Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:19 PM

339 posts, read 933,156 times

Advertisements

This has probably been asked before, but can someone tell me why the prices at Sky Harbor are sky high? (pun intended).

Trying to plan a trip for mid March and I know Spring Training is in full swing at that time, but just glancing at the prices now, I got sticker shock. While I normally book the smallest cheapest car possible, I might be driving to California too so I want to go a little bigger car size for comfort but the cost is extremely high.

I guess I have to book off-site. Anyone have experience with the SuperShuttle at Sky Harbor?

Last edited by jf2737; 12-05-2012 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,383,171 times
The Super Shuttle is really good at sky harbor. The major reason the prices are so high is the new facility for car rentals. The fees are through the roof. So even though it initially looks like a good deal, once the taxes and fees are tacked on, it knocks you out. Try carrentals.com and rentalcars.com/us/city/us/phoenix

I just did a search on Phoenix (not Sky Harbor) and found a deal for the lowest level car at $200.00 total with tax and fees for March 15-22, 2013. That was at the rentalcars.com site. It might be worth it to take a shuttle to the car rental place offsite and rent that way. Do the math and see if you save anything. Sometimes your hotel has car rental services on property, and they may also have a hotel shuttle, depending on where you're staying. It does go through the roof during Spring Training. Come in the summer! Cheaper hotels and cars!

Old 12-06-2012, 12:20 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
As stated above the car rental rates are extremely high at the airport. High rents and improvements plus other fees are the reason.
Rent off site. Those off site rentals usually have airport pick up free shutles to take you to their off site office.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
You may be able to find coupons in the Entertainment book, if you or any of your friends have one handy. (Even a LI book will do, since those coupons are usually national.) If you belong to AAA, sometimes they offer discounts too.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
You may be able to find coupons in the Entertainment book, if you or any of your friends have one handy. (Even a LI book will do, since those coupons are usually national.) If you belong to AAA, sometimes they offer discounts too.
Ditto on the Entertainment book. I buy one just because I can save more than the cost of the book on one car rental, and the rest of the use is all savings. AAA does help, too.

Do rent offsite, there are locations all over that will save you money. During ST, it is going to be tougher to find a really good deal.

Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
I've poured 100 hours in on the topic to try and beat the system. Here is what I've learned:

1.) Do not assume the longer you stay, the more it is. I've had many situations where it is cheaper to rent the car more days than less days. So examine your rental car rate before you book your flight.You will especially see this situation when there is expensive rentals. For the record, this can happen with hotels as well. It literally could be cheaper to rent 5 days versus 3 days. Careful. With car rentals if you bring it back early, many rental companies will charge you more. You read this correctly. You can be charged more than the cost of that extra day you were planning to rent. What I do is go to a Travelocity like site and extend the dates on either side of the trip and watch things drop or go up. This will drastically change the most when rates are the most expensive. For that mater, I've observed rates change substantially simply be changing the check in and return times (in the same day). My last booking in Denver I saved $30 by keeping the car 4 more hours. Go figure.

2.) Priceline.com == a waste of time for me. I've tried it 20 times and there was no benifit.

3.) Going off site saves $$'s because it saves on the hyper inflated taxes. They especially give smoking deals on weekends (as low as $12 a day plus a much lower tax) but they normally always limit the mileage. When I book Hertz in Surprise, I get the best rate by calling that exact office. Many times the savings gets washed out once you factor in taking a shuttle to that area (hiring Super Shuttle etc). That's because offsite locations know they are still saving you money because of the difference in tax and don't go as low as they can. That's why I call the location directly in these situations. I've gotten better rates by politely leaning on them. It's a case-by-case situation.

4.) I WAS going to try this place (see Cheap car rentals at discount rates for the United States, USA, United Kingdom, UK, Europe, Australia - CarRental8.com ) Basically they negotiate better deals from the car rental sites and send you a certificate. But the reviews were basically positive (other than they don't tell you about the accurate taxes and standard airport surcharges). Additionally tripadvisors.com reviews looked suspicious because the posts were from brand new users. I called them, talked with a guy and everything sounded like it was real but I just got cold feet. A week later I was in Denver and saw a carrental8 voucher and asked the attendant about it. He verified it was "the real-deal". He said he gets them all the time. I will try them now that I saw a certificate with my very on eyes. I'd rather pay tripple the rate than get scammed even a little. It's a pride thing... Just stare at the savings before tax and use the same ratio to get the honest difference. You usually save about 25% on the rental car rate (so that means you save 25% after the taxes). Carrental8.com doesn't mark up the taxes. They just don't include all of the standard fees from the city and state.

5.) If it is expensive, I revisit rental rates several times before I leave. If you don't prepay like Expedia and use Travelocity.com, then you can re-book. I remember one time re-booking about 5 times and got cheaper and cheaper rates even an hour before I went on the plane at the airport. But this is the exception to the rule.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 AM

654 posts, read 1,495,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
This has probably been asked before, but can someone tell me why the prices at Sky Harbor are sky high? (pun intended).

Trying to plan a trip for mid March and I know Spring Training is in full swing at that time, but just glancing at the prices now, I got sticker shock. While I normally book the smallest cheapest car possible, I might be driving to California too so I want to go a little bigger car size for comfort but the cost is extremely high.

I guess I have to book off-site. Anyone have experience with the SuperShuttle at Sky Harbor?
Don't waste your time booking off site cab rides and hours of operation can cost you more.

You have to know how to play the game go to a multi rental site and check often. I rent from the airport all the time and have never paid more than 35 dollars a day for a "standard size car". And as little as 22 including all taxes. The prices fluctuate daily GREAtly! I have one booked in Feb for 17 days for 600 from PHX ..Enterprise.....but I'm not done yet and I will bet I will get it for closer to 500 all taxes in.

I use this site...if the mod deletes it PM me for the link.Car Rental Savers, car rental coupons and car rental discounts!

Remember check the prices often and keep rebooking...it's free to book..

I rented for 235 10 days...including all taxes at the end of October. I have 48 rental days from Enterprise PHX in the last 10 months.

Last edited by youthinkso; 12-06-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 08:02 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
I have frequently rented at Sky Harbor. The advice to check rates often is right on. Sometimes I have been able to lower my price by rebooking. As noted you typically do NOT pay in advance.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:45 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Was out in Scottsdale in September with a rental car through SkyHarbor....Rate was only $19.99 a day, unlimited mileage(midsize car).....Booked through hotwire....My advice is to check Hotwire...but check often.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:24 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,335 times
The Sky Train will be operational soon. Look for rental car places along the light rail and you can save money instead of taking the super shuttle. Off the top of my head I know of an Enterprise on Central in mid-town that is directly off the light rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area