U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:13 AM

17,848 posts, read 40,254,161 times

Advertisements

I would not do ANYTHING until you actually see the water and power bills. I don't know what city you are in, if you are not in Phoenix that high quarterly sewer charge may not happen. I would, perhaps, have a discussion with the landlord about this not being discussed with you beforehand, depending on what your lease says about his access to the property. Normally, there are limits on access without notice. This is NOT something that needs to involve "filing it [with] the state" ???? or involving the police if it happens again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM

6,033 posts, read 7,270,083 times
Observer is right. The right of quiet enjoyment is a covenant that occurs in any lease, whether its spelled out or not, but if the landlord violates it your remedies are limited to things like withholding rent or terminating the lease and you'd need to consult with an attorney to enforce them, not the police. Calling the police would only be appropriate if he was causing a disturbance, threatening you, etc.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,013,255 times
Just have a friendly discussion with your landlord. Much will depend on who is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the pool, as stated in the rental agreement.

The landlord should not come on the property without proper notice, except in an emergency situation. That was a mistake, and you can ask him to remember to give you notice the next time.

However, there may be a very good reason why the water needed to be changed, and the landlord is probably showing responsibility by doing it. I doubt if he just arbitrarily decided to change water for no reason.

So rather than have this thing blown completely out of proportion on an internet forum, talk to your landlord to find out what's happening, and why, and then come to an understanding with him.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Just have a friendly discussion with your landlord. Much will depend on who is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the pool, as stated in the rental agreement.

The landlord should not come on the property without proper notice, except in an emergency situation. That was a mistake, and you can ask him to remember to give you notice the next time.

However, there may be a very good reason why the water needed to be changed, and the landlord is probably showing responsibility by doing it. I doubt if he just arbitrarily decided to change water for no reason.

So rather than have this thing blown completely out of proportion on an internet forum, talk to your landlord to find out what's happening, and why, and then come to an understanding with him.
It wasn't just " changing the water", it was cosmetic work to the pool that required draining. Either way, no emergency. Agree with your advice.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 PM

4,866 posts, read 10,261,004 times
I don't understand the answers above that indicate it may be your responsibility. The maintenance costs associated with a rental are never the responsibility of the tenant. I would speak to him immediately and inform him that he needs to agree to pay for the water and electricity use before he can use YOUR water.

If you allow him to use YOUR water then the water company will hold you accountable, however, the costs of renovating the pool isn't your responsibility under any circumstance.

This is renovations not maintenance so who is responsible for normal pool maintenance (cleaning, adding chemicals, etc) is irrelevant.

It cost me $100 to refill my pool after some recent work. As has been mentioned, refilling your pool this time of year could have a year long impact on your sewer rates depending on your municipality.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:55 PM

391 posts, read 740,204 times
Just mention it to your landlord. If your're a good tenant, I wouldnt lose you for $100. It would cost more than that to flip the property plus the inconvienence of showing it, listiting it, etc etc. He might just say he'll split it or whatever.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM

8,633 posts, read 14,795,919 times
Thanks for all the advice. I have a very good relationship with my landlord and don't want to blow it over something relatively minor. It is the landlord's responsibility to provide pool maintenance and the work started on the day that I normally have my weekly pool service. That may be why he didn't think to give me a heads up. I checked on APS's site and the electricity usage was negligible. I am still concerned with the water bill but it probably won't be too bad. I'll have to check into the ongoing sewer usage implication that many have mentioned. I'm in Scottsdale so I wonder if that's only a Phoenix proper issue. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I have a very good relationship with my landlord and don't want to blow it over something relatively minor. It is the landlord's responsibility to provide pool maintenance and the work started on the day that I normally have my weekly pool service. That may be why he didn't think to give me a heads up. I checked on APS's site and the electricity usage was negligible. I am still concerned with the water bill but it probably won't be too bad. I'll have to check into the ongoing sewer usage implication that many have mentioned. I'm in Scottsdale so I wonder if that's only a Phoenix proper issue. Thanks again for the advice.

Call the city water department and ask about the sewer bill question, they can tell you what their policy is. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area