Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 PM

284 posts, read 701,537 times

Advertisements

We have relatives in Sun City whose 94 four year old father (also in Sun City) has lost his drivers license and has no car insurance but is still driving. He has the keys when the family visits and keeps the garage doors closed and locked so they can't disable the car. The Sun City Police say they can't do anything unless they catch him in the act of driving. He has had numerous minor accidents and the family is afraid the next time he will hurt someone. The family also has very little money for lawyers. What can they do?

Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 AM

68 posts, read 162,126 times
sneak in when he is sleeping or wait outside of his house and when they see him driving call the cops.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 AM

44,654 posts, read 61,707,500 times
First of all there is no such thing as Sun City Police Dept. They do have a volunteer Sheriffs Posse that has no authority to arrest people or him specifically. They can call a real officer only. It's the Maricopa County Sheriff's Dept that you would need to call if he's out driving, and with only one or 2 officers covering about 50 square miles on a regular basis getting one to catch him would be luck.
Try to dis-able the vehicle and get the keys out of his possession. You might try to get a hold of a public service person of authority or clergyman to come talk to him about his responsibilities. Otherwise he's a disaster waiting and yes a legal problem. Does he understand this and what he's doing to his family and public.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,013,746 times
He should be advised that there are many volunteer agencies that will drive him to stores, appointments, and doctors office.
Church volunteers.
If he is a veteran - many veterans agencies due such.

Provide a solution before just disabling or taking away the car.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:55 AM

59 posts, read 123,920 times
I agree with Unit731.

Perhaps a serious conversation, followed by a list of solutions, will help. He must realize that he is not losing his freedom or dignity in giving up driving, but is risking his life and the lives of many others by continuing to drive.

Best,
Jonny

Old 05-15-2013, 07:20 AM

537 posts, read 1,546,992 times
Could he be transitioned to a golf cart? As long as he didn't try to take it on the freeway, I think that would be legal and slower. So many garages in Sun City have one. Ah, the golden years. I saw an aftermarket option for my car with navigation. It's a module that tracks your car and its speed that you can view from your home computer. Good for the teenagers,too.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,459,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
Could he be transitioned to a golf cart? As long as he didn't try to take it on the freeway, I think that would be legal and slower. So many garages in Sun City have one. Ah, the golden years.
He still has to be a licensed insured driver to drive one of those on the streets. There have been serious accidents involving people driving golf carts and others driving cars. I don't think this is a safe solution for him or others.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 AM

19,448 posts, read 27,893,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyNYC90 View Post
I agree with Unit731.

Perhaps a serious conversation, followed by a list of solutions, will help. He must realize that he is not losing his freedom or dignity in giving up driving, but is risking his life and the lives of many others by continuing to drive.

Best,
Jonny
As someone who lost their driving privileges for medical reasons for a 6 months period, I can assure you that he IS losing his freedom and dignity. At least, he will feel that way. And the services provided as a replacement are less than acceptable to most people who feel they have a 'right' to drive.

That said, his safety and the safety of the public have to take a priority.

Have the conversation, give him his alternate transportation services, then wait for him to drive the car out of the garage. Call 911 and report him as a dangerous driver. It's not going to make Thanksgiving dinner a happy event.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 AM

681 posts, read 1,562,120 times
Personally I would have the conversation and try to bring it to resolution (highly unlikely) and then I would just pull the battery from his car and not tell him.

Might sound harsh, but it also might save his (or some innocent stranger's) life. I wouldn't try and get him "caught" driving - that will cost him more than his dignity, it will also cost him some significant cash. Some might say that would be a deterrent or a "deserved" punishment, but I disagree.

Sorry - missed the part about him locking the garage door - Watch where he puts the keys to the garage and steal them when he falls asleep? I really think the key is to somehow "disable" the car... with or without his knowledge.

Last edited by TiredOfyycCold; 05-15-2013 at 08:28 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 AM

537 posts, read 1,546,992 times
Jam a potato in the exhaust pipe so the car won't start. Shut off the circuit breaker to the garage door opener. Park an old truck in the driveway on the other side of the garage door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: