Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
There are about 150 sales a month in Sun City. That's not bad for a place this size with an age limited customer base.

Anyone that says they did not buy here because of $3000 never intended to buy here anyway. I have never heard a newer person complain about the fee. The people I socialize with have almost all been here less than 10 years, mostly less than 3 years. It is never even mentioned in conversation, hardly a controversy.

I know nothing about renting in Sun City. I live in an owner occupied only condo, and wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. I have never been keen on renters. In my opinion, and I am sure most would disagree with me, Sun City should not allow renters.
I don't live in Sun City but I do live in Sun City West. I rented for a year and my lease was to expire August 31st. I have paid my lease off and I'm leaving in 2 weeks. It seemed to me there are very few renters here. Evidently were not a very welcomed segment of the population. A person can feel it and why live somewhere that unwelcoming. I don't think retirement communities really represent the average retired person in America to begin with. Most retirees in this country do not live in one. It's only a certain segment, and I think a rather small percentage at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I don't live in Sun City but I do live in Sun City West. I rented for a year and my lease was to expire August 31st. I have paid my lease off and I'm leaving in 2 weeks. It seemed to me there are very few renters here. Evidently were not a very welcomed segment of the population. A person can feel it and why live somewhere that unwelcoming. I don't think retirement communities really represent the average retired person in America to begin with. Most retirees in this country do not live in one. It's only a certain segment, and I think a rather small percentage at that.
I am sorry you had that uncomfortable experience in S.C.W. I think you would find you are welcomed here in the original SC. We have a rental home behind us and we always welcome the tenants that come and go and have had some very nice temporary neighbors. I know of several Canadians that rent here every winter and they do not experience what you went through. It does happen and I can say we were very uncomfortable in our former neighborhood/family development. Our neighbors would hardly wave or even stop to say hello. I lived next door to a young family for over 7 years and never knew the names of their children or the husband's name. Very cold experience for us so I do empathize with you. I hope you find your spot in the near future.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:34 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Sun City West must be very different from Sun City. I have never lived in a more welcoming place. I am still meeting new people every club meeting I go to and every activity I participate in. 3 more yesterday. I can't stand in line at the store without someone striking up a conversation. My condo development probably has 50 planned events a year. My neighbors all get along.

Most retirees I know wish they could live in a 55+. Some can't because of finances, some because of family, some are just afraid to try anything new. Some never thought of moving 55+. I never did until my sister did and told me how nice it was. I never considered it before.

People forget it is an ACTIVE adult community. If you are going to sit at home and only do the things you did before you came here I doubt if a person would be happy. In an area this large the average person will be dead before they run out of new things to do.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Sun City West must be very different from Sun City. I have never lived in a more welcoming place. I am still meeting new people every club meeting I go to and every activity I participate in. 3 more yesterday. I can't stand in line at the store without someone striking up a conversation. My condo development probably has 50 planned events a year. My neighbors all get along.

Most retirees I know wish they could live in a 55+. Some can't because of finances, some because of family, some are just afraid to try anything new. Some never thought of moving 55+. I never did until my sister did and told me how nice it was. I never considered it before.

People forget it is an ACTIVE adult community. If you are going to sit at home and only do the things you did before you came here I doubt if a person would be happy. In an area this large the average person will be dead before they run out of new things to do.
We also have a population changing here in Sun City. Newer boomers are coming in with new ideas and jumping on the wagon to help make some positive changes here. Great to be involved in making your community a better place for all retirees that come here. I do agree with you it is a very active place and the clubs can take up a lot of your time and energy. I only do one club here and stay very busy...but I love it. We had also never considered moving here until we did a few remodel jobs here and fell in love with the houses and what you can do to them...So glad you are enjoying yourself here.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,266 times
Default Geoff

Been to SCW twice. Me and wife just bought a house there. My dad lives there. The $3000 capital improvement fee (new sales) and $405 a year are a bargain. Remember that the taxes are very low. No school taxes. Our taxes will be $875 a year. The same taxes would be over $3000 a year for the same house where I live now.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:04 AM

116 posts, read 284,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff 132 View Post
Been to SCW twice. Me and wife just bought a house there. My dad lives there. The $3000 capital improvement fee (new sales) and $405 a year are a bargain. Remember that the taxes are very low. No school taxes. Our taxes will be $875 a year. The same taxes would be over $3000 a year for the same house where I live now.
We live in SCW. There ARE areas of SCW that pay school taxes. Ask about the taxes when you are looking at homes. I don't have a problem paying the school taxes. Check out HOA fees and what they provide for the $$, they vary as well.

I am very happy with this community. We have shopping, bowling, plenty of doctors and a hospital inside the community. The people are very friendly, lots of clubs and activities as well.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizfourfam View Post
We live in SCW. There ARE areas of SCW that pay school taxes. Ask about the taxes when you are looking at homes. I don't have a problem paying the school taxes. Check out HOA fees and what they provide for the $$, they vary as well.

I am very happy with this community. We have shopping, bowling, plenty of doctors and a hospital inside the community. The people are very friendly, lots of clubs and activities as well.
The rec center there with the shops is one of the most beautiful centers I have seen. You get a lot of bang for the $ there as well as the original Sun City.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:31 PM

11 posts, read 28,171 times
Default SCG vs. SCW

I am coming late to this thread so hope someone sees it. Just returned from Phoenix and visiting a friend in SCG. Very impressed with the whole setup. Now wondering how it compares to SCW. SCW is older for one thing but not sure that matters. I also have the impression SCG could be a bit more expensive when it comes to ongoing expenses like home owner fees or whatever the call them. Any advantage of one over the other? We will try to rent for a month or two to be sure it fits our lifestyle.

Last edited by greytrader; 02-21-2014 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Glad you revived the thread. I am considering a move to Sun City West, and look forward to any responses you get.

Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 PM

11 posts, read 28,171 times
Default So much to do, so little time

What impressed me about SCG was the large number of workshops, like wood and stained glass just to mention two, and all the activity groups. Seems there was at least one for every conceivable interest. From language classes to pets. I need to check SCW to see what they have that compares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area