Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 01:57 AM

29 posts, read 97,318 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about the academics, professors, atmosphere...etc of ASU and all of it's different locations. Info on how things work too like if they are great at academic advising or the professors don't seem to care or anything would be a great help!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 02:03 AM

111 posts, read 224,686 times
I didn't go to ASU but it's been rated both the #1 party school on the US, and the #1 school for STD rates in the US, so come to your own conclusions.

If I could do things all over again though and choose a college based on parties and hot girls, I'd go to ASU.......

Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,224,697 times
The main campus is in Tempe. That's where all the action is. The Polytechnic, west, and downtown campuses are boring branch campuses. ASU is kind of a hybrid between a traditional residential college and a commuter school. Most students live on campus freshmen year, then move off campus to nearby apartments in Tempe for the rest of their college experience. A lot of students live at home with their parents and drive in every day. ASU serves as THE university for the Phoenix metropolitan area. If you're out-of-state, and do not have a scholarship, it is a poor deal. If you're from Arizona and get in-state tuition, it's a great choice. Whether or not ASU is a "good" school depends on a bunch of things-- like what you're majoring in (ASU is known for good business and engineering programs), your personal work ethic and competitive drive, and if you're in the honors college or not. It's a HUGE school, and too big to generalize in the way you are asking. What is it you are thinking about studying?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
I didn't go to ASU but it's been rated both the #1 party school on the US, and the #1 school for STD rates in the US, so come to your own conclusions.
Both of those claims, btw, are BS, rumors with no facts to support it, and are years out of date. I won't deny that many students at ASU like to party-- but so do kids at pretty much every other college.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 AM

111 posts, read 224,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Both of those claims, btw, are BS, rumors with no facts to support it, and are years out of date. I won't deny that many students at ASU like to party-- but so do kids at pretty much every other college.
Just drive through ASU campus if you think this is b.s. ... especially in the warmer months when you actually see hundreds of girls going to class in bikinis to "keep cool" ......

Old 11-01-2007, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
your personal work ethic and competitive drive, and if you're in the honors college or not. It's a HUGE school, and too big to generalize in the way you are asking. What is it you are thinking about studying?
My major is biology, pre-med, I am competitive I work hard in school, I'm sort of an older student at near 26. I have between 30-40 units left to finish my degree. My fiance and I are looking at moving to the area so I was just curious about the college. I would take one year of physics at the JC there just part time to gain residency prior to transfering into ASU. And I will more than likely obtain my masters there as well, or just a post bac cert in public health. I would like to atted AT Still or Azcom which is why we want to move out there.. and we are sick of california for numerous reasons.
I don't need the party school I don't mind if it's boring, so one of the other campuses might be best. I like to keep to myself at school, show up do my work and leave, I'm not one for hanging out around campus at all. Does that help?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:48 AM

Ok... now you've given us a much more clear picture of who you are and what your needs are. ASU is really investing in their biosciences programs, so if that's your major, and if you do succeed in obtaining in-state residency, ASU could be a good choice. I would still recommend the Tempe campus though, since that's where the core of the school's disciplines and the best professors are located. A couple years down the road, the downtown Phoenix campus MIGHT be a viable school-- but as of now, it's basically an experiment. Last year they just built a new BioDesign Institute at the Tempe campus. A lot of biology students, even as undergrad, get internships working there. As a science major I think would avoid most of the dregs of the school-- since those people are looking for the easy way out. One thing I would say though... is don't live anywhere within 3 miles of the campus if you want to avoid the "college life" part.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:03 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,760 times
Go to there website and locate a guidance counselor and they will help you with everything via online. You can take a virtual tour too. My father was a professor at ASU and I grew up around the campus. I use to spend days wondering around the history buildings and M.U. while he taught class. I never saw all the bikini's though. lol I guess people who major in history aren't the bikini type. lol P.S. there are a lot of 25 to 35 yrs. there, you aren't old.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:45 PM

What about living on the other side of phoenix like near glendale, peoria, surprise.. not sure if those are close to one another... and going to the tempe campus from there?

Old 11-01-2007, 06:45 PM

or what about living on the scottsdale side and going to Tempe campus, that would not be a bad drive right? I currently do 54 miles one way on the cajon pass!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area