Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a nursing home in Scottsdale? Prefer to be close to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn. Our only other option is full time nursing care at home and the cost would be prohibitive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 05:43 PM

No one has a loved one in a nursing home in Scottsdale to recommend? Was hoping for some feedback. Bump!

Old 01-23-2013, 06:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
Well, you didn't provide many details for this question and it isn't really easy to recommend nursing homes, anywhere, unless more info is available.

First I would say ask the social worker at Scottsdale Osborn hospital for their help. That's their job. Is this a Medicare patient in hospital now? That puts a whole different perspective on this question. If so, they are the ones who provide discharge planning and can recommend some places for you to visit. Is this for a short term rehab stay? Or are you looking to place a loved one into assisted living/nursing care permanently? Home care is much cheaper usually so I don't really know what you have looked into. Does it have to be full time or is part time care enough? Where does the person live now?

You see there are so many variables and things to consider. Probably the reason why no one has responded to your question. As well as the fact that what might be right for one patient could be entirely wrong for another. Good luck.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:53 PM

537 posts, read 1,545,618 times
We have no idea what level of care the patient needs. There are some very nice group homes and some really bad ones. My mother lived a home with eight or nine other residents near 64th. St. and Bell. It was a lovely big home in a very upscale neighborhood run by a Romanian family. They have two houses there. The family was so loving and kept her happy. We were so lucky a good friend recommended the place. The cost was around $2500/month. She had her own bedroom and the bathroom was in the hall. The doctor came to the house and they had mobile x-ray equipment if needed. She eventually fell and broke a hip and died at 94. Keeping someone at home is very expensive and a threat to your sanity. The Beatitudes on west Glendale Ave. gets very high marks for care.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Hi - I believe Pueblo Norte is near Scottsdale Osborn. My friend just checked into that facility and both she and her family love it. Another option for you is to call the Arizona ALFA organization - That's the Assisted Living Federation of America. They have a very active and wonderful membership here in AZ. 2345 E Thomas Rd., Suite 290 Phoenix AZ 85016 (602) 322-0100

Since everyone's needs are different, it might be good to just call them and chat. It won't cost you anything and they can recommend a number of facilities that will meet your financial needs as well as the needs of the person who will be staying there.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 AM

Thank you all for your feedback and recommendations. Sorry, I'm new at this.... (being on C-D forum AND needing a nursing home for Dad!)

Dad is out of the hospital and now in a rehab nursing home. I think medicare caps at 3 or 4 weeks before they kick him out, so he's got another 3 weeks, max. He wouldn't be suitable for assisted living as he needs help with everything. (toileting, feeding, bathing, etc)

We checked into full-time nursing care at home. That would be about $8K per month.

Mom is still at home in South Scottsdale area, that's why I'd like the nursing home to be close to SHC-Obsorn. Their doctors are all nearby as well.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:35 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
As an lpn who has worked in several nursing homes, i'd ask some fairly pointed questions about staffing levels. There is no legal "cap" in Arizona to determine how many cna's or nurses to patients, and some less-scrupulous homes push those staffing levels *way* down to enhance their profits.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:20 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
An assisted living home in AZ, and there are many, are homes where there are only a few residents, like 3-6. The care is provided full time, the residents live in the home which is a private residence just like anyother in the neighborhood. Much of the care is given by certifed aides and some of it is Medicare paid for (hospital bed, walker, diapers, meds, etc etc). You should look into this. Its a much more homelike atmosphere and residents eat meals together, have some things to do( if they can) and visiting is 24/7 by family. I found a home for my Mom thru "A Place for Mom". If you google it, you will see how much they can help you. It runs about $2500 a month, alot cheaper than a nursing home.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,029,527 times
Here is a link to some very helpful information including a checklist of things to look for in a nursing facility:

http://www.azdhs.gov/als/ltc/nhconsgde.pdf

If not for the fact that you are looking for a location in Scottsdale, I would strongly recommend The Beatitudes as well. My mother-in-law is there right now. She is 92 and they take good care of her.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:02 AM

942 posts, read 2,520,537 times
Nursing homes, assisted livings, and group homes can be tricky. First, you might ask yourself what the payor source is? Private pay or ALTCS? That could limit your choices. I would make an unofficial tour and look for indications of the quality of care. Do you smell urine? Are residents just sitting in the hallways in wheelchairs? As a hospice nurse, I visit numerous facilities but, unfortunately, none in Scottsdale. Probably the best care I have seen was a group home in Surprise with only 4 beds. The owner treated the residents like family. I was very impressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area