I apparently live near one of the bad neighborhoods. I bike through the area frequently. I've never been victimized and I have no intention of being hurt. It's all in the mind.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM

434 posts, read 3,178,834 times
I used to live in Phoenix up until last year and was a sales rep who specialized in selling to warehouses and manufacturing plants. Most of these companies locate in areas where nobody wants to live and tend to be in the areas everyone is talking about. The best words of advice that I heard about traveling in the really rough areas of town was that you can go pretty much anywhere you want with no trouble until about noon or so. The type of people that will give you trouble tend to stay out late and like to sleep in. I used to go to the worst areas of Phoenix every morning and as a white guy wearing dress clothes and a tie I really stood out. But I never had any problems and always made sure to get out of the 'hood by lunchtime.

My vote for worst area is anything south of Broadway, it just blew me away the first time I drove around that not only is this a poor, rundown area but also how big of an area it is. This area of ghetto is bigger and more spread out than many cities. I felt sorry for the people who lived there, for the longest time there was not even one grocery store for miles. The only place to buy food was at corner liquor stores and mini-marts. This area makes Maryvale look like a garden spot.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 PM

3 posts, read 39,913 times
Between Indian School Rd + Buckeye. Trust Me Theres Other Bad Areas, My Opinion Most Of Phoenix, But Im Sure U Guys Know What I Mean!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:37 PM

376 posts, read 490,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
We're like a bad sore she can't stop picking at You have to admit this is a colorful group, very controversal
lol. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:03 AM

27,354 posts, read 27,407,146 times
Im gonna guess its West/South Phx, anything south of Baseline and west of Central?

Old 10-20-2007, 08:37 PM

177 posts, read 312,697 times
I say take a climb up Camelback mountain and have a good look around, but that would be generalizing. : ) A few good areas landlocked by lots of bad areas and the current keeps shifting.

Moved away from Phoenix in 1983, came back for a visit in '05 and couldn't believe how bad it's gotten. In another 20 years it's going to make Tijuana look like a nice place to live. Really sad, because I miss Arizona and would like to move back someday.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:46 PM

547 posts, read 1,185,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoshin1115 View Post
I say take a climb up Camelback mountain and have a good look around, but that would be generalizing. : ) A few good areas landlocked by lots of bad areas and the current keeps shifting.

Moved away from Phoenix in 1983, came back for a visit in '05 and couldn't believe how bad it's gotten. In another 20 years it's going to make Tijuana look like a nice place to live. Really sad, because I miss Arizona and would like to move back someday.
Like you said, it has gotten really bad in areas. We are working on changing that. In hopes that we don't end up worse than Tijuana. Maybe we'll be successful in time for you to move back. We're so much bigger now because of everyone moving here from elsewhere (I'm a transplant myself). Unfortunately, with more population there's generally more everything, including crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area