Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 12:07 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times

Advertisements

This is just to satisfy my intellectual curiosity. Studied demographic patterns in college and still have an interest in it. Have always lived around north central Phoenix and worked around this area plus in the west valley. Was in sales, so have done quite a bit of driving around most of this side of town.

Moved out of state for just over 5 years and now that I am back I have noticed an uptick in the amount of African Americans that I see around town. Live near Sunnyslope and ten years ago it was rare to see an African American walking around, now I see them on a regular basis. I also spend a lot of time around Goodyear, Avondale & Tolleson and have noticed more out in this area as well.

One of my old neighbors said that some of them are refugees that have settled into the area. Are the rest coming from California?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 PM

408 posts, read 581,020 times
I'm not really sure where most of the blacks in AZ are coming from... it does seem to be a good majority from the west coast cities (Los Angeles, Oakland, even some from the NW such as Seattle). A good chunk and a lot of the new people relocating are actually from the Midwest cities as well; i.e. Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee and St Louis.

The black population has been on the increase of a lately, like within the past three years. I've been here since late 1994 and remember how relative small the community was back in the mid 90s and the lack of good barbershops options I had Scottsdale growing up as a child. Phoenix had one good radio station back then, MAJC 107 or something of that nature. Many AA where exclusively on the Southside during this time and not as near spread out as now...so that explains why you didn't see much in North PHX at the time.

Now Many AA's spread out by choice, and have good access to more nightlife, entertainment, and options regarded black culture. Central Corridor and Downtown Phoenix has a very noticable presence which is nice to see, as many are middle class or working class professionals. South Phoenix is more in poverty and struggling overall, excluding the area near Baseline and 24th and so on...

So I hope that helps you out a lil bit.. maybe some more ppl can spread knowledge on this!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,719,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
One of my old neighbors said that some of them are refugees that have settled into the area.
Yes, there are quite a few refugees in Sunnyslope and Maryvale as well. You can usually tell the difference between Africans and African Americans. Differences in skin darkness, how they dress, how they act and carry themselves etc...

Old 05-09-2013, 01:21 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Why should being Black have anything to do with ........ well anything?

I lived at 200 South Mountain Avenue for years, and my Son was at one time one of only 17 Caucasians at the High School. He had problems at school but that area of Phoenix was always black and I never had any problems.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post

I lived at 200 South Mountain Avenue for years, and my Son was at one time one of only 17 Caucasians at the High School. He had problems at school but that area of Phoenix was always black and I never had any problems.
Like I said in my original post, just intellectual curiosity. Was gone for about 5 years, returned and saw a noticeable increase of African Americans in neighborhoods that they did not live in before.[mod cut-- off topic for this thread]

Last edited by observer53; 05-09-2013 at 04:48 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
This is just to satisfy my intellectual curiosity. Studied demographic patterns in college and still have an interest in it.

One of my old neighbors said that some of them are refugees that have settled into the area. Are the rest coming from California?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post

Did you even bother to read the o/p's question? It has nothing to do with where you lived for years. S/He's asking about current migration of AAs into the Phoenix metro area.

O/P, I shop at the Wal-mart near PV mall, and a lot of their employees are from Nigeria (I know because they have a very distinctive accent and I asked). So I imagine it's a combination of people moving for economic reasons (regardless of race or ethnicity) and migration from other parts of the world.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
O/P, I shop at the Wal-mart near PV mall, and a lot of their employees are from Nigeria (I know because they have a very distinctive accent and I asked). So I imagine it's a combination of people moving for economic reasons (regardless of race or ethnicity) and migration from other parts of the world.
The Wal-Mart in N Scottsdale off of Northsight has a bunch of Nigerian workers too. I wonder why. They're always smiling and they make me feel REALLY short!

Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The Wal-Mart in N Scottsdale off of Northsight has a bunch of Nigerian workers too. I wonder why. They're always smiling and they make me feel REALLY short!
I've noticed this too. Forget what Wal-Mart I was in and asked one of them stocking the shelves where the ketchup was. Was met with a blank stare and had to explain what it looks like and what it is used for.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:14 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,139,841 times
If I recall correctly quite a few from New Orleans relocated to the valley after Katrina.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM

77 posts, read 123,300 times
Very interesting. My parents are Nigerian but I grew up in the US(citizen). Honestly that was one of the things that scared me a little about moving to the Phoenix area initially. I know we shouldn't care but it never hurts to see faces that look like yours. I have visited twice and I am moving this fall and really looking forward to it. I am a little confused when you say refugees are you saying from Africa, Katrina, or both?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area