Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times

Advertisements

Indie bookstore in Phoenix needs customer help to stay afloat - Phoenix Business Journal

An independent bookstore in Phoenix trying to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
Those strip mall locations are very hard for many independent businesses to flourish in, unless they are well established over the years, and have a lot of word of mouth. I can see where an area like downtown Tempe would generate more foot traffic. Free standing locations are usually best.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 PM

181 posts, read 439,527 times
it's called Darwinism, and why we don't still have buggy whip manufacturers in the DOW 30.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times
I like to read, and I actually still prefer actual real books over ipad/nook/kindle/whatever, and I like to support local business as well, however I'm not driving all the way up to 32nd St & Bell for any reason unless it's absolutely necessary.

If this same situation were to happen in downtown Phoenix, I would actually go buy a couple books from the lady.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM

391 posts, read 840,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrey View Post
it's called Darwinism, and why we don't still have buggy whip manufacturers in the DOW 30.
I giggled. The reality is her business plan failed. It says it all right here. The fallacy that someone else is the problem.

Quote:
Tighe makes no bones about the impact of competition from Amazon.com and the surging popularity and sales of electronic books on her business.
This is why I don't understand why I don't run my own business...

Does she not know how many used book stores there are in the valley? Too many too count and how is she trying to compete in the marketplace? How is she trying to show everyone "hey im a used book store at this address" She isn't. She would rather complain to Phoenix business Journal.

You know what my favorite used bookstores have done to be competitive? Online! Can't beat them, join them right? There are so many good deals at used book stores on all kinds of books. Old textbooks to romance novels. I don't like electronic format because of the ridiculous licensing issues that everyone seems to be deerrr ok with. And required battery. The only time I've shopped amazon, barnes and noble, etc. was if the used bookstores didn't have it. Hell if you don't want to manage a website, ebay your books. Do something! Don't expect warm bodies to migrate into a store in hopes of a sale.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:44 PM

2,747 posts, read 3,318,351 times
http://www.azcentral.com/community/n...html#protected

Glad to see the community be able to help this woman's bookstore remain open for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area