Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:37 AM

81 posts, read 213,524 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering moving our family to the Phoenix area. We are both in sales and our territories would be to the east and North of downtown Phoenix. Schools are VERY important for our two young girls... we are moving from a master planned community with blue ribbon schools. I have heard Scottsdale, Chandler and Gilbert as options. Price range is 450k-550k. I would LOVE to have some kind of view of a mountain range, but I don't know if this will be available in our price range and Gilbert/Chandler seem kind of flat? I went to school at the U of A so I am familiar with the desert, but not with Phoenix. Something like the Catalina Foothills in Tucson would be great.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,406,184 times
Freeman Farms in Gilbert may be an option for you, and depending on the orientation of the house you may get a view of the SanTan Mountains. Freeman Farms is split between the Higley and Chandler school districts, both of which are great districts. If you want a new home, keep in mind that Freeman Farms is in a closeout phase, so only quick move-in homes are currently available. However, next year a new phase at Freeman Farms will be opening, which will consist of all one-story homes with very large lots.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,701,295 times
I'd search in 85255 and 85259 for great schools with mountain views. You won't get quite the house that you would in Chandler or Gilbert but it's far more scenic IMO.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:04 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,197,716 times
Being in sales, you are probably not tied to a desk most days, so if you do not mind driving you certainly can find a nice home in Scottsdale or North Phoenix that will give you good schools and access to the Loop 101 for travel around the valley.

One area I might recommend is the Desert Ridge area (N. Phoenix). There are several nice newer developments there and a good location. You also could consider Scottsdale east of the 101 along the Shea corridor. The homes will be a little older, but nice.

You could even consider Fountain Hills as it is more affordable, good schools, small town atmosphere and nice mountain views. Access is not that great, but depending on your sales territory you could get to Scottsdale via Shea or Mesa via Rte 87.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:44 PM

81 posts, read 213,524 times
What new home builders would you recommend? Which would you recommend to stay away from? We live in a Highland home in TX and it has been great. They have a good reputation, and I've seen friends go with less reputable builders and get burned.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:24 PM

469 posts, read 1,039,384 times
Take a look at the soils maps of the Valley. It will make a lot of the older homes look more desirable, as a lot of the newer ones are built on expansive clay soil, and builders will allow hairline cracks.

Old 12-15-2013, 12:50 PM

768 posts, read 1,764,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebeyer2013 View Post
Take a look at the soils maps of the Valley. It will make a lot of the older homes look more desirable, as a lot of the newer ones are built on expansive clay soil, and builders will allow hairline cracks.

Please take this suggestion with a grain of salt. Many older homes in the Phoenix metro ARE built on expansive soil. Many older homes have movement issues. Building codes in AZ are elementary in scope compared to Texas.

When you hear that saying, "everything is bigger and better in Texas" - there is truth to those words.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:20 PM

39,128 posts, read 51,416,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Please take this suggestion with a grain of salt. Many older homes in the Phoenix metro ARE built on expansive soil. Many older homes have movement issues. Building codes in AZ are elementary in scope compared to Texas.

When you hear that saying, "everything is bigger and better in Texas" - there is truth to those words.
That is complete nonsense. Cities in AZ have the same code as cities in Texas - The International Residential Code. Most of them in both areas on on the 2012 version.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,406,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is complete nonsense. Cities in AZ have the same code as cities in Texas - The International Residential Code. Most of them in both areas on on the 2012 version.
I heard somewhere that for electrical code, Arizona still only requires AFCI breakers for bedrooms. The latest national electrical code requires AFCI breakers in all rooms except those where you use GFCI breakers or receptacles (bathrooms, laundry rooms, kitchens, garages, and outdoor receptacles), which Arizona has yet to adopt from what I heard. I don't know if this is true or not; I have to check the panel at our new home under construction to see if all of them except the GFCI protected locations have AFCI breakers or not.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:08 PM

39,128 posts, read 51,416,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I heard somewhere that for electrical code, Arizona still only requires AFCI breakers for bedrooms. The latest national electrical code requires AFCI breakers in all rooms except those where you use GFCI breakers or receptacles (bathrooms, laundry rooms, kitchens, garages, and outdoor receptacles), which Arizona has yet to adopt from what I heard. I don't know if this is true or not; I have to check the panel at our new home under construction to see if all of them except the GFCI protected locations have AFCI breakers or not.
There is not a single "Arizona" code. Cities and other municipalities have their own building officials. Most cities have adopted the entire suite of National model codes, though, local amendments are often part of that. They can vary on which version (year) as well, so there is no way to say that Wickenburg and Tempe require the same things, for example. This is the case in other states as well. In Texas, there are large unincorporated areas that lack building code enforcement though all of the cities of any size would have codes. I don't think there is anywhere in Arizona that does not require permits and inspections - maybe the Reservations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area