Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:38 AM

50 posts, read 133,605 times

Advertisements

What is the area like and the safety?
Does anyone live downtown Phoenix?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 10:32 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,530 times
I have and do, but it depends on your definition of Downtown. What area are you considering?

Old 04-14-2013, 11:27 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,646 times
Some phonecians will really praise downtown phx and tell you that it has drastically improved for living in recent years. I don't like it- think downtown LA. If you need to be close to downtown, the best area to live is the Biltmore/ Camelback east area. 15 minute drive to downtown phx (all surface streets) and close to Scottsdale for daily necessities.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:33 AM

606 posts, read 1,605,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubconsciousMe View Post
I have and do, but it depends on your definition of Downtown. What area are you considering?
Excellent answer here^^

Technically, "downtown" Phoenix is a pretty small area: 7th St-3rd Ave and Jefferson-Fillmore. But, there are a lot of neighborhoods just outside of those boundaries that most Phoenicians still refer to as "downtown" (although technically it is not).

I too live very close to downtown, but technically I am just out of the downtown boundaries. My neighborhood is called Eastlake Park and I love it because it combines urban amenities with affordability, diversity and walkability.

Now after that long-winded answer, I am going to say the same thing as the previous poster: as "downtown" Phoenix can mean different things to different people, what area(s) specifically were you considering? Or if you were looking for recommendations for specific "downtown" areas, just tell us your budget and what specific amenities you are looking for in the neighborhood. We will be more able to advise after you provide that information.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:27 PM

Is there a certain place that designates the center of downtown for Phoenix?

Last edited by freezintoes; 04-14-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 04:29 PM

Guess my definition of downtown Phoenix is whereever the center of that is designated at.

Last edited by freezintoes; 04-14-2013 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezintoes View Post
Is there a certain place that designates the center of downtown for Phoenix?
Yeah, it's the intersection of Washington & Central. I'll leave you some more detailed information regarding your original question when I get home later tonite...

Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 PM

I consider myself as living Downtown because I'm in the Melrose district and the "technical" definition of Downtown is terribly narrow. I absolutely love where I live as well. I can walk to the light rail to get to nearly anything and multitudes of restaurants are nearby as are multiple grocery stores. Whereas the "technical" downtown core is rich with restaurants but not so much the daily need stuff like a full grocery store.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM

I didn't have too long to spend on this, but here you go:

*The blue area is downtown Phoenix, there is residential there it is a very nice very safe area.

*The green area is technically outside of downtown but still very close to it and also very nice areas also very safe.

*The orange area still has a lot of low income areas but is ripe for gentrification in the next 5-10 years. There will be more crime in this area.

*The purple area is all low income and has a lot of crime issues.

And in response to the above poster, I would consider the Melrose district to much more "Uptown" Phoenix; however there is no debating that it is a very nice area.

I believe that the OP posted something about wanting to live close to ASU Downtown, and then edited his/her post to read as something completely different. If this is the case, I would recommend Taylor Place (http://housing.asu.edu/residence/taylor-place), or if not, anywhere in the blue area would be best for you. The green area would be slightly further, but nothing a quick bicycle ride couldn't solve. Honestly, you would be fine in the orange and purple areas too, but they are not quite as nice.

Feel free to reply with any questions.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I believe that the OP posted something about wanting to live close to ASU Downtown, and then edited his/her post to read as something completely different. If this is the case, I would recommend Taylor Place (http://housing.asu.edu/residence/taylor-place), or if not, anywhere in the blue area would be best for you.
If this is the case, and depending on the OP's age... see, I go to ASU Downtown and live near Central/Camelback and love it. I like this area because I'm a bit older of a student and consider myself a foodie... so I didn't want to be near the campus exactly as I didn't want to look out my window and see school However, I'm a 10 minute train ride away and in a very safe area with a reasonably priced apartment ($700 for a 2 bedroom/2 bath about 1,000 square feet). It's all personal preference really.

Did you know the Downtown Phoenix Journal considers "Downtown" "Downtown, to us, is a lifestyle, not a geographic area. Think of it as Glendale Ave-ish to Grant St-ish and from I-17-ish to Highway 51-ish"... so it's all a matter of perspective.

I seriously LOVE my neighborhood, insanely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area