Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:49 AM

7 posts, read 25,594 times

Advertisements

Moving into the West Chandler area on Ray and McKemy near the tracks and wanted to know if there is an actual freight train schedule. I spoke to a few neighbors in the area and they said it normally runs on the weeknights (Tues-Thurs) between 6pm - 9pm...but last Friday night around 9:30pm, I noticed the train pass through on Chandler Blvd (near Harley Davidson store)

Anyone have any idea? I call Union Pacific and left a message with the AZ office, but have yet to receive a call back.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Why?
Trains are so rare around here, it sure wouldn't be anything to worry about.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:49 AM

7 posts, read 25,594 times
PhxBarb, do you live in the area?

I just spoke to customer service for UPRR and gave me the info...they run on an average of 4x a day with no set time or day of week. it averages 15-20mph so its pretty quiet.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanmano View Post
PhxBarb, do you live in the area?

I just spoke to customer service for UPRR and gave me the info...they run on an average of 4x a day with no set time or day of week. it averages 15-20mph so its pretty quiet.
It is the horn 3 times at every grade crossing that gets to you.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
OK I understand now.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,945,731 times
Ponderosa: That area is in a "no horn" zone. I also lived at Ray and McKemy (though I didn't back onto the tracks). Great neighborhood, near just about everything you could need. I never noticed a train. In a year of living there, I think I got held up on Ray Rd once.

Looking to move up to West Mesa or Tempe now, just to be closer to school. Didn't mind living in the area, but the 10 mile commute was a pain on a college budget (and traffic was a bit annoying headed towards Tempe / Phoenix on I-10 or the 101).

Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 7,802 times
Default Horn is blown by dog park off Kyrene-Carver

I've noticed the train horn always is blown when the train crosses Carver (off of Kyrene) next to the dog park. I know at Ray it says it's a no-horn crossing.

The only time I've seen the train is between 7 and 8 p.m. on weeknights. I didn't see it tonight (Thursday), but it had quite a large load on Monday night.

I was told at the Chandler train museum last weekend that one of the companies it services is an asphalt company in Chandler near Loop 202. I drove down 56th Street and there are quite a few manufacturers between Chandler Blvd. and further south several miles. Some may be on land owned by the Gila River Indian Reservation. Alcoa was one of the companies.

Although I know this isn't an accurate measurement, but I kind of feel that the more often that west Chandler train is running, the better the economy is doing.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 AM

69 posts, read 155,396 times
I live right by the train tracks off of Ray and McKemy. My house isn't one that directly borders the tracks, but it is really close. I can see the train from my front window. It is not that loud and I can't hear it from inside my bedroom.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:04 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,330 times
I live near the crossing you spoke of at Chandler Blvd. When the train is there it usually goes back and forth across Chandler several times as it drops off and picks up cars at the lumber yard who's name escapes me at the moment. As far as the schedule I usually count on them being there when it is the most inconvenient for me.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,600,127 times
I'm off Ray and Dobson and can hear the noise of the train whistle in my house even when the doors and windows are closed. It must be the one off Ray and AZ Ave, 2 miles away. It's faint, and actually kind of nice to hear it. Would not want to be in the apartments right next to it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area