Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:04 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

I like Queen Creek and it's a lot nicer than I initially presumed. However, it's location just begs the question why anyone would choose to live there when you can live in places that are just as nice and much CLOSER! It's not like this is LA in which you are forced to live on the outskirts if you want affordable housing. Granted, you had to live further away from the epicenter but still, it wasn't Queen Creek or nothing. Even a few years ago, you didn't have to live all the way in Queen Creek if you wanted affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,845 times
Default Fact or Fiction

The fact is that moving to the less developed areas can save you thousands upon thousands of dollars. People are quickly discovering that during the boom many new developments were springing up all over the place. One of those locations is Queen Creek, AZ, an area that is perfect of couples, families and active adults (and yes even snow birds) the prices are just too good to be true.

How about a 1700 sq. ft home on the golf course for 125,000. Perhaps a 2300 sq. ft. family home for $150,000. or even a 1600 sq. ft. home in a gated active adult community for only $175,000. just like living in a luxury resort.

Take advantage now while the pickins are great!

Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM

609 posts, read 2,117,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I like Queen Creek and it's a lot nicer than I initially presumed. However, it's location just begs the question why anyone would choose to live there when you can live in places that are just as nice and much CLOSER! It's not like this is LA in which you are forced to live on the outskirts if you want affordable housing. Granted, you had to live further away from the epicenter but still, it wasn't Queen Creek or nothing. Even a few years ago, you didn't have to live all the way in Queen Creek if you wanted affordable housing.
Please tell us where housing is on a par with Queen Creek but "closer in".

Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
Please tell us where housing is on a par with Queen Creek but "closer in".
Queen Creek monthly average price per square foot as of April 16 is $60/sf.

Phoenix is $68/sf

Laveen and Avondale are also in that ball park.

The only thing that is taken into consideration in this stat is average sales price per square foot.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,720 times
I asked this same question myself and the response has been pretty much the same. They overbuilt, did the "weird" loans and then put buyers in them that really couldn't afford them. We are waiting to close on a beautiful home that we will use as a 2nd home in Queen Creek. I hate not living in it full time, but we aren't ready to retire yet, but felt that if we didn't act now, this opportunity was only going to knock once.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:53 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,664,218 times
Default Considering Queens Creek for retirement what about allergies?

I am originally from LA but have lived in WA for 18 years. In that time, I have lost the bronchitis from 40 years of LA smog but have become allergic to everything that produces pollen and I am tired of the Pacific NW cold and rain. I am considering Las Vegas and SE Phoenix due to the prices and the fact that there are not a lot of plants that grow. about 19 years ago when I lived in LA my job caused me to be in Phoenix once a year for auditing purposes. I remember getting irritation in my eyes as soon as I drove into the valley and the next day, when I woke up, my eyes would be totally sealed shut with gunk. I was not familiar with allergies at that time as I had none. The manager of the facility I audited told me that Arizona was a good place if you have asthma but not a good place for allergies because of some (spore? mold?) that is in the air. Can anyone give me some insight?

Also, I am looking for low crime areas in the SE Phoenix area. As I do not have to work, I am not concerned about a commute. TKS

Old 04-26-2009, 06:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Some people do have allergy issues here. I've never heard of any particular spore or mold that is the problem. For many, it is olive or mulberry trees (only when they are blooming), for others, it is some other plant, for others, it is mold or . . ..

Years ago, there were commercials (I think they were for Dristan) about "bringing your sinuses to Arizona". Well, people did, but once they got here they wanted some of the plants they loved from back home. And some of them DO grow here. So, it isn't the mecca for those with respiratory ailments that it used to be, but there are a lot of people who don't have significant allergy issues, and I'm sure it is still better than a lot of other places.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:45 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Some people do have allergy issues here. I've never heard of any particular spore or mold that is the problem. For many, it is olive or mulberry trees (only when they are blooming), for others, it is some other plant, for others, it is mold or . . ..

Years ago, there were commercials (I think they were for Dristan) about "bringing your sinuses to Arizona". Well, people did, but once they got here they wanted some of the plants they loved from back home. And some of them DO grow here. So, it isn't the mecca for those with respiratory ailments that it used to be, but there are a lot of people who don't have significant allergy issues, and I'm sure it is still better than a lot of other places.
Yes, bermuda grass is a big one. People who are sensitive to molds like me get some relief here. I do anyway. But , I think much of what is passed off as "allergy" in AZ is nasal and sinus irritation due to the dryness.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:17 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes, bermuda grass is a big one. People who are sensitive to molds like me get some relief here. I do anyway. But , I think much of what is passed off as "allergy" in AZ is nasal and sinus irritation due to the dryness.
I have a Bermuda issue, but not airborne, only if I have a lot of actual physical contact with it. And there is a lot less mold here, for obvious reasons. Good point about the dryness being the problem for some. Makes sense.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
The difference I see in "allergies" is that in cooler places you have "allergy season", in Phoenix you have allergies all year long. There are several bloom times. Plus the dust blows and so does any pollen laying in the dust. We don't have much rain to keep things on the ground. So if your neighbor mows his lawn without a bag to catch it in, it is soon in your yard. etc....
My sister (cold climate) only has "spring" to contend with every year! I have all four seasons, with exception maybe to summer. I don't seem to notice allergies as much when it's really hot. But some people say they due. It might be to the dust from the monsoon. lol Depends on your "allergy issues" I suppose.

Heres the places to avoid moving to: http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/26.../#cnnSTCOther2
We aren't as bad as these cities. lol

But:Allergy Myth: No Allergies in the Desert

This used to be true, but for years people have been moving to the desert climates, along with their plants. As a result, the growing season of these plants is year round. So, places like Arizona and New Mexico now have as much pollen as the rest of the country. If you're thinking about going to the desert to get some relief from your allergies, you'll just be wasting your money.
http://abcnews.go.com/gma/allergyand...1926282&page=1

So not worse but not better either.

Last edited by twiggy; 04-26-2009 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area