Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM

33 posts, read 68,885 times

Advertisements

Hi all, we're a mid-thirties gay couple (males) that have relocated from Chi-town about a year ago. We're now ready to buy in the valley and are considering Fountain Hills. We really have no desire to be in a gay-enclave nor do we need special treatment. We just want what everyone else does; to be treated with respect and to be able to enjoy our home. I realize that Gilbert and Mesa are seen as the more religious/conservative areas, but how does Fountain Hills fit in?

We really like the area as it's beautiful and has a small town feel without being too far removed, but don't want to ruffle any feathers and be treated differently. We both work from home so commute time isn't a consideration. We've found that our money goes further than in Scottsdale where we currently are and also like FH for that reason. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 AM

36 posts, read 72,585 times
I'm a straight male Democrat and I feel like an outcast in this town. :-)

All joking aside, You will not be run out of town. But I am not sure that you would ever feel completely accepted either. I guess that it would depend on how thick your skin is. Fountain Hills is VERY conservative with a large elderly population.

I can tell you that in all of the years that I have lived here in town, I have met only one openly gay couple. They ended up moving to another state.

There are very few people in your age range living here that are not married with children. Gay or not, In your age range I think that you would be happier living in Scottsdale. Just my opinion. I wouldn't live here if I was in my 30's.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaz View Post
I'm a straight male Democrat and I feel like an outcast in this town. :-)

All joking aside, You will not be run out of town. But I am not sure that you would ever feel completely accepted either. I guess that it would depend on how thick your skin is. Fountain Hills is VERY conservative with a large elderly population.

I can tell you that in all of the years that I have lived here in town, I have met only one openly gay couple. They ended up moving to another state.

There are very few people in your age range living here that are not married with children. Gay or not, In your age range I think that you would be happier living in Scottsdale. Just my opinion. I wouldn't live here if I was in my 30's.

Hope this helps.
That's the type of insight I'm looking for, thank you! I realize it's an older demographic but didn't realize it leaned so conservatively. It's such a beautiful area but you've given me some serious food for thought. Thanks again.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:08 AM

I think that you will find that the Phoenix area in general leans very conservatively. Especially compared to Chicagoland.
I can honestly tell you that I have lived here for over ten years and have met at least 150 people in this area. I can count on one hand the ones that were not conservative. Most being VERY conservative.

I personally can care less about politics and I avoid the topic like the plague. You will make more friends that way.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,695,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExChicagoan View Post
That's the type of insight I'm looking for, thank you! I realize it's an older demographic but didn't realize it leaned so conservatively. It's such a beautiful area but you've given me some serious food for thought. Thanks again.
The more expensive the area, the more conservative it leans. The golden triangle of the Valley- Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and Fountain Hills- are all VERY conservative even by Arizona standards. Scottsdale could be the most liberal simply by the math of having a vast and diverse population, but it's still much more conservative than say...Tempe.

Honestly though...I don't think you're going to encounter any blatant prejudice simply because you're gay. I find most people are fairly accepting of the LGBT community as long as you aren't outwardly...showing displays of affection in public which could make others feel uncomfortable.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminaz View Post
I think that you will find that the Phoenix area in general leans very conservatively. Especially compared to Chicagoland.
I can honestly tell you that I have lived here for over ten years and have met at least 150 people in this area. I can count on one hand the ones that were not conservative. Most being VERY conservative.

I personally can care less about politics and I avoid the topic like the plague. You will make more friends that way.
I realize AZ is a red state and that doesn't scare me too much. Politics are politics. I'm more concerned with the ultra-religious and their prejudices. If FH is just a bunch of republicans, that's fine, however, if by conservative you mean close-minded, then I'll have to look elsewhere.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Honestly though...I don't think you're going to encounter any blatant prejudice simply because you're gay. I find most people are fairly accepting of the LGBT community as long as you aren't outwardly...showing displays of affection in public which could make others feel uncomfortable.
I'm not the PDA type because that simply makes me uncomfortable, but I really hate that double standard. It is what it is, but it bothers me because that always seems to come up.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 AM

606 posts, read 1,605,795 times
Tempe is the most liberal city in the valley by far, and a great place to live on top of that.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Tempe is the most liberal city in the valley by far, and a great place to live on top of that.
I'm sure up by the school but do you think that holds true as you get further south and east and closer to Mesa, Chandler and Gilbert?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:40 AM

I do mean close minded. Maybe not so much with the younger crowd but definitely with the older generation.
I'm sorry but the concept of anyone being gay simply freaks most of those folks out. It's an older generation thing.

And I know a lot of older folks in this community.

I agree with SpeedyAZ. You will not encounter blatant prejudice. Just talk behind your back. And to me...prejudice is prejudice.......

Just my two cents. Why not rent for awhile and see what you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area