Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 10:25 AM

331 posts, read 561,384 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where to get inexpensive non-anesthesia teeth cleaning for dogs? I will be moving to Tempe this month. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:12 AM

537 posts, read 1,537,439 times
That doesn't work very well. Dogs are not good patients and do not like to hold still to get their teeth messed with. I have a friend who had a woman who came to the house to do this procedure. She swore by it but the dog wound up a the real vet's office to have teeth extracted. They don't get to the back teeth very well to clean around the gum line.

My concern is the anesthesia. They are able to bring the patient back very quickly if they need to. My dog doesn't seem dopey for a day like she used to. My dog gets blood work several times a year at Alta Vista in the Melrose district on N. 7th. Ave. I know what her liver functions are. Alta Vista charges in the neighborhood of $400. for cleaning which is why I take her to the Spay and Neuter Clinic and have it done for around $150. The vet is a wonderful woman who has been there for many years. There are no potted plants or Muzak at the clinic but they do good work.

Low Cost Spay & Neuter Clinic - North Phoenix, AZ | Spay Neuter Clinic

They have other locations in the valley.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:14 AM

19,358 posts, read 27,562,622 times
"Inexpensive" and important health care should be avoided in the same sentence (whether it's humans or pets).

I admit that I'd never heard of sedation free teeth cleaning for pets. So I looked it up. Except for those selling it, most of what I found was not positive (unless there was health reason that contraindicates the use of anesthesia)

Is Anesthesia-Free Dentistry Best for Your Pet? | petMD

Anesthesia-Free Teeth Cleaning For Your Dog - Whole Dog Journal Article

Anesthesia Free Pet Dental Cleanings - Phoenix - AZ Vet Dentists

Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 7,949,261 times
You may want to check out what people use on this site to help their pets.

Mouth and Teeth Issues

How old is your dog?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM

331 posts, read 561,384 times
She's 13.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:01 PM

537 posts, read 1,537,439 times
Thirteen years is getting up there for a dog. You can get someone to take it really easy on the anesthesia. My friends and I have had the same experience with teeth cleaning and geriatric dogs. Our common experience is that you have a brand new dog after a good cleaning. I did a 13 year old sheltie a few years back. He kind of acted like a puppy for a while. A year later he was diagnosed with lymphoma and he lasted one more year with that. I made special arrangements with the groomer to get him in early and get him out quickly. He had a very dignified end of life.

It may be worth the risk to do the regular cleaning with your dog. Good luck.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:18 PM

550 posts, read 1,116,409 times
I paid 239.50$ in October 2011 but this was without blood work. He is a young dog (1 year, 1 month old at the time) and had blood work done not long before. With a 13 years old dog I would certainly have blood work done before anesthesia. The dental cleaning without anesthesia is not worth much because they cannot go under the gums. The price also depends on how bad your dog's mouth looks like. For everyday care I use Petzlife for brushing. Should be using it every day but the dog does not like to have his teeth brushed (my excuse), after 1-½ year and only occasional brushing, his teeth are still clean. If your dog's teeth are not in too bad shape, you might try this product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area