Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 07:28 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,488,209 times

Advertisements

My vote goes for Maryvale. (i believe that's what it is referred to..) The area of Van Buren and 35th Ave to Thomas/McDowell/Roosevelt along/by the interstate.

I lived there for a bit, fastfoward taking my wife to show her where i used to live, my wife just about freaked out and asked 'how could you live here?!'.

I remember south Phoenix being 'rock-bottom' the few times i've been there.

Another area which seemed like the twilight-zone was the area along Buckeye Rd. all the way from 35th Ave to around downtown. Is that what they call 'junk-yard alley'? (lol)

I'm still trying to figure out what's worst-Detroit or Phoenix?! (lol)

BTW-Anyone knows where they keep busting these drop-off houses in Phoenix? I just happened to see it on the internet news and was wondering where are they busting/raiding the drop-off houses in Phoenix. Curiousity got me wondering.

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 10-21-2007 at 07:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 10:08 AM

547 posts, read 1,186,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
BTW-Anyone knows where they keep busting these drop-off houses in Phoenix? I just happened to see it on the internet news and was wondering where are they busting/raiding the drop-off houses in Phoenix. Curiousity got me wondering.
They don't seem to be in any one area. I've noticed they seem to be in newer housing communities in either the East side or the West side, but there doesn't seem to be any specific area they target. Sorry, I know this doesn't help much.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:19 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
For whatever it is worth:

With the illegal immigrants petrified @ the upcoming Employer Sanctions Law they are definitely clearing out of Arizona-------which will likely cause many areas to improve.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For whatever it is worth:

With the illegal immigrants petrified @ the upcoming Employer Sanctions Law they are definitely clearing out of Arizona-------which will likely cause many areas to improve.
Unfortunately, I have heard they are waiting. Waiting to see if the sanctions are stopped before they even start. After the sanctions were announced to begin January 1st I heard many were planning to leave, but then the usual pro-illegal groups were fighting it and the illegals were deciding to wait and see. From what I have heard they are waiting until December (when many go home for the holidays) and then depending on the outcome, they may not return.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
Unfortunately, I have heard they are waiting. Waiting to see if the sanctions are stopped before they even start. After the sanctions were announced to begin January 1st I heard many were planning to leave, but then the usual pro-illegal groups were fighting it and the illegals were deciding to wait and see. From what I have heard they are waiting until December (when many go home for the holidays) and then depending on the outcome, they may not return.
I live on the edge of a (probably) illegal immigrant enclave and the neighborhood is definitely thinning out.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,329,063 times
So do you think the "ghettoization" of Phoenix is just a current phenomenon or do you see it as a trend that will continue far into the future? What areas that are decent areas today do you think will go downhill within the next 20 years?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
So do you think the "ghettoization" of Phoenix is just a current phenomenon or do you see it as a trend that will continue far into the future? What areas that are decent areas today do you think will go downhill within the next 20 years?
Truth? Many of the newer subdivisions built in the last 15 years.

I keep sensing that Gilbert will have severe ghetto problems.

Tempe will remain 'clean'-------too much money and political influence there.

I also have a bad feeling about Maricopa.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I live on the edge of a (probably) illegal immigrant enclave and the neighborhood is definitely thinning out.
Thank you Bear. That is so good to hear. I haven't seen that in my neck of the woods yet. I suspect there are a lot of illegal aliens in my area and so far they are staying put for the most part.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I agree with Arizona Bear. I also truly believe we will see an improvement in most areas after January 1st, if not before. As many of the people you were talking about before, return to their own country, or at least leave Arizona.

Old 10-21-2007, 04:50 PM

39,107 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
It's been a constant over the many years I have been here. "Entry level" neighborhoods go rental and then downhill. The Maryvale area was once middle class, clean, new and reasonably desirable. Slower income growth as the US workers are forced to compete globally and the retirement of boomers may slow or even halt neighborhood decline in the coming years, though. Also, older subdivisions rarely had functioning HOAs to help keep up the appearances of the homes while virutally all developments today have potentially effective HOAs.

I disagree with posters who say the neighborhoods will improve if the illegals leave after the employer sanctions law becomes effective. The illegals who leave will be the ones with jobs or those who want to work. The ones who stay will be the drug dealers, smugglers, and criminals who make their living outside the law.

As for the worst area, 15th Avenue and Buckeye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area