Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 AM

84 posts, read 141,555 times

Advertisements

Despite the talk of decreased supply of houses in the Valley, I've noticed an increased number of listings for Encanto homes in the MLS lately. And it looks like prices have been going up in a sure and steady way that suggests (to ignorant me) that it's time to buy in. (Or do some people think the prices are going precipitously up?)

We've been driving through the neighborhood to get a feel for the area, and we've noticed a huge difference in the feel of streets (e.g., greenery, shade, sidewalks, well-tended yards) from streets to street. From our cursory glances, it seems like W Lewis seems dingier than others, the Palmcroft loops to be amazingly serene (despite that horrific tale here on city-data about the woman coming home from the salon appointment via an alley), W Lynwood and W Vernon to vary according to how far west it is, etc. W Willetta, W Culver, and W Edgemont are ones I'm having a hard time figuring out.

Considering East to West - Between 3rd and 5th Aves seems pretty darn quiet. Even some areas between 5th and 7th Ave seem quiet, but less so than between 3rd and 5th. 11th to 15th Aves (south of the Park/Lagoon) seem fairly well upkept. If you're between 3rd and 5th, you've got fairly easy access to the Central Corridor (walking anyway), but if you're between 11th and 15th, you've got the Parks to enjoy (and maybe to muffle out noise).

But the further West you go, the closer you are to the Ag Arena. I would think that would bring lots of people into the neighborhood during the fair weeks...? To the east, you've got St. Joseph's Hospital. I don't think living near a hospital would be too terrible, although I always wonder about going into the Starbucks near the hospital (beside the Good Egg); I always fear that it's going to be as microbial as the hospital.....

Considering North to South - I think I'd rather be more near McDowell than near Thomas. Thomas seems more industrial and loud, whereas McDowell seems to have more restaurants/cafes/general consumer stores. Palm Lane is so gorgeous, but I wonder if you'd get more through traffic there because Palm goes straight from 1st to 17th Ave without interruption.

Anyway, I'm just looking for any general observations that you may have regarding which parts of Encanto you would (or wouldn't) move to. The topic of crime in Encanto has been addressed by the forum before, of course; here I just mean general quality of life. And if I've said something totally wrong, feel free to correct!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 02:24 PM

181 posts, read 439,358 times
I wouldn't make any assumptions about the golf course being there forever. Have you looked at the satellite photos? I was shopping for cheapies in the Coronado, and you really have to take it house by house. I wound up buying in Longview, which offers a lot of value in that it is NOT historically restricted (with some exceptions for houses over 100), and the post WWII builds give you a slab, as opposed to a termite prone crawl space.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,790 times
My dad has a friend who lives in that area and it really is ok and nice for the most part. The only thing I don't like about that area is that it's too close to some rowdy areas and you do see some interesting characters walking the neighborhoods. Home invasion attempts and petty property crimes will more than likely happen to you at least once. Other than that it's ok but I would look farther east and a little north if an older home in an established neighborhood is what you are seeking. Areas east of 7th Ave and north of Indian School have some very nice older homes and the neighborhoods are more well kept IMO of course.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Home invasion attempts and petty property crimes will more than likely happen to you at least once.
...Really? Are you serious right now?

Encanto is about as quiet as it gets. To say that it WILL happen to you at least once is total garbage. I know a number of people who have lived in that area their whole lives and not once have they been "invaded" or had anything stolen.

The things that pass for information around here.. geez.

To the OP; Central to 7th is considered Willo, not Encanto. And yes, if locating in this area, I would try to get as close to Central as possible, as that will be the most walkable. I wouldn't buy anything west of 15th.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 PM

@Bluegrey - thanks for the tip about Longview and the crawl spaces. Yikes about the bugs!

@BuckeyeBoyDJ - I will look in the area you suggest; I think I had disregarded it because of my commute, but the reality is that it wouldn't add more than 5 minutes to my commute, right? I'm not sure about how I care about "interesting characters." For myself and my husband, the occasional (unarmed) burglary or car break-in wouldn't deter me, but as we start to think about kids, I start to worry!

