U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 PM

65 posts, read 191,217 times

Advertisements

Going out west in May to ck out AZ, NM, CO and UT. Semi retired young couple with no children. We are really liking Gilbert (husband has been there) I am liking the Gold Canyon area & San Tan valley. Seems you can get much more bang for your buck. Looking at 3bed,2bath 2 car garage with landscaped private backyard and private pool, up to $175,000. So Gold Canyon and San tan residents tell me what it is you like about the areas you live in. and always the downside... We are moving from the Poconos of PA, yes we realize it will be much much warmer. I hear traffic is a ***** from the east valley to PHoneix, I would be working and making the commute. Had lived in NJ and had the "infamous" commute so I understand... Really looking to hear all advise... I find i cant get unbiased opinions from realtors, they just want to make a commission... Thanks for all your input..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:50 PM

33 posts, read 61,903 times
You want to live in San Tan Valley but will be working in central PHX?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:14 PM

131 posts, read 323,532 times
San Tan Valley to Central Phoenix would not be fun at all.. I use to live about 10 miles away and worked in Scottsdale and that was a 45 minute drive in rush hour on a good day.. But if you dont mind the commute then good on you.. It has been a year or so since I have been out that way but there isnt a whole lot to do out that way either.. you have to drive a good distance to get to the mall or movies or dining..

Old 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM

39 posts, read 67,203 times
Thumbs up San Tan Valley

I live in San Tan Valley and am also semi-retired. I'm a field service tech and travel to all areas of the valley for my work. I can tell you that it's a 45 minute to an hour commute minimum to get pretty much anywhere even in off hours. I arrange my schedule so I don't travel during the morning commute. Time driving back home depends on where I am, what time I'm leaving the job and whether or not there are any accidents. Much the same as what you are used to. I used to commute from Baltimore to work just off exit 3 of the NJ Turnpike so I can relate. (yes, many thought I was crazy but it allowed me to keep my job!)

That said, I really like the area I live in, Copper Basin. It's very quiet, low crime, good neighbors and is a great family neighborhood. Neither I nor any of my neighbors has had any problems with our HOA and they do a good job of keeping up the parks and public areas.

While the number of available houses isn't nearly what it was even a year ago there are still many good deals to be had especially considering your budget.

If you don't mind driving then San Tan Valley would be somewhere to consider. I did.

Message me if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Jerry

Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM

992 posts, read 2,717,449 times
I would pick Gold Canyon out of the two only because it's conveniently located near the US60 making the commute to Phoenix a little easier. San Tan Valley is off the beaten path and you have to drive forever on arterial streets until you reach the freeway. In all seriousness though the commute from either place to Phoenix is not going to be enjoyable and it will get old VERY fast. You're easily looking at an hour/hour 1/2 each way depending on how bad traffic is and you better hope there isn't an accident on the freeway(which is a common occurence). You didn't mention what part of Phoenix you will be commuting to but keep in mind the city of Phoenix alone is 500 sq miles. It's a give and take thing....if you don't mind a long commute to live in a somewhat more rural and affordable area then the two places are great options and I hope you enjoy where ever you end up.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:42 PM

79 posts, read 326,172 times
We relocated to San Tan Valley last summer, from out of state. I work in Gilbert (Val Vista and 202), and my commute is 30 minutes each way. I live near Gary and Empire. It doesn't matter if I'm working a 7-6 shift or an 8-5 shift, it's 30 minutes... give or take 2-3 minutes. The traffic isn't bad, IMO, most days.

We have a Fry's and Walmart close by, and a handful of restaurants... some of which are pretty darn good!

The thing we don't like is the 30-45 minute drive to "civilization" if you want to go to a nice restaurant, or store that isn't local. Other than that, we're pretty darn happy in San Tan!

Old 02-04-2013, 09:28 AM

41 posts, read 64,763 times
We just moved out to San Tan Valley from Wisconsin. Had a fantastic realtor from out here and she really explained and helped us get to know the different neighborhoods. We settled near Gantzel and Combs and love, love, love it here! Driving can stink, but where we used to live we had to drive 25 minutes just to find a grocery store so this is awesome here.

Never been to Gold Canyon except driving through so I can't help you there.

There are still some deals, but prices have been steadily rising. If you have any questions or need the name of a good realtor, feel free to pm me.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:16 PM

Smile Thanks for the input on SanTan and Gold Creek

I am not sure where in Phoenix I will be working, so it seems like a drive into Manhattan..I can handle that, especially with no snow.. What about Gilbert and closeness of Supermarkets, stores etc. can't wait to get out there in May and check it out. Mu husband has been in the IT business and I am a bookkeeper. From looking at Careerbulder, etc, looks like there are some jobs out there, guess its like everywhere else. Also are there any communities that have the pueblo style homes for sale... I can only find mansions in Scottsdale or Sedona..budget is $175,000

Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Paul were you ever worried about being close to the border, especially since coming from Wisconsin. All we here on NY news is the gangs, and drug runners, etc.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Buckeye thanks so much for the input... I did hear that they are having problems in Gold Canyon because of short sales and foreclosures, so the HOA fees are go ing up to cover these empty houses. We moved into a community here in PA and had a fee of $1285 5 yrs ago now we are at $1545...plus taxes of $4800...umm this is crazy... Keep me posted I soo appreciate the input.. Thanks Arizonians!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area