U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 01:19 PM

93 posts, read 436,896 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Moving to Chandler over the summer and need to find which area is the best/nicest area to rent a house so that we end up in the boundaries for Chandler High or Hamilton High.

Do we look by zip code or is it by streets?

Just putting our house up here on the market and I'm frazzled. I want this to be a smooth transition for my son who will be entering 8th grade next year. We live on a lot of land here but we know we want a nice house with a pool for less than 1500/month rent (Is this even doable?) LOL!!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:36 PM

3,686 posts, read 3,910,198 times
Absolutely doable. It just depends on how big of a house you want to rent, this area of Chandler you aren't going to get a lot of land, per se.

Chandler School District is an open border school district so it doesn't really matter where you live in chandler, just whether or not you are going to be in proximity to the school. Hamilton and Basha are the schools that most people want to hit, Chandler High is downtown and is still a good school but not as desirable as the other 2 in academics or sports. Also...your son will be in middle school in the 8th grade not high school so you may want to look at middle schools first. Bogle is a good feeder for Hamilton, but I am biased.

Start looking in 85286 and 85248 for rentals, they tend to go fast as this is a desirable area to live in Chandler, close to Intel and a few other employers, easy freeway access and plenty of shopping.

[sorry, not permitted-- amounts to advertising] Keep in mind the school year starts July 22.

Last edited by observer53; 04-13-2013 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM

35,884 posts, read 45,957,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Absolutely doable. It just depends on how big of a house you want to rent, this area of Chandler you aren't going to get a lot of land, per se.

Chandler School District is an open border school district so it doesn't really matter where you live in chandler, just whether or not you are going to be in proximity to the school. Hamilton and Basha are the schools that most people want to hit, Chandler High is downtown and is still a good school but not as desirable as the other 2 in academics or sports. Also...your son will be in middle school in the 8th grade not high school so you may want to look at middle schools first. Bogle is a good feeder for Hamilton, but I am biased.

Start looking in 85286 and 85248 for rentals, they tend to go fast as this is a desirable area to live in Chandler, close to Intel and a few other employers, easy freeway access and plenty of shopping.

Incidentally, I will have a 1200sqft 3/2 with a pool going up for rent at the end of July for $1300 . Clemente Ranch area. Keep in mind the school year starts July 22.
There are a couple of caveats to the open enrollment policy. It is a state law and theoretically anyone can attend any school they wish to. But, the school you want is required to first serve students in its own attendance zone. They do not have to take your child if there is not room, for example, or s/he has a disciplinary history. They also will not provide transportation to out of attendance zone kids. Finally, as a practical matter gleaned from experience, it makes sense to live close to the school because the kids' friends and the school activities are going to require you to drive them around more otherwise.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks, awesome advice!

We were online and he has been torn on which school he likes better but he was looking at Bogle for JH and Chandler or Hamilton for HS. He plays football and hockey so he was leaning toward Hamilton but he likes the way Chandler looks better, LOL!!!

We were going to hit the easy button and just go into a new apartment community for the amenities, but then the apts are about the 1000-1300 range which is probably closer to our budget, and if our house doesn't sell here, then our budget will be on the lower end of my range.

[orphaned response to deleted material]

Thanks again!

Last edited by observer53; 04-13-2013 at 07:24 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM

3,686 posts, read 3,910,198 times
Hamilton will be tough to get into for Football. Part of the reason CUSD has open borders is to recruit top athletes for Basha and Hamilton. There are whole football feeder programs set up with CYF to train the next batch of players. Not saying he can't get on the team, but it is very competitive. There is a reason they have 7 State Championships (Terrell Suggs graduated from Hamilton) That being said, their academics are top notch as well. Obviously I am a bit biased as after living in the Valley for 20+ years, my wife and I decided for this area specifically for the school district. Our kids are going to Tarwater right now, will be moving on to Bogle and then Hamilton.

I'll second what Ponderosa said as well...all true and worth consideration. Students that live within the boundaries have precedence over "out of zone" students. So to be within the boundaries for Chandler High, you kind of have to live downtown which can get into some not so well kept neighborhoods.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:14 PM

I prefer Hamilton as well as they have Hockey. I would much rather him play Hockey than football but he does both.

He plays school football here in Texas....so I know what you mean. Plenty of kids here going around the system to play for other schools, etc. We would definitely want to be in a zoned Hamilton area now that I read more.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:44 PM

4,419 posts, read 8,367,453 times
Just look at the boundary map on the chandler public schools website. Basically if you are West of McQueen and South of Pecos, you are in Hamilton. Hamilton is rated higher than Chandler. I would choose Basha or Perry over Chandler.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:46 PM

4,419 posts, read 8,367,453 times
And yeah, Hamilton football is tough. I drive by all the time and they are always practicing, and it's always well over 100 kids, many whom look like college or NFL athletes, and then the regular sized kids that dont see the field. Hamilton won something like 7 titles in the last 9-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area