@CodyW - thanks, I'm still trying to get the vocab down! Close to Central is something I have been thinking about…it just amazes me how quiet it is between 3rd and 5th Aves. You just couldn't expect that from another city.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 PM

606 posts, read 1,605,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
...Really? Are you serious right now?

Encanto is about as quiet as it gets. To say that it WILL happen to you at least once is total garbage. I know a number of people who have lived in that area their whole lives and not once have they been "invaded" or had anything stolen.

The things that pass for information around here.. geez.
I was thinking something along those same lines...Encanto is a very nice neighborhood and I really don't think you will become a crime victim unless you somehow involve directly involve yourself with the criminal element. Obviously the OP is not going to do that, so there is nothing to worry about.

Furthermore, I have lived in many truly bad neighborhoods both here and out of state, and have never been the victim of a crime. It all has to do with how you conduct yourself, but honestly, any advice regarding this subject is wasted in this thread, because Encanto is not a bad neighborhood.

Bottom line, Encanto is a very nice neighborhood, and you have absolutely nothing to fear purchasing a home and living there with your family.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,977,790 times
Uh don't get cyber slapped Mr. CodyW I was just giving my 2 cents. Yes Encanto is very nice I was not denying that all. I'm not very knowledgeable about that neighborhood and I probably should have just kept to myself. My apologies...

Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM

We've looked at the crime stats maps of Phoenix, and the thing is -- Encanto has way less crime than the neighborhood I now live in!

Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
To be specific about what is "Encanto": Most of the area that you describe is part of the Encanto Village. The City is divided into urban villages for planning purposes and the Encanto Village is bounded by McDowell on the south, I-17 on the west, and the Grand Canal to the North and East. The map is here: http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int..._pdf_00091.pdf

What most people refer to as Encanto tends to be the Encanto-Palmcroft Historic District which includes the residential areas south of Encanto, north of McDowell, between 7th and 15th Avenues, as well as part of the park itself. The area north of Encanto, between the park and 7th Ave. is the Encanto Vista Historic District and the area north of the park between 7th and 15th Avenues facing Thomas Road is the Encanto Manor Historic District. There is also an area northwest of 15th Ave. and Thomas called the North Encanto Historic District. The Willo Historic District is between 1st and 7th Avenues, between Thomas and McDowell. This is a map that shows these and other historic districts: http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int..._pdf_00004.pdf

You mention Willetta and Culver, which are south of McDowell and are in the Roosevelt and FQ Story Historic Districts. Edgemont exists in both Willo and Encanto Manor. Within Willo, both Edgemont and Almeria are considered less desirable due to their proximity to Thomas and McDowell respectively. We once looked at a house on the south side of Almeria which seemed real nice until we looked over the back fence and saw a pawn shop and a tattoo parlor across the alley. We live on Virginia between 5th and 7th. The helicopter traffic to St. Joe's is somewhat of a negative but not awful. The area is all very walkable with restaurants, coffee shops, etc., within easy reach. As you progress south from Thomas the homes get older and may have more "character". Our house was built in 1941. The homes near McDowell tend to be early 30's. Down into Roosevelt, a sidewalk on 5th near Lynwood is stamped 1919. If I could pick a location I would go for Holly or Monte Vista between 3rd and 5th. All in all this is a very safe area. I have heard of a few break-ins but no more than any other place I have lived in in Phoenix, and my prior locations have been very suburban.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:14 AM

537 posts, read 1,545,048 times
Here's your chance to choose your favorite mansion and see some Phoenix history up close. I saw signs along 15th. Ave. this morning for the Encanto-Palmcroft home tours this weekend Sunday March 24th. This happens once every two years. I can't believe how downtown Phoenix is really jumping. I think most of the credit goes to ASU's expansion into downtown. There are people walking everywhere. Maybe this is your last chance to get that loft or condo downtown.

Home Tour | Encanto-Palmcroft Historic Preservation Association | Phoenix, Arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: