U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 AM

3 posts, read 15,493 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this is a new post for an old thread. I am new here.

My husband is transferring to Mesa, AZ and we are looking at moving to Gilbert or Chandler. Budget around 500k. We are from Idaho and are used to the LDS folks (and really enjoy them!) however I don't want our kids to go to school in an area where they will be shunned or left out of activities due their Catholic upbringing.

Can anyone provide some neighborhoods or developments (or insight in general) that might be a good match. We are working with a Realtor who suggested building in the Lyons Gate subdivision with Maracay Homes however I have never seen the subdivision and don't know much about it. We are moving from a very prestigious area and are used to a certain quality of life.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 04:37 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,852,883 times
With your budget, you will have lots of great choices. You just need to see the areas and see what you are comfortable with. There are lots of LDS churches around, but that doesn't mean your kids will be shunned.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 AM

571 posts, read 1,123,567 times
Research, research, research. If there's a neighborhood you're interested in, try to get stats. Gilbert's breakdown is: 17.26% Roman Catholic, 11.12% Protestant and 12.6% Mormon.

There are Mormon wards that are accepting but there are others that are extremely exclusionary. I understand that much of their social interaction revolves around their church. But I have never been so excluded or have had people turn their backs to me when I say hi at a little league game. My kids have never been invited anywhere by anyone who is Mormon. (Our neighborhood is primarily Mormon, which I did not know when we bought our house. The administration at the school is predominantly Mormon - the principals and teachers - altho my daughter had a non-Mormon teacher last year.) This even became an issue on my kids' sports teams where coaches and assistant coaches were Mormon, knew each other and mostly played the other Mormon kids.

So, if I had to do it over again, what would I do? I'd research areas, drive around, check out the # of churches in the area. Too many LDS churches and I'd scratch the neighborhood off my list. Don't get me wrong, I'd move into a neighborhood with some LDS, but if it's dominant and you're living in the middle of a ward, then I'd definitely look elsewhere. Go to parks, hang out, talk to people.

We made a big mistake and now we're moving.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 AM

8,187 posts, read 9,321,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbabsheridan View Post
We are moving from a VERY prestigious area and are used to a certain quality of life.
I got some secret footage of Lyon's Gate in Gilbert (see below). As you see from the video, the Mormon's (green Rolls Royce) is sharing with the Catholics (white Rolls Royce). You will indeed enjoy that "prestigious quality of life" without any conflicts. But around the middle of the video, you will see examples of how the two religions don't get along. Just don't steal someone's Grey Poupon and everything will be fine! Cheerio!

Grey Poupon "The Lost Footage" - YouTube

Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM

701 posts, read 1,323,466 times
If you're seeking more diversity, where religion is hardly ever a factor in building relationships, and there are plenty of "prestigious" neighborhoods, why not consider Scottsdale? Too many newcomers to this board focus exclusively on Chandler/Gilbert, like they're the only two towns in the valley. Based on what you've written, I'd say Scottsdale would be a much better fit for you.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 AM

4,511 posts, read 8,493,219 times
Lol, this is the only place i see so much "worry" about mormons. Personally, every religion seems silly to me. I live in Chandler and don't let any religious people bother me :-)

Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM

8,187 posts, read 9,321,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
If you're seeking more diversity, where religion is hardly ever a factor in building relationships, and there are plenty of "prestigious" neighborhoods, why not consider Scottsdale? Too many newcomers to this board focus exclusively on Chandler/Gilbert, like they're the only two towns in the valley. Based on what you've written, I'd say Scottsdale would be a much better fit for you.
For $500K, you won't get "prestigious" in Scottsdale. She is from Idaho. Here is an example of the finer life in Idaho. But the price tag is over $3M. Luxury Homes - Details for In-town Luxury Home on Trail Creek

Old 04-04-2013, 08:59 AM

160 posts, read 169,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post
Research, research, research. If there's a neighborhood you're interested in, try to get stats. Gilbert's breakdown is: 17.26% Roman Catholic, 11.12% Protestant and 12.6% Mormon.

There are Mormon wards that are accepting but there are others that are extremely exclusionary. I understand that much of their social interaction revolves around their church. But I have never been so excluded or have had people turn their backs to me when I say hi at a little league game. My kids have never been invited anywhere by anyone who is Mormon. (Our neighborhood is primarily Mormon, which I did not know when we bought our house. The administration at the school is predominantly Mormon - the principals and teachers - altho my daughter had a non-Mormon teacher last year.) This even became an issue on my kids' sports teams where coaches and assistant coaches were Mormon, knew each other and mostly played the other Mormon kids.

So, if I had to do it over again, what would I do? I'd research areas, drive around, check out the # of churches in the area. Too many LDS churches and I'd scratch the neighborhood off my list. Don't get me wrong, I'd move into a neighborhood with some LDS, but if it's dominant and you're living in the middle of a ward, then I'd definitely look elsewhere. Go to parks, hang out, talk to people.

This is what I am trying to avoid before we move. One thing I have done when researching neighborhoods, is look it up on Google Maps and use the search nearby option and type in LDS, it will bring up all of the LDS Churches nearby. Very very useful thank you Google!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM

1,123 posts, read 2,852,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelcake4 View Post

Very sorry to hear you feel like you need to move.

When I grew up in Mesa, the demographics were different. LDS were predominant. Probably the majority of my friends were LDS. I was always invited into their homes and some church functions. The only issue I remember having, was when I invited some LDS friends on a hike of the Superstition Mountains, with my youth group at church. No one was allowed to attend, and I didn't understand.

This is very difficult to research, as people move and things change. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:42 AM

3 posts, read 15,493 times
Thank you very much for your honest replies. I truly appreciate it.

I was raised in a predominantly LDS area and learned how to fit in as a non-member. I just want my kids to have fun and enjoy friends without any religion playing a part in who gets invited to play. Wishful thinking, eh?

I did research Scottsdale (it looks very nice!) however I can only afford a nice condo there. With three kids, that just will not work.

I will be down there in a couple of weeks to just sit in coffee shops and people watch. I also appreciate the google maps suggestion.

Thank you for your time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>