U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM

76 posts, read 154,501 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a decent hotel to stay at for a week. I would like to stay in the midtown area so I can explore in all directions.
I was looking at Extended Stay America either the midtown or biltmore location but the reviews sound awful so I'm thinking about the one in old scottsdale. The address is 3560 N Marshall Way. Is this a safe area?
Does anyone know of any other hotels in the midtown area that are decent/safe for $70-80/night?
My week will be in July.
Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM

357 posts, read 656,247 times
The Biltmore location has really great freeway access, is a safe area, and a ton of stuff around it so I'd choose that location. The Old Town location is also very nice and safe, if not safer. It will just take a few minutes to get to the freeways to explore. The Midtown location looks ok. Not a bad area necessarily but kind of in the middle of office buildings. there are some working class areas around it but nothing terrible. There are some nice, historical areas around it too. A couple miles north at Central and Camelback has lots of stuff and some stuff further downtown too. If you want light rail access it would be good though.

Haven't stayed at any but these are my opinions of the locations specifically.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 PM

681 posts, read 1,451,961 times
I would look for deals on priceline or another hotel discounter Sue. You can get some great deals and put basic criteria in like minimum star level and general location. I think we paid $50/night for a Hilton in Scottsdale a couple of years ago during July. Found it on Priceline.

July is VERY inexpensive for hotels in Phoenix... lots of "stay-cation" deals at the local resorts as well.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM

582 posts, read 1,368,651 times
Extended Stay America at 2nd Ave and Osborn is centrally located and 2 blocks from the light rail and financial district. You could ride the light rail both ways for a $4 daily pass and see some spots, getting off at the end of the line in Phoenix, downtown, and Tempe.

We don't really have the type of hoods here where if you get caught up there at night you'll get robbed and left for dead. Phoenix is more of a urban sprawl, suburban metro. Quite unlike many older dilapidated cities in the East and Rust Belt Midwest

Old 03-06-2013, 06:09 PM

4,201 posts, read 13,024,493 times
as Tired says, since you're here in July (the slowest month here in Phx) and your budget is $70-80/night, I'd look for deals at a place nicer than Extended Stay....hotels and resorts offer summer specials here that can be a good deal....priceline, orbitz, and hotwire are great if you can navigate them and know how to "read between the lines"....you can also just call up hotels directly and politely ask if they have any special promotions or summer rates....the very, very best places here will still ask a little over $100/night....also, watch out for "resort fees", which can go up to $40/night extra.....

Old 03-07-2013, 08:16 AM

76 posts, read 154,501 times
Thanks guys. I've been checking out priceline, travelocity,.... I've found some good deals I think.
See ya in July Phoenix!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:27 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,813,691 times
Another great site is www.hotwire.com I've ALWAYS had great experiences with them.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:55 AM

6,339 posts, read 13,184,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue1000 View Post
I'm looking for a decent hotel to stay at for a week. I would like to stay in the midtown area so I can explore in all directions.
I was looking at Extended Stay America either the midtown or biltmore location but the reviews sound awful so I'm thinking about the one in old scottsdale. The address is 3560 N Marshall Way. Is this a safe area?
Does anyone know of any other hotels in the midtown area that are decent/safe for $70-80/night?
My week will be in July.
Thanks!
I would wait to book that trip until the last minute - especially if you don't have to be in a certain location.. worst case in the summer might be a motel 6 for ~$40 - ish a night.. I cant think of any event in July that fills all the hotels everywhere, and would cause you to not be able to get a room for under $80. Last summer you could hace your pick of the litter, including Hiltons for under that price.

If you book now, they know you're not a local and you wont get the lowest price.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:45 AM

190 posts, read 321,254 times
We stayed in the Biltmore area last July at a place called Hotel Highland at Biltmore, and it was great. They changed hands now and are owned by Hampton. Here is the link:

Hampton Inn Phoenix Biltmore AZ

I think we spent about $80 a night, if I remember correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area