U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 PM

47 posts, read 124,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Your HOA is different than your Rec Center fee. Your HOA is for your home and has nothing to do with Sun City. The rec center fee is for the amenities. $450 a year. That is for 1 or 2 people. That like $1.25 a day. How did you think they keep 7 rec centers going? Did you think everything was free? The costs to keep Sun City running is about a million a month. They bring in quite a bit more and that is why there is constant improvements and upgrades. New buyers pay $3000(one time fee) when the title in transfered. That is for capital improvements. I think it is money well spent. The somewhat new rec center was 20 million. Another one is being upgraded now.
I see.. I'm learning as I go here. From this forum. I'm not assuming things need to be free. It's just different than here. I've learned as a renter potentially speaking, that i would not necessarily need to pay rec fees. A picture is worth a thousand words. So, once I go there, I'll be asking alot less questions afterwards. Having never been there of course I have alot of questions. It sounds like it is money well spent, I did not know they had 7 rec centers going, I don't know anything about sun city west except what little my friend has told me, and what more I learn in here. Moving is a huge life altering event. I just want to stay and be informed, that's all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 12:53 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,580,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorbie65 View Post
I see.. I'm learning as I go here. From this forum. I'm not assuming things need to be free. It's just different than here. I've learned as a renter potentially speaking, that i would not necessarily need to pay rec fees. A picture is worth a thousand words. So, once I go there, I'll be asking alot less questions afterwards. Having never been there of course I have alot of questions. It sounds like it is money well spent, I did not know they had 7 rec centers going, I don't know anything about sun city west except what little my friend has told me, and what more I learn in here. Moving is a huge life altering event. I just want to stay and be informed, that's all.
Everything I say is about Sun City, not Sun City West. West is more expensive.

There is no retirement community that offers as much as Sun City at such a low price.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:10 PM

42,000 posts, read 54,789,078 times
I think some one mentioned this before but it's worth repeating.
Re: Sun City
The homeowner is responsible for paying the HOA fee(s), the $450.00 rec fee and the preservation fee of $3000.00 if a new buyer.
The long term renter pays a 'Privelege Card' fee of $225.00 anually.
There is a short-term 'Privilege Card' (30, 60, 90 days) $60/person/month
A qualifying non-owner, renter, tenant, lessee, occupant of a Sun City property may be eligible to purchase a Privilege Card.

The preservation fee was implimented about 10 years ago and applies to new buyers only. One of the biggest controversies has been the preservation fee (which many feel is a usage tax) is being paid by those who have never even used the facilities yet. And that those living here before the fee and have been using the rec centers for years and are the ones responsible for the wear and tear and don't have to pay a fair share for their usage. It's all dumped on new owners and it is one reason that sales in SC are slow and not keeping up with the rest of the valley.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:38 AM

There are about 150 sales a month in Sun City. That's not bad for a place this size with an age limited customer base.

Anyone that says they did not buy here because of $3000 never intended to buy here anyway. I have never heard a newer person complain about the fee. The people I socialize with have almost all been here less than 10 years, mostly less than 3 years. It is never even mentioned in conversation, hardly a controversy.

I know nothing about renting in Sun City. I live in an owner occupied only condo, and wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. I have never been keen on renters. In my opinion, and I am sure most would disagree with me, Sun City should not allow renters.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM

190 posts, read 319,971 times
Both nitram and thinkalot make good points.

I have watched the PHX real estate market for the past three years now. Everything I write now has to do with the original SC. The Sun City market has not increased in price anywhere near as much as the other areas all around PHX. However, there has been a steady increase in price, with a slight correction which seems to be occurring now in 85351 and 85373 with regard to SF homes. (I am NOT looking at foreclosures or short sales.) Condos in 85373 (Phase III original SC) have and are still going up in price since this time in 2012. As thinkalot mentioned sales are continuous and steady and the average DOM has also remained stable. If it's priced right and it is clean and updated, it is moving.

I don't object to rentals in SC, but I would not have purchased a condo to permanently LIVE in where the COA allowed rentals. I think that's a personal preference.

There are a lot of us slightly "under 55" folks who are looking at SC and seeing what a bargain it is and how much there is to offer and buying NOW because the prices are rising. The $3,000 preservation fee was not a turnoff for us to buy in SC. Anything we looked at, we automatically added $3,000 to the price. It was a given. We visited and walked around all of the rec centers so we appreciated what that $3,000 went for.

There is a whole new generation of younger and still working "last years of the baby boomers" moving into SC. We don't care that many of our neighbors are almost 15 - 20 years older than us. We like the fact that there are rules and don't mind if we have to wait a year or so until we are "legal" to live there. We don't mind that the sidewalks are rolled up at 6 p.m. We like the quiet. There are plenty of places to eat, drink, shop, medical facilities in the nearby area.

What I take issue with is folks complaining about things or posting misinformation here and they haven't done their research or even visited. You need to visit at least twice, stay in the area, look around and ask questions. You can't learn it all from the internet, but it's a start. Over 55 isn't for everyone and every place has it's positives and negatives.

Last edited by ILikeEveryone; 04-14-2013 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Bad grammar

Old 06-15-2013, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,790 times
Do the hospitals accept Medicare in SCW? Are Doctors there accepting new Medicare patients there? Some doctors here in Florida are switching to pay as you go and have stopped accepting any insurance. Thank you.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM

284 posts, read 646,562 times
Have you investigated other parts of the valley? If not, I invite you to consider east Mesa. No rec fees, lower HOA, very nice rec centers and golf courses. Plus it's closer to the airport and a much greater variety of restaurants and shopping.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 AM

9,320 posts, read 17,604,730 times
We explored retirement spots from AZ to Florida and back again. TX was interesting but the property taxes were a turn off for us along with the flooding issues where we looked. In every development the HOA fees were high, especially in FL. We own a lovely home in Vistancia here in north Peoria and had thought of staying there but it was a family community and we knew in a few short years we would be not so welcomed. We looked across the street at the Trilogy/55+ where our daughter worked as a field manager for Shea. They pushed hard for us to buy one. The things we did not care for were the lack of things to do unless you lived for golf or drank a lot. The gym is small, the swimming pools to small for that development and the HOA fees were at the time, $225 a month. They are higher now. Besides, you could wash your neighbors windows the yards were so small and the streets congested with homes. The price for a small 1,300 square foot home in there was $225,000.

The 3,000 dollar rec fee here was not even a second thought and we only pay that one time, not 3,000 a year for 20 years. We paid $86,000 for a small 2/1 and took it down to the studs, added two rooms and a new spa like master bath. I finally have the concrete counters and contemporary cabinets I dreamt of and that the builders would not hear of when we bought in Vistancia. To me it is the difference of wanting a home that impresses or a home you make you own and having a place to live that is fun and interesting. Sitting inside 4 walls in a pseudo luxury home would and did get old quickly. I can live here and now after many years....finally happy. I can say I love my neighbors and they are fond of us as well.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
Have you investigated other parts of the valley? If not, I invite you to consider east Mesa. No rec fees, lower HOA, very nice rec centers and golf courses. Plus it's closer to the airport and a much greater variety of restaurants and shopping.

What 55+ community has free rec centers? What do they offer?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:18 AM

284 posts, read 646,562 times
I may have mispoken - I'm not a golfer. Our HOA includes access to three pools and the fitness center (we do not have to pay a separate fee for access to any of the three rec centers). Fitness classes are extra and there is a fee for golfing. PM me if you want details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area