Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 07:19 PM

892 posts, read 1,499,892 times

Advertisements

Are there any place close to the NW valley to go hiking when the sun is going down? I've recently started getting more active, and eating better in an attempt to drop about 40lbs, and finding that it's rather difficult to stay motivated just doing weight and cardio training in my living room, but now that we're coming into the hot season, doing it outside during the "normal" hours after work isn't really going to be an option soon either (I feel like I'm going to die in the heat already just walking around...until I get in better shape, putting forth serious physical effort is something that I don't really think I should be doing, lol)

I found that when I was attempting to get into better shape when I was unemployed a few years ago that making a morning loop around the hills in Thunderbird park was really enjoyable, and made me want to go back every day...sadly I ended up getting a job in IT that involved me sitting my butt in front of a computer for 10-12 hours a day sucking twinkies and Mountain Dew...eventually I got lazy my butt got pretty fat again

I've noticed that the parks around me all seem to basically be open from sun rise to sun set, which means I can't go in the morning, or in the evening when it starts to cool down. I know I could go up to Table Mesa, and I'm quite familiar with the area from playing with my rock crawlers up there, but it is a bit of a drive to do frequently.

Are there other options outside of walking around the neighborhood at night, or joining a gym (which I have no interest in doing, lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 07:28 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times
Hmmm, not sure what the times of Dreamy Draw park are (northern ave & the sr 51 freeway.) But I believe they have a walk-in entrance 24hrs a day. Then there's Phoenix mountains (Glendale ave east of the sr 51 freeway before it turns into Lincoln Dr.) But I don't know what their hours are. Sorry I couldn't be much of help.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Sorry I couldn't be much of help.
No worries Even suggestions to look somewhere is help, especially when someone is as much of a picky arse as I am right now, lol.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,760,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
No worries Even suggestions to look somewhere is help, especially when someone is as much of a picky arse as I am right now, lol.
I feel ya! I'm pretty picky about where I hike too. I take my golden lab with and hit the trails early mornings. Sadly, for my golden and I, the hiking season is over. She just doesn't handle the heat as well anymore.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
North Mountain Preserve is good, you can park where 7th Avenue dead ends just north of Peoria. Lots of people hike early in the morning and late at night. Don't think you will get busted for hiking after the local parks close, they post hours to keep the riff raff out. If you are exercising I doubt anyone will say something.

Buy a good headlamp, makes hiking at night a lot easier.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
Plenty of people run, walk, or hike before the sun goes down. Don't use that as an excuse to not exercise.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
...Are there other options outside of walking around the neighborhood at night, or joining a gym (which I have no interest in doing, lol)
I know you specifically asked for other options, but personally my favorite hike starts at my front door and ends at my front door. Depending on which way my feet take me there are infinite routes and things to see walking the city streets near my home. I have noticed new things about my neighborhood and surroundings that I never would have noticed before. Plus, when I'm done my "hike", I have no need to sit all sweaty in a car and fight traffic, I'm already home.

I know you wanted other suggestions, but I thought I'd share anyway for whatever it's worth...

Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Plenty of people run, walk, or hike before the sun goes down. Don't use that as an excuse to not exercise.
Plenty of people run marathons, lift hundreds of pounds, climb mountains, swim miles across lakes and rivers, and plenty of other things that I don't think I should be attempting in my current physical shape as well, lol.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I know you wanted other suggestions, but I thought I'd share anyway for whatever it's worth...
I live in a sea of cookie cutter houses...it's not terribly exciting, lol. It really makes me miss living in northern Michigan quite a bit...but then I remember how frigid cold it got for months at a time, and suddenly the sea of boring isn't quite so bad any more, lol. I just keep hoping that I get a transfer at work to some place outside of the valley in the coming years

I really liked the laps around the hills (I really can't bring myself to call what we have in the valley "mountains", lol), as they gave me a little more variety in the ability to push myself as I felt ready for more, and it wasn't the same block after block of pavement. But that said, I have been doing laps around the neighborhood as something is better than nothing

Old 05-13-2013, 09:38 PM

76 posts, read 166,277 times
I know some gyms have rock climbing walls... not your usual 'gym' activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area