Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM

6 posts, read 8,359 times

Advertisements

Hello, I wanted to kick this off by saying thank you to all who post regularly and help people like myself relocating to Phoenix.

My wife, baby, and I are moving to PHX March 1 and are trying to find housing options to lease. We want a 3BR, 2B+ house with a pool, and in a nice area with walkable space and hopefully greenbelts. We have concentrated our search in South Scottsdale, McCormick Ranch and even a bit into northern Scottsdale.

The problem is I absolutely hate traffic (my office is at 32nd and East Camelback) and want to be 15 minutes to home since I have a newborn. All the nicest properties we are finding are in Northern Scottsdale, north of Shea Blvd. This I fear will be a long commute which is letting the wind out of my sails.

My question is, *IS* the commute from N. Scottsdale down the 51 (or side streets) to the Biltmore area in typical traffic over 20 minutes? Is it gridlocked or at least moving?

Also, are there nice neighborhoods closer to the Camelback East area similar in character as Scottsdale?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 12:15 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,392 times
51 is generally gridlocked southbound in the morning, and northbound in the evenings -- so (assuming you would be commuting at regular work hours), you'd be in a good amount of traffic. Someone more familiar with PV / Scottsdale could answer better, but here's my $0.02...

The Biltmore area always seems a bit difficult to get to during rush hour in the mornings. From the north, 51 is backed up (usually till about Northern Ave). Meanwhile, the 202 / I-10 junction just south of there has traffic from both East and West Valley converging. The 202 is choked back to the 143, and I-10 is usually a parking lot from the tunnel to Broadway curve, in either direction. Camelback Rd, while a surface street, seems to be one of the major cut-throughs between Scottsdale and Phoenix, and likewise gets backed up. So, your best bet is probably going to be a surface street commute. While the area north of Shea is nice, have you looked around Double Tree, or just north of Downtown Scottsdale? Lincoln Dr or Tatum Blvd might work for your commute.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times
Arcadia is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Phoenix. You can reach the Biltmore area from there on surface streets. No need to get on any freeway. Arcadia is mostly single family homes but there are some townhouses and nice condos. Schools are good and all the amenities are at hand. No doubt some of the houses are for rent.

This listing is an example of what I think of as the quintessential Arcadia home (not new, but very well kept and updated), but there's a lot of variety in the neighborhood — everything from a $7 million mansion to an $80,000 2-bedroom townhouse:
Search for Your Home

Also, do a search for Arcadia on City-Data Phoenix. There have been several discussions recently.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:29 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,071,637 times
why do you have to be in Scottsdale??....

if you're working at 32nd St and Camelback (an excellent area of Phx), you can find a fantastic place anywhere around there...and WALK to work!...a canal goes thru the area which is very popular for walking/jogging/biking....

no brainer!!!

(I hope you're not saying Scottsdale just because of the prestige thing)

Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM

No, not the prestige thing, but want to make sure we're in a safe area. I want a place with zero crime and I've heard mixed reviews of the neighborhoods (and seen in person) those nearby my work. To be honest, the Camelback area didn't feel very 'neighborhoody' to me but rather a suburban sprawl with little character (I have been around the area since I go out to PHX from San Diego for work very frequently).

Maybe I just need to get acclimated to the areas a little better to gain a broader understanding of the market. I will tell you the initial desire to be in McCormick was based on personal statements from residents at my work and of the enormity of the greenbelts there, which we love.

Thank you to all that have responded!!!

-Eli

Old 01-20-2013, 08:53 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,392 times
The "McCormick" area is basically what I was referring to when I said "just north of Downtown Scottsdale". In that area, you're very close to the shops, restaurants, and bars in downtown Scottsdale. There's a large green belt area that curves just east of DT Scottsdale, starting around Tempe Town Lake, and going (intermittently) to Cactus Rd. Several parks, quiet walking trails, etc. There's several different surface streets (McDowell, Lincoln) that you could try using to get to work. As well, that area is close to the 101, should you ever have to get to the airport (101 to 202), Tempe Marketplace (straight down the 101), or really anywhere else in the Valley.

I'll wait for a Scottsdale native to give better feedback on the traffic conditions on surface streets headed your direction, but it seems like it checks all your boxes.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM

Really appreciate all the input - thank you!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,331,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbrock View Post
... I want a place with zero crime ...
Sorry, no such thing. And not just in Phoenix.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:48 PM

606 posts, read 1,607,211 times
What about the area (sorry, idk what this neighborhood is called) just north of Camelback on 24th St. That is a beautiful area, very nice homes, many with big yards, very low crime and extremely close to your work! You should check that area out.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Sorry, no such thing. And not just in Phoenix.
It was a bit of an exaggeration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
What about the area (sorry, idk what this neighborhood is called) just north of Camelback on 24th St. That is a beautiful area, very nice homes, many with big yards, very low crime and extremely close to your work! You should check that area out.
Biltmore. We looked but there is not much available there.

Last edited by Count David; 01-22-2013 at 09:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area