Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,187 times

Advertisements

Do any of you know any scammers in the area or have you been victim of a scam here before? I was reading on other forums that there are a lot of moving company scams.

ABC15 just started a scam-uncovering segment, but so far he has only uncovered a vehicle lien scam from some guy in Phoenix.

Any input? Is Phoenix known for scammers?

Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,645 times
Not any more than other cities, I would imagine. All of the local news programs have a consumer help segment, where these are usually explained and such. Channel 3 with "3 on your side" seems to do a lot more of these segments than the other channels.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 AM

606 posts, read 1,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
Not any more than other cities, I would imagine...
AGREED!

But, also know that 99% of those bummy losers with sob stories at gas stations asking for "Just enough money to get some gas because they ran out of gas and their wife is about to go into labor" or whatever are almost always scammers and drug addicts. And I personally find them very annoying.

So listen people: These beggars are like pigeons (only dirtier): if you throw them scraps, they will come back and back in greater and greater numbers.

Lets erect a city-data sign on this page: ¡PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE BEGGARS!

Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I believe the Arizona Voters sent all of The Scammers to Washington.

! ! ! ! ! !

Old 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,841 times
Dateline went undercover in Scottsdale for a segment about A/C repairs. A few good results...mostly bad.

Dateline NBC investigates air conditioning repairmen. - YouTube

Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Dateline went undercover in Scottsdale for a segment about A/C repairs. A few good results...mostly bad.

snip
Pity they didn't prosecute some of those guys. We're talking about thousands of dollars, and it's theft.

It's a little different, but I did mention previously on the forum about a certain plumbing company rushing to dig up my front yard. And it soon came out that the city would do it for free. The plumbers denied any knowledge the city did it for free (of course). I got the impression when they realised I was new to the country, they saw a golden opportunity and assumed (correctly) that I didn't have a clue. It was pure luck a city worker drove past.

The city workers told me others had been similarly duped, and one woman was in tears she had lost her savings. The job cost her $7000 dollars

You have to have your wits about you, that's for sure. Probably the best approach is always get a quote from a couple of different companies before having anything actually done. And as the video says, find people by word of mouth.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Great find, Bungle. Never ever will an AC tech come out and only charge you for a "tune up."

Kudos to George Brazil & Co......we've used 'em .

Old 04-23-2013, 12:24 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,084,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
AGREED!

But, also know that 99% of those bummy losers with sob stories at gas stations asking for "Just enough money to get some gas because they ran out of gas and their wife is about to go into labor" or whatever are almost always scammers and drug addicts. And I personally find them very annoying.

So listen people: These beggars are like pigeons (only dirtier): if you throw them scraps, they will come back and back in greater and greater numbers.

Lets erect a city-data sign on this page: ¡PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE BEGGARS!
Never give them cash.

Talkin' about feelin' uncomfortable.....you're standing there pumping gas and they approach you. You have nowhere to go.....

Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,941,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
It's a little different, but I did mention previously on the forum about a certain plumbing company rushing to dig up my front yard. And it soon came out that the city would do it for free. The plumbers denied any knowledge the city did it for free (of course). I got the impression when they realised I was new to the country, they saw a golden opportunity and assumed (correctly) that I didn't have a clue. It was pure luck a city worker drove past.

The city workers told me others had been similarly duped, and one woman was in tears she had lost her savings. The job cost her $7000 dollars
Is that really a scam though...or someone doing business?

This morning on Channel 3 they actually had a story about a company that charges $30/person to change your home address when in fact you can do it yourself for free at the post office, they spun the story to basically make it sound like a scam. The company offering the address change service did have on their website that they are charging for a service and are not affiliated with the post office.

I don't see how that is a scam...they are offering a service and you are paying for it. Is getting a haircut at a salon also a scam because you could cut your own hair?

Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,187 times
Thanks guys!

I've never watched one of Channel 3's segments but I'll give it a try. I only really know about the "Let Joe Know" segment since I saw the one last night.

If any of you are interested in checking it out, I read that tonight ABC15 is uncovering a prescription relief card scam. I guess some are OK and some are fraudulent. But I don't know anything about that to be honest.

I've also had a few friends move recently, so I've told them to look into his moving segment on Wednesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area