Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 02:47 PM

153 posts, read 317,834 times

Advertisements

Just signed up with cox here and bought my own modem as opposed to leasing theirs:
Amazon.com: Linksys DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (DPC3008-CC): Computers & Accessories

It's a very fast modem and I'm getting great speeds. Paid more for a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Anyway, I heard that Cox has a bandwidth cap of ~200GB. I can't find proof of this on their website. Can anyone confirm/deny this, and is anyone going over it without a problem? I typically use 500GB+ each month and I'm worried I'll get cut off. I don't want to have to switch to slow DSL, albeit with unlimited data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 05:43 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,505,688 times
I'm probably not going to be much help to you but I will try. I moved here in Sept and I have Cox. I believe I have what you have, becasuse I asked for the highest speed. I do have have some great speeds, but I have noticed some slow downs also. So I wondered like you was Cox cutting me off, because I have attained a certain cap. I was told they don't but that was from a neighbor. I really should call Cox themself and ask.

What I have really noticed since signing on with Cox is my laptop seems to act up. It started almost immediately. New tabs keep popping up. Sometimes continually. Or I get booted off the internet and have to sign on again. Probably has nothing to do with Cox, but it seemed strange that the problem started within a day of signing on with them. I didn't have this problem with Comcast back east.

I hope things will work well for you with Cox.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
I have the Premier account and have a 250GB monthly limit. Log into your account and go to the internet tab and there is a link to the "Data Usage Meter" that will show you what your limit is and how much you've used.

This may also help as it lists the data limits for each tier.

http://ww2.cox.com/aboutus/policies/speedsusage.cox

Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM

153 posts, read 317,834 times
Have you ever gone over, if so, what happens?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:13 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,527 times
From the website listed above:

"If you do exceed your allowance, Cox will attempt to notify you by one or more methods: email, phone, or message on your computer before action is taken. We will then work proactively with you to resolve the problem. In many cases, customers are not even aware of their usage because they have an unsecured Wi-Fi network used by others or a computer virus. Cox can work with you to ensure that these issues are identified and corrected. In other cases, customers may choose to reduce their usage or switch to another plan that provides a higher usage allowance as Cox has assigned a different usage allowances to each of its Internet packages. In rare cases of extremely high usage Cox will suspend the user's service until they call Cox. In even rarer cases, Cox will terminate a customer's service if they do not decrease their usage after consultation with Cox."

Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,218,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigDwiki View Post
Have you ever gone over, if so, what happens?
Went back and looked at my history and only exceeded my limit one month by about 40GB and never heard a word from Cox. Must have to do it more than once before they take action.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:53 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,826 times
They send you a letter if you go over, and that's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area