Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity... and because it's Friday... I'm curious what you think is the absolute worst, rock bottom, blighted, violent, poverty stricken area of Phoenix. And by bad, I mean bad! Be really specific if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just out of curiosity... and because it's Friday... I'm curious what you think is the absolute worst, rock bottom, blighted, violent, poverty stricken area of Phoenix. And by bad, I mean bad! Be really specific if you can.
I'd say the majority of the Maryvale area, between 35th and 83rd Avenues, from east to west, and between Thomas and Bethany Home Road north to south. You'll find some pockets of good neighborhoods in the area I outlined, but very few.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:44 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
I think the area south of downtown is pretty bad, pretty run down...many houses with chain link fences and broken down cars etc.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:47 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times
East Van Buren Street. When it comes to prostitution, drugs and just about any type of criminal activity, people in Phoenix know that East Van Buren St is the worst. It is one of the main streets running West/East cutting right through downtown Phoenix and the "near-downtown" sections are the worst. South Phoenix also is a bad area, especially along Central Avenue. Central Avenue is like Van Buren, but it runs North/South and it brings you right into downtown. Pretty bad areas along Central Ave especially the "near-downtown" areas. Then you have Maryvale, another tough neighborhood NW of downtown.To be honest, most of Phoenix proper is crap with very few exceptional areas.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,974,838 times
19th Ave to 35th Avenue on Broadway Road. Scary people, car wrecking yards and just a whole different population.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:02 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
40th st and Broadway.

Old 10-12-2007, 03:52 PM

94 posts, read 349,554 times
Go to the Phoenix Police Dept page and there you can analyze each beat area to find out the one with the worst crime. This is the only way to get a "true, accurate" portrayal. I taught in what seemed to be some pretty bad areas of Phoenix. Alot of what people perceive as bad areas is just perception because they are lower income areas and the peopel don't have the resources to keep up the neighborhoods.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

Tell the truth Vegas, you just want to go down and take a ride and see the sights You don't want to be riding in downtown Phoenix. My friend and I made a wrong turn one day looking for the hiring center for one of the airlines and it was a different world. I think it was around Lower Buckeye and 19th ave

Also South Chandler off of Pecos and around Arizona Ave area.....some scary stuff!!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,544 times
Worst place? Chandbert

It's a huge swath of the SE valley where every major road looks the same, has the same chain stores and all the houses look the same. I have lots of friends in the area and I have to use GPS because I get confused in the sameness. There's been several occassions where I've spent hours at a BBQ or pool party, only to discover I was at the wrong event.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:50 PM

49 posts, read 91,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Worst place? Chandbert

It's a huge swath of the SE valley where every major road looks the same, has the same chain stores and all the houses look the same. I have lots of friends in the area and I have to use GPS because I get confused in the sameness. There's been several occassions where I've spent hours at a BBQ or pool party, only to discover I was at the wrong event.
Are you retarded?

Anyways...

I think one of the worst parts is around sunnyslope, and espically around 7th st and Dunlap area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area