U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:39 PM

42 posts, read 159,762 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

Just wondered what method you used to relocate your entire household. Specifically long distance moving. We're coming from Indiana. We need to move ourselves, 3 pets, 4 small kids, 2 cars and all the junk we've accumulated over the last 15 years.

We're anticipating a job offer with a fixed amount for relocation. Whatever we don't use we can keep, so we're hoping to find the cheapest, yet easiest and most effective way possible!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,280,059 times
I did it the old fashioned way. I BOUGHT a moving van, loaded it myself, moved 3 families from Oregon to Mesa and while I was looking for a house, I was able to leave all my stuff in the truck so I didn't to unload it twice and I didn't have to pay for storage. Once I got a house, I moved the stuff out of the truck AT MY LEISURE and then sold the truck for a tidy profit which paid for the trip, the truck, insurance, fuel and motels. My move was essentially free but it was a good amount of work. If I were to do it again, I would probably hire some neighborhood kids to unload the truck. I was unloading the truck in the middle of July. Not the most comfortable time to be unloading. HA!
That's the way I did it and it worked for me but it's not for everybody. It sure saved me a ton of money though and it was quite an adventure.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM

4,313 posts, read 10,272,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I did it the old fashioned way. I BOUGHT a moving van, loaded it myself, moved 3 families from Oregon to Mesa and while I was looking for a house, I was able to leave all my stuff in the truck so I didn't to unload it twice and I didn't have to pay for storage. Once I got a house, I moved the stuff out of the truck AT MY LEISURE and then sold the truck for a tidy profit which paid for the trip, the truck, insurance, fuel and motels. My move was essentially free but it was a good amount of work. If I were to do it again, I would probably hire some neighborhood kids to unload the truck. I was unloading the truck in the middle of July. Not the most comfortable time to be unloading. HA!
That's the way I did it and it worked for me but it's not for everybody. It sure saved me a ton of money though and it was quite an adventure.
You idea sounds good but a friend's son moved to Gilbert using a rented truck (like UHaul) and when he got to his new home it was late so they decided to unload in the am. Someone must have been watching as they stole the truck and his entire contents during the night. What an awful experience for him. They only brought the things that really mattered to them.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM

6,017 posts, read 7,169,667 times
We moved out from PA about 7 months ago. After lots of research, we decided to use UBF U-Pack. They deliver a trailer (we needed 2!) to your old house, you load it, then they pick it up and deliver it to your new place. Delivery time from PA to AZ was about 5 days. Then we drove ourselves out here. That was by far the least expensive way we could find. UBF was great to work with, but be aware that their trucks are not designed for moving household goods, so the ride is rough and dirty. You must wrap EVERYTHING that is not in boxes very well, much more than you would for a moving van. Buy lots of moving blankets, then sell them on Craigslist after you get here. Harbor Freight is a good resource for this if you have one close by. Don't rent them from U-Haul, it will cost a fortune. Do rent one or two hand trucks at both ends, the kind with the straps. Home Depot is good for this. Also wrap your furniture in plastic shrink wrap before the moving blankets to keep it clean. Hire experienced helpers to load and pack (this is critical) the trailers, this will both maximize space (you pay by the linear foot of trailer space used) and minimize damage. Also hire help to unload. You can find help at movinghelp.com. Read the reviews. UBF will hold the trailer(s) for you for a few days if you take longer to get here than they do. They also can't guarantee a specific delivery time of day so we scheduled the delivery and then scheduled the helpers for the next day so we wouldn't have hourly laborers sitting around waiting for a truck to arrive. Also, when you call UBF, ask for a better price. They are very very negotiable. Unfortunately I didn't know how rough the ride would be and we did have some damaged furniture, but that was my fault not UBF's. They were fantastic start to finish.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:43 PM

6,675 posts, read 10,646,081 times
Same here. Used Ubf UPack and didn't know how rough the ride would be. Some stuff broke but not alot. My daughter and I shared a half truck. Hired help to pack and unpack it. UPack was terrific and I will use them again. We drove our 2 cars out here to an apt. we had rented ahead of time, and it included a storage room. The two cats came with us in our cars. Stayed in motels along the way. It worked pretty well but we didn't have much furniture. Good luck to you.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:04 PM

8,498 posts, read 14,560,158 times
We had a moving company take our belongings for us, shipped the cars and rented an RV for the ride out. We figured it would be easier with our two dogs, rather than being cooped up in a car for three days and having to find pet-friendly hotels (or sneaking them in) and it worked out great. There's something about being able to lie down on a bed while the other person drives that makes the hours fly by!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:04 PM

56 posts, read 151,742 times
We also used UBF-U-Pack. We hired professional help on the loading end..so we were lucky..no damage but a small dent on the top of the dryer (tossed in something last minute ) We had arranged for hired help to off-load..but when my husband and son opened up the trailer when it arrived, some neighbors came right out and offered to help off-load..so we were able to cancel the hired help scheduled for the next day! Gotta love Anthem!

Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM

42 posts, read 159,762 times
Wow, sounds like UBF U-pack is the way to go! We definitely are DIY type people, so we'll check this option out.

@Detroit- the RV is a great idea! Probably not the best way to save cash, but I think it's a very comfy and convenient way to haul my family across the country.

@maverick- hmmm, you BOUGHT a moving van? haha! Sounds like you really live up to your handle! What an awesome way to be resourceful.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM

1,519 posts, read 3,280,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelhuck View Post
Wow, sounds like UBF U-pack is the way to go! We definitely are DIY type people, so we'll check this option out.

@Detroit- the RV is a great idea! Probably not the best way to save cash, but I think it's a very comfy and convenient way to haul my family across the country.

@maverick- hmmm, you BOUGHT a moving van? haha! Sounds like you really live up to your handle! What an awesome way to be resourceful.
I'd like to take credit for that but it kind of fell in my lap. A friend of mine in Oregon owns a small RV repair/dealership that was also a U-Haul place. After checking out what U-Haul would cost me and the fact that they only allowed 5 days for the move including loading and unloading, I decided to go a different route. My friends dealership happen to have a consignment vehicle that was an old box van that was initially owned by the state of Oregon. It was then sold to a farm and it was stored in a barn for about 15 years so it didn't see a lot of use. It looked good, drove well and it already had a full tank of diesel so I took a chance and bought it. Luckily, nothing went wrong on the way down. It ran like a champ although it wouldn't do over 55 so it was a long drive. Specially when I had another car and driver following me down.
Anyway, it worked out well for me and it was a fun trip although it was kind of hot. This moving van had no A/C and I drove down in June of 2011.
I got here. That's what matters most.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 AM

16 posts, read 85,040 times
Haven't actually moved yet, but the plan is to rent a truck and load/unload ourselves. My inlaws offered to help us drive out (so they can visit the AZ grandkids they don't see often) then fly back. I want to get rid of a lot of stuff before we move, too,andonly bring the things that matter (and remember to NOT leave the truck loaded overnight!). We'll be coming from N Indiana, long drive but with 4 drivers it should go smoothly. So my husband and his stepdad can drive the moving truck and the kids and I and my mil can go in the car. Sounds good on paper, anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